Iceland - questions answered

Bus from city to airport is pretty easy. take one of the airport buses (Flybus or Airport Express). Taxi from there to the sites is going to be VERY expensive, though.

Rent a car in the city and do it yourself. There aren't many roads, they are all well marked and where you are going they are nicely paved or smooth gravel roads.

We have rented cars at the Akureyri port twice. It's easy now as Europecar has an office right there. See my August 2014 cruise blog for details of what we did on our second trip but there is a lot of great stuff to do there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

How can I find what you did? I just reserved a car and wonder about an itinerary thanks.

How can I find what you did? I just reserved a car and wonder about an itinerary thanks.
Minou57, if look at my signature (you may have to expand it to see all the lines), there should be a line for an August 2014 cruise. On that line, there is a hyperlink that will tale you to the review. Note that this was our second visit to Akureyri, so we didn't go to all of the main attractions. Our first visit was before I blogged so not many details from that... But Godafoss, Myvatn, etc. are well worth the visit.

I've been doing searchs' on this website and google. I'm looking for a company to bring my group of 12 from the port to the Blue Lagoon and back. They don't want to have to shuttle into town to then walk to the Grayline to get a shuttle. We also want to go first thing in the am. Any ideas?

I've been doing searchs' on this website and google. I'm looking for a company to bring my group of 12 from the port to the Blue Lagoon and back. They don't want to have to shuttle into town to then walk to the Grayline to get a shuttle. We also want to go first thing in the am. Any ideas?

You might check "Your Day Tours" we had different priorities but this is the company we just used for our private tour company last month.

• 3 weeks later...

Question about bus transportation in Reykjavik: From the Skarfabakki Cruise Port how to get to the Arbaer Folk Museum, and then to downtown, the Flea Market on a Sunday (Sept 2) The new Rick Steves guidebook mentions bus #16. I've tried looking on Straeto.is, but it doesn't have a schedule for bus #16. I'm a little confused, and when in Reykjavik I won't have a data-enabled phone, so would be grateful for advice in advance!

Kathy

I see what you mean. There is definitely a 16 bus but it doesn't seem to run on weekends. The 12 bus runs twice an hour on Sunday and will take you between the port and the museum, but it will take a bit longer as its route is more circuitous.

Go back to the straeto.is website and have a look at that timetable.

PS. The museum hours are 13-17 in September. Flea market first? The 12 bus route goes by there as well. Looks like the way to go.

Hotel Reykjavik Centrum is upscale. Stayed there a few years ago in winter. They have nice two-level junior suites and ours had a balcony looking out over the downtown area.

But I've heard that the downtown area can be noisy in summer. Usually we stay outside the city at that time of year.

Hi, interesting thread. Any hints on Eskifjordur in far eastern Iceland. Stopping for about half day on a Greenland/Iceland/Arctic cruise. Thanks

We stayed there overnight in June while driving around the Ring Road. I would recommend eating at Randulfssjóhús. It had great local food and is in a building that functions as a museum of the fishing industry.

• 4 weeks later...
Heading to Iceland next year and we are looking for suggestions for Isafjordur and Grundarfjordur. Thanks.

If you are into birds there are usually a number of excursions offered through your ship. However, we took the opportunity to experience a small Icelandic town (albeit overrun by visitors because two ships were in town). We walked the perimeter of the town, had Icelandic beers and a bite to eat at a shop and chatted with two locals, and then shopped a little in town. It was a nice experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Isafjordur is tiny but we had a good walk around and found a small fishing museum, entrance fee around 4 pounds. Upstairs was a tv showing a film of the old days fishing and it was interesting. There are a couple of nice coffee shops /bakeries in town

Looking for advice on a tour option to do the golden circle and south coast in one long day. Any recommendations? Can either be private group of 4 or 8.

I posted above that we used "Your Day Tours" not long ago...it worked out great for us.

Looking for advice on a tour option to do the golden circle and south coast in one long day. Any recommendations? Can either be private group of 4 or 8.

We just spent two days In Reykjavik (on a ship), and did the South Coast tour the first day, and the Golden Circle on the second (today). The South Coast tour alone is ten hours; I would not recommend combining these tours.

We did the South Coast tour with GeoIceland, and they were absolutely fabulous. The guide was one of the best we’ve ever had. And the South Coast is amazing. The Golden Circle cannot hold a candle to it.

At any rate, I highly recommend GeoIceland. Perhaps they can work out some combination for you, but I would not shortchange the South Coast.

Edited by Turtles06

Hullo,

We will be visiting on the Jade on October 3/4 and want to visit Hallgrimskirkja. It's a bit to far for my 70 something mother to walk. When the ships are in town, are there any kind of shuttles or transport from Skarfabakki Harbour to the town center? Or are taxi's easy to get from the pier?

Thank you for sharing your expertise

Tutu

Hullo,

We will be visiting on the Jade on October 3/4 and want to visit Hallgrimskirkja. It's a bit to far for my 70 something mother to walk. When the ships are in town, are there any kind of shuttles or transport from Skarfabakki Harbour to the town center? Or are taxi's easy to get from the pier?

Thank you for sharing your expertise

Tutu

We were just docked in Reykjavik for two days. There was a shuttle bus from the cruise terminal into the center of the city itself with a specific drop off point; tickets were sold at the terminal. (I can’t speak to this personally, as we were off on excursions.) I have two friends who took a cab into town to have dinner, and I suspect it was not a big deal to get one.

I hope that’s helpful. Enjoy your trip!