The Two Holland Americas

Mekka

How did your friends know the ships were only half full? I doubt HAL advertises or makes an announcement on the ship that it is only half full. There is know way as a passenger to tell what the total amount of passengers is versus the capacity.

Usually the cruise log states the number of passengers onboard, along with distance sailed, fuel consumed etc.

We were old, unhip and out of it and left only wondering where do all these young people get the money to pay these prices?

Wow. I just realized how offensive this is.

I hope that you realize that your comment was extremely rude to the younger CC crowd who are successful professionals. It makes you look very bad.

How did your friends know the ships were only half full? I doubt HAL advertises or makes an announcement on the ship that it is only half full. There is know way as a passenger to tell what the total amount of passengers is versus the capacity.

and the passengers are normally told how many people are on board - either by the CD or the Captain at at least one function - so it's not hard at all to know how full the ship is:D

Usually the cruise log states the number of passengers onboard, along with distance sailed, fuel consumed etc.

I'd have to agree with others, it's no big secret how many passengers are on a given cruise. Sure it's not necessarily posted on the Internet for us left on land but once on board it's relatively easy to find out and indeed is frequently announced or published. I can't say I've always known the actual number on board but it was more that I didn't care than it was I couldn't find out. Might add that I've been fortunate to have been invited to the bridge on three or four cruises. One of the things I noticed is that there has been a chart or notice by the radio that clearly shows the "souls on board" both crew and passengers. I was told that is required information to have on the bridge in the event of an emergency.

It is the clientele that has changed; not the cruise line or the hotel brand name. We were old, unhip and out of it and left only wondering where do all these young people get the money to pay these prices?

Sheesh. Classic old grump blanket statement.

Young people who are successful professionals may earn more money than you did at their age.

Young people often put off having families to a later age, giving them more disposable income at an earlier age.

Young people have been putting off buying a house for the last few years in this economy and renting instead, again leading to more disposable dollars.

Not every young person is running up large credit card bills or underfunding their retirement accounts.....:rolleyes:

and the passengers are normally told how many people are on board - either by the CD or the Captain at at least one function - so it's not hard at all to know how full the ship is:D

Thanks for correcting me. I did pull out some of my cruise logs and did see it listed but I do not recall ever hearing it announced on any of my cruises. Maybe I am to busy relaxing and enjoying myself and just missed it.

Sheesh. Classic old grump blanket statement.

Young people who are successful professionals may earn more money than you did at their age.

Young people often put off having families to a later age, giving them more disposable income at an earlier age.

Young people have been putting off buying a house for the last few years in this economy and renting instead, again leading to more disposable dollars.

Not every young person is running up large credit card bills or underfunding their retirement accounts.....:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for saying this.

Also, might I add, that some young professionals, bought an very large, new house, at just the right time, and the mortgage is much less than they EVER paid for an apartment. Ugh. How rude.

I looked at all of my cruise logs and not one cites how many passengers on board.

I never heard any numbers at any function I ever attended. I; however, am just one of hoi polio and not a Neptune Suite chum of the Captain.

I'm not a chum of the Captain either.:p No connections :eek: Definitely on my cruise logs - underneath the statistics (last page on the back) Lists the tonnage, length of the ship, max speed, width of ship and number of guests and number of crew. It seems very strange that yours don't have it - unless HAL changed the system at some stage?

I've been on all the classes of the ships so I don't think that would be a factor?

My cruise logs do not cite the number of passengers. The statistics are there; e.g., water production,power,propulion and gross tonnage, etc.,; but, passenger capacity,either full or actual is not among those statistics cited.

My cruise logs do not cite the number of passengers. The statistics are there; e.g., water production,power,propulion and gross tonnage, etc.,; but, passenger capacity,either full or actual is not among those statistics cited.

strange - it's on mine. Right next to the width and length of the ship.

ie - last voyage - second segment - Guests: 744 Crew: 467

On all of my cruise logs - I didn't think this was something that varied:confused: Perhaps it does vary from ship to ship or voyage to voyage? My cruises are normally longer than 7 days generally speaking - so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not? Another HAL mystery it would appear!

Apparently, HAL has different cruise logs for different classes of passengers.

There really are 2 classes of passengers as far as HAL is concerned.

As I said, NONE of my cruise logs going back 10 year have the number of passengers included in the statistics.

Apparently, HAL has different cruise logs for different classes of passengers.

There really are 2 classes of passengers as far as HAL is concerned.

As I said, NONE of my cruise logs going back 10 year have the number of passengers included in the statistics.

No - the cruise logs have nothing to do with the 'class' of passengers at all. I don't really think there are 2 classes of passengers on HAL. Those that book suites get a few perks but nothing else other than a larger room. They get the same meals, the same entertainment, etc. Now on other cruise lines that can be true. Ie, on NCL (the Haven) and on Cunard.

I got my first cruise log from the front desk as we didn't get one for that segment. So, it was the standard cruise log that went out to everyone. As well, others on our roll call had the exact same cruise logs (one of them was talking about what a nice 'touch' it was and that it's one of the things they like about HAL).

I'm not doubting your post at all with no data - I was just surprised.

It is strange they print 2 versions of the cruise log.

They know you at the Front Desk as a suite person; so, they gave you that version.

The idea that 'all passengers use the same ship, so the experience is the same" is elitist-sounding. The suite people PAY MORE so they should get more. I don't begrudge that. Similar to First Class airline passengers.

There is; however, a difference experience since hoi polio cannot go to Neptune Lounge and the exclusive parties. So, the experience is NOT the same.

Learning there are different versions of the cruise log proved that.

I have always had an inside room and never got any perks. As I said, the suite people PAY for those extras, so I don't begrudge them.

It is strange they print 2 versions of the cruise log.

They know you at the Front Desk as a suite person; so, they gave you that version.

The idea that 'all passengers use the same ship, so the experience is the same" is elitist-sounding. The suite people PAY MORE so they should get more. I don't begrudge that. Similar to First Class airline passengers.

There is; however, a difference experience since hoi polio cannot go to Neptune Lounge and the exclusive parties. So, the experience is NOT the same.

Learning there are different versions of the cruise log proved that.

I have always had an inside room and never got any perks. As I said, the suite people PAY for those extras, so I don't begrudge them.

I didn't show my key to get my cruise log. My cruise log matched others on the cruise. I also have cruise logs from when I was not in a suite - which again match.

do you seriously think they have time to print 2 versions of the cruise log? I don't. they must vary for some reason from ship to ship or cruise to cruise.

elitist? you haven't cruised with me - so you don't know - but I certainly am not. If I sounded that way, it was the not the intent. the point was that there is very little that someone in a non suite does not experience on HAL. And that the suite passengers eat the same meals, see the same shows, etc. (contrary to some other lines)

In any case - we can agree to disagree

I was simply advising my experience and where some of the info was.

smooth seas:D

I think we agree more than disagree. I used the "elitist-sounding" rather than calling someone an elitist. There are different experiences the suite people enjoy. One would be breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

Again,.. they paid for that experience and I would hope it would be better than the other experience. I would hope it is worth the extra money.

I don't know what to think on the 2 cruise logs. None of mine had that statistic. I would not think HAL would publish it (I believe you they did) because it is personal company information. Like how many cans of Coke Wal-Mart sold in a year.

I wasn't try to start any controversy. just bewildered that my logs don't have that statistic and others do.

No - the cruise logs have nothing to do with the 'class' of passengers at all. I don't really think there are 2 classes of passengers on HAL. Those that book suites get a few perks but nothing else other than a larger room. They get the same meals, the same entertainment, etc. Now on other cruise lines that can be true. Ie, on NCL (the Haven) and on Cunard.

I got my first cruise log from the front desk as we didn't get one for that segment. So, it was the standard cruise log that went out to everyone. As well, others on our roll call had the exact same cruise logs (one of them was talking about what a nice 'touch' it was and that it's one of the things they like about HAL).

I'm not doubting your post at all with no data - I was just surprised.

I'm wondering if the Prinsendam has a different "type" of cruise log than the rest of the ships. I can't recall ever seeing a pax count on any of mine but I could be wrong. If I remember I'll take a look when I get home tonight.

I just checked my Cruise Log from the June 1 Maasdam cruise. Passenger count and number of crew were clearly listed.

This was a garden variety 7-day cruise, on a routine itinerary, and I was in an inside cabin. Nothing "elite" at all.

HAL has the absolute best standard cruising bar none.

The room service, hot and you can write in anything (MDR room service) is not found on Princess, X , CCL or NCL.

For dinner RCCL used to, but no longer as I understand it.

Obstructed outside and above (most) have sofas, tubs (unheard of) and coffee tables.

For now, the wine policy, fruit baskets and DVD rentals,

HAL is standard cruising at its best, and includes more for standard cruises than any other non specialty mass market cruise line.

So... If you compare HAL, to other mass markets, then yes you do get perks! :)

For people who only cruise HAL, please know that its not like that everywhere! :)

I pulled out a few Cruise Logs at random.

I seriously doubt there are different Cruise Logs distributed to different cabin categories and nothing written here has 'proved' otherwise. Just because it is said does not make it true.

Here is why I doubt it.

Maasdam sometimes says how many guests and crew and sometimes not.

Sometimes it says what the weather was in each port; sometimes not.

A Maasdam cruise December, 2010 had 1,224 guestts and 551 crew.

A Maasdam cruise April, 2011 had 1,253 guests and 577 crew.

Other Maasdam cruise logs do not provide that information.

We are almost always in the same cabin on Maasdam and are always the same cabin category on all ships so the theory about there being two editions of Cruise Logs is questionable from my viewpoint.

Some logs from other cruises do not mention ship's name anywhere on the log. I only knew which ship as I remembered Officers name(s) and the date of the cruise/itinerary reminded me which ship but the log gave no indication.

Westerdam and Oosterdam are sister ships but crew was slightly different. Could be many reasons for small differences in crew..... Of two cruise logs I happened to pull out from many, one Vista had 808 crew and 2,096 guests on a particular voyage.

Another Vista ship had 1,845 guests and 803 crew.

Breakfast hours were different on some cruises on same ship........ Lido was Continental 5:30 - 9:30 A.M. and Buffet 6:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M. but on another cruise it was 5:30 - 8:30 A.M. for Continental and 6:00 A.M. - 8:00 A.M. for Buffet. Interesting actually comparing the differences.

Someday if I'm in the mood, I'm going to pull out all the cruise logs I have an make a chart... could be very interesting to actually see the drop in crew numbers from 'back when' to today. Maybe we are exagerrating the decrease in numbers and the real numbers may surprise us.

Neither my Maasdam January 4th nor April 1st 2013 cruise logs have the passenger count. You would think they would have a standardized boiler-plate format to fill in the statistics; so, they would all have the same information.

Both these cruises were over 7 days. I do not take 7 day cruises, except Alaska. Those logs did not have the passenger count.

What could be the reason for not including it on some logs.

The experience is different for someone in an inside from someone in a balcony or suite. The public access windows have been greatly reduced over the years. The showroom does not have the curtains open nor are there windows behind the curtains anymore. There used to be windows across from Ocean Bar and now there is a store. There are people who spend all their time in their cabin on the balcony and rarely go to any public space. Nothing wrong with that. They paid for it. It is; however, a different experience. Similar to someone in First Class airplane flight saying they had the same experience as someone in coach.

I think the discussion of the Cruise Log with or without passenger counts, points towards what is wrong with HAL right now. HAL can't decide what their market should be. The Cruise Log is a little thing, but why do they follow different formats? I would think in the great HAL Computer System in the sky there is a template that should be used to publish the Cruise Log. Obviously, there isn't. Why do folks get different answers from Seattle when they ask a question? Obviously, HAL doesn't do a very good job of training their Customer Service Department. HAL advertises itself as a Premium Cruise Line, but if you had some of the discolored towels that I had on my last cruise, you would know it isn't.

Do I like HAL? Yes. Have I had good cruises on other lines? Yes.

I would like to see HAL decide what market niche it wants to serve, price to that niche, advertise to that niche, upgrade or downgrade its level of service to that niche and be done with it.

Should there be two HAL's? I don't think so. It would get too confusing for the Customer Service folks in Seattle, Travel Agents and the cruising public.

What we SHOULD have is a HAL experience that is relatively the same from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. Granted, we all have our own experiences on a cruise. I can have a great time and think the staff is wonderful on a given cruise. I'll come on these boards and read comments from someone who was on the same cruise and they had a terrible experience. People are people.

But, HAL has to decide what they want to be. It will make my life simpler because I will know whether or not I should continue to look at HAL cruises or eliminate them from my pile of cruise brochures. (Of course, HAL has lessened that pile by eliminating the Cruise Atlas. Sigh, THAT's another example of HAL not knowing what it wants to be. ;) )

Archived