Just off Sojourn, some reflections.

Ravenscroft

We've just arrived home after a 7 day Baltic cruise on the Sojourn. Our cruise departed from Stockholm, on to Tallinn, Estonia, then 3 nights in St Petersburg, and finally Helsinki. We had a sea day yesterday.

We booked the cruise at very last minute. We travelled with another couple and since all four of us had work commitments, we had to try to fit in with each other.

Because it was a late booking, the only suite selection available was OB GTY. We were allocated to a V6 on Deck 8. Our suite location was excellent, even though we wouldn't normally choose Deck 8 because I'm quite sensitive to motion. Fortunately the seas were very calm. It's unlikely that I'd risk a GTY suite again in the future as I would be much happier on Deck 6 or 7 in more challenging sea conditions.

The ship was almost full, with 447 of us on board. I believe there were 220 from the US, 65 British, 47 Australian, and the rest were made up of varying nationalities.

There was a large family with more than 5 kids between them, and yes, we found them noisy and disruptive, particularly around the pool deck. We also noticed them running up and down the hallways of Deck 8.

We were told by a senior officer than SB is planning to introduce a Kid's Programme.

The food was mostly very good, although I did find the menus, in the MDR especially, to be very red meat heavy. The menus were pretty much the same as they were at Christmas on Quest.

The breadsticks did not taste as good. I should have asked if the recipe had changed, or perhaps even a slight difference in oven temperature could have been the reason.

We found the presentation of the food in MDR to be quite poor, especially during the last couple of days of the cruise when the only garnish available appeared to be some sort of cress and a cherry tomato.

The included wines were the same as previously, with the addition of a Sancerre which we very much enjoyed with lunch. We usually purchase a wine from the list at dinner. We felt the pricing of the wine list had substantially increased but to be fair,none of us could remember exactly how much the wines had been in December or what vintage they were, so perhaps that was just our perception that was mistaken.

Our suite stewardess was excellent, she was efficient and unobtrusive and we didn't have to ask once for our bar or toiletries to be replenished. I found the condition of the towels in the suite to be much better than on the Quest where they had seemed rather thin.

The service in general was very good to excellent.

We did have one Formal Optional evening. I would say around 15% of the gentlemen wore a dinner jacket (tuxedo). Some of the ladies wore cocktail dresses, but most were more informal than I've noticed previously.

Dress code with regard to not wearing jeans in the MDR was strictly enforced.

There were a few smokers on board but this time I didn't notice any problems with smoke, although we didn't use the Observation Lounge at all so I'm not sure how bad it was in there.

All in all, I'm very happy to report that the issues we had on Quest were not apparent on Sojourn.

We had a fantastic cruise and are now happy to have the choice between Seabourn and Silversea for our future cruises. Very glad that we gave SB another chance :D

Except for the new "Kids Program"!:eek:

......agreed......only 6or7 children onboard during our last week in 2012. They spent the week running up the steps at the pool bar, up to the golf area, around the sun terrace, back down the other side to the pool, then back around again and again and again especially at sailaway. A few falls, wailing, spilled drinks and temper tantrums along with teenagers sitting at the sky bar with their feet up on the spare chairs, one wearing his Glasgow Rangers football top, kind of ruined the last week of an otherwise great cruise. Having said that one couple had the most delightful 14 month old baby that just smiled and waved to everyone all day.

......agreed......only 6or7 children onboard during our last week in 2012. They spent the week running up the steps at the pool bar, up to the golf area, around the sun terrace, back down the other side to the pool, then back around again and again and again especially at sailaway. A few falls, wailing, spilled drinks and temper tantrums along with teenagers sitting at the sky bar with their feet up on the spare chairs, one wearing his Glasgow Rangers football top, kind of ruined the last week of an otherwise great cruise. Having said that one couple had the most delightful 14 month old baby that just smiled and waved to everyone all day.

Too bad they don't stay that way.:eek::D

This is now the 3rd time in as many weeks that a new kids program has been referred to me. (not happy about this)

SB and SS used to actively discourage kids.

Once here on the board and twice by friends who are SB regulars, (one long time poster here who does not wish to be named. I'm not really sure why, but they might jump in now this is public).

It seems, I am told that a contracted service (similar to the spa set up) is to be rolled out fleet wide (except the sisters due to the sale)

The contract "expressions of interest tender" campaign has already begun, so l have been told. Grrr!

But there is nothing on the web site.

When l rang SB Australia to inquire they played dumb and knew nothing.

I have no knowledge when this is to be "introduced" or whether this will be active for all cruises. One would think if they are advertising a contract it would be be across the board (l certainly hope not).

If this comes to pass l will be very disappointed.

It seems the levels of change now hitting the lux cruise sector is changing things beyond compare and what we once knew and loved is being redesigned to the point of "mainstreaming"

I am now seeing little difference between the lux and premium sectors.

Its a bit like politics in a way, everyone is moving to the center.

Even though l am happy to pay for lux, l am finding considerably harder to find the true product.

Maybe its just me and l am out in the cold. But my needs have not changed, and l am getting a little perplexed at continually being told they have to.

I know what l want and l should be able to find it.

Surely l am not the only one!

This is now the 3rd time in as many weeks that a new kids program has been referred to me. (not happy about this)

Once here on the board and twice by friends who are SB regulars, (one long time poster here who does not wish to be named. I'm not really sure why they, but they might jump in now this is public).

It seems, I am told that a contracted service (similar to the spa set up) is to be rolled out fleet wide (except the sisters due to the sale)

The contract "expressions of interest tender" campaign has already begun, so l have been told. Grrr!

But there is nothing on the web site.

When l rang SB Australia to inquire they played dumb and knew nothing.

I have no knowledge when this is to be "introduced" or whether this will be active for all cruises. One would think if they are advertising a contract it would be be across the board (l certainly hope not).

If this comes to pass l will be very disappointed.

It seems the levels of change now hitting the lux cruise sector is changing things beyond compare and what we once knew and loved is being redesigned to the point of "mainstreaming"

I am now seeing little difference between the lux and premium sectors.

Its a bit like politics in a way, everyone is moving to the center.

Even though l am happy to pay for lux, l am finding considerably harder to find the true product.

Maybe its just me and l am out in the cold. But my needs have not changed, and l am getting a little perplexed at continually being told they have to.

I know what l want and l should be able to find it.

Surely l am not the only one!

You are certainly not the only one. We are willing to pay for a certain product but most definitely not willing to accept a different product upon boarding!

Is it just me or does the Sojourn attract more adverse comment about food and service than the other ships and if so why.

The comments about children's programmes and the possibility that any new ship will take 550 people leave me cold.

They do that by the time we sail again next year and we will cancel. I have had four of my own and love the grandkids but the company of children is not compatible with a relaxing luxury cruise for us. Time and place for everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

the only garnish available appeared to be some sort of cress and a cherry tomato.

Thank you Ravenscroft for your thoughts

Did all guests get to use the garnish or did you keep it all to yourself.:)

Thank you Ravenscroft for your thoughts

Did all guests get to use the garnish or did you keep it all to yourself.:)

Chef was definitely spreading the cress around liberally, but I think I was singled out for the half a cherry tomato on everything I ordered.;)

On the subject of a programme for children, it was the first I've heard of it and was surprised. And rather glum. There again, perhaps it's still all at planning stage and won't actually happen.

One of the reasons that most of us choose a luxury cruise is because we enjoy a refined and sophisticated atmosphere. You don't get that when you have 5 kids dive bombing into the pool with accompaying shrieks and yells, nor when they spill their ice cream into the pool which happened on Monday.

Unfortunately, there is always a risk of having kids on-board during the school holidays. The idea of a kids program is probably more about managing a situation that is going to occur anyway rather than encouraging more kids.

One reason that we do not cruise during the summer months.

Unfortunately, there is always a risk of having kids on-board during the school holidays. The idea of a kids program is probably more about managing a situation that is going to occur anyway rather than encouraging more kids.

This is true with regard to the school holidays.

Of course the mistake that the four of us made, as Europeans, was to not be aware that US school summer holidays can start at the end of May. And we were also limited by our work commitments as to when we could travel together.

In most of Europe the summer holiday doesn't usually begin until the first week in July, and can be towards the end of July here in England. So we'd mistakenly assumed we'd be safe travelling in June.

We would definitely never take a European holiday in July or August for the same reasons as you, and now with our knowledge of US holidays, it would seem that June is out of the question as well!

This is true with regard to the school holidays.

Of course the mistake that the four of us made, as Europeans, was to not be aware that US school summer holidays can start at the end of May. And we were also limited by our work commitments as to when we could travel together.

In most of Europe the summer holiday doesn't usually begin until the first week in July, and can be towards the end of July here in England. So we'd mistakenly assumed we'd be safe travelling in June.

We would definitely never take a European holiday in July or August for the same reasons as you, and now with our knowledge of US holidays, it would seem that June is out of the question as well!

Besides the unique itinerary the early May timing of our booked Sojourn cruise was selected with US and European school and typical vacation schedules at least in the back of our minds. We pretty much avoid vacationing during the peak of the summer months and that may sound harsh but that's our choice.

I first heard about a childrens' program on the Odyssey world cruise in 2010 so things are not exactly moving at a fast pace. BUt the truth is it will probably happen. That is why I loved the triplets. People hesitated to bring kids on them because there was nothing for them to do or anyplace to go. On the O ships there is much more space and shorter itineraries which appeal to younger people, hence more kids. I can only imagine what will happen if SB builds a ship with one more deck for 550 passengers!

It's called Club HAL. And I really hope they're not going down that road with the exception of a Christmas cruise.

We pick Seabourn to avoid the kiddos. And there's really no space aboard to give them their own area.

Don't forget that with the changing demographics of the passengers, the definition of school holiday changes to a more global perspective. Summer months mean something entirely different to those of us in North America and Europe vs. passengers residing in Australia, South America, and other emerging markets now targeted by Seabourn.

There's also a huge difference in the occasional families boarding with children with Seabourn accommodating them (as they have in the past) with a game room, etc. In the current economic environment, I doubt that Seabourn will invest in a contractor to provide a children's program without an expectation of a revenue producing result. I would not be surprised to see a sales campaign targeting families, but I would be extremely disappointed and would reconsider our upcoming bookings.

The good news is that parents of children are likely to be very concerned about the smoking issue and may avoid Seabourn because of it!!!

Archived