Sabatini's & the Crown Grill - must order items

Sale Away

I think three-star Michelin food is really all anyone could expect, as there is no 5-star Michelin rating.

Probably some confusion from whomever posted that. Getting one star from Michelin only goes to outstanding restaurants and I am not sure if any traditional steakhouses have qualified for Michelin star.

We enjoy Crown Grill, but I don't believe they serve USDA Prime Beef. They call it "premium beef". I've always enjoyed their rib eye and NY Strip is pretty good. The new gourmet salt selections are actually pretty good too. I don't remember any cruise line serving good quality steaks in their Main Dining Rooms even before these steakhouses started popping up. On an 11-day or 12-day cruise, I'm good for one or two nights at Crown Grill with one steak and one seafood or veal rack. Last trip to Sabatini's on the Caribbean Princess was a bit of a letdown, but we'll give it another shot on the Royal. Could have been a bad day, but it was our first time with the new (and not improved menu and dining style).

I had the lobster at Sabatini's and wouldn't go back. It was mushy and fishy. We were treated to the specialty restaurant. I don't find it necessary to spend extra when there are so many great venues to eat included in my cruise fare.

What happened? We are on Caribbean Princess at the end of September.

Sat us at our table and took our order and served us first course. Then after we had finished that they then moved us to another table which in their opinion was better. When they bought main course mine was wrong so they left the wife's with her side orders and took my main course away. She had to start eating hers because it was going cold, by the time my main course was right she had finished her meal and then because my side orders were by now cold they took them away and I then had to wait while my main course was going cold while they cooked me fresh side orders. It was total fiasco and the waiter tried to blame me for the main course being wrong so I told him to clear everything away that we didnt want any dessert and we left the restaurant. At no time did the head waiter/maitre'd come to the table and apologise so we left with wife in tears. I have never on any cruise ship whether it be a speciality restaurant or main dining room encountered such poor service.

Why do you respond to specific questions with unwanted answers? OP was asking about specialty restaurants, not the UBD.

As for Casey's response, don't listen to it. Maybe Casey expects five star Michelin type food, but I have found, for the most part, food on Princess to be very good. I really liked both specialty dinner, and if you have a chance to try the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, it is a wonderful experience. Also, don't forget the international cafe (no charge). It has great selections of desserts, sandwiches and pastries.

Casey, you ought to be sailing on Seabourn or Crystal... This is a new Princess cruiser. Lets focus on the many positives of Princess instead of spewing your negativity. Thank you.

You berate another poster about mentioning the UBD and then YOU turn around and ALSO mention the UBD??? :rolleyes:

We visit the Crown Grill twice each cruise. We love the Black and Blue Onion soup. I get the filet an lobster and he gets the porterhouse. On the second visit, I get the rack of lamb and he gets the filet. I can never handle dessert but he always leaves room. :)

We were disappointed in Sabatinis on our last cruise. Maybe it was an off night.

I had the lobster at Sabatini's and wouldn't go back. It was mushy and fishy. We were treated to the specialty restaurant. I don't find it necessary to spend extra when there are so many great venues to eat included in my cruise fare.

That's the beauty of 'choice'. I had a superb meal at Sabatini's, the best meal in seven nights aboard Ruby Princess by a long shot. On Allure of the Seas the week before that I ate in every specialty restaurant not only for dinner, but also several times in the ones that offered lunch as well. And while on Royal Princess I have plans to dine in or use all of the surcharge venues at least once in the fourteen days I am on her. I can eat in the MDR the first week, and all of the specialty venues the second week. Lots of choices, not enough time.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Sat us at our table and took our order and served us first course. Then after we had finished that they then moved us to another table which in their opinion was better. When they bought main course mine was wrong so they left the wife's with her side orders and took my main course away. She had to start eating hers because it was going cold, by the time my main course was right she had finished her meal and then because my side orders were by now cold they took them away and I then had to wait while my main course was going cold while they cooked me fresh side orders. It was total fiasco and the waiter tried to blame me for the main course being wrong so I told him to clear everything away that we didnt want any dessert and we left the restaurant. At no time did the head waiter/maitre'd come to the table and apologise so we left with wife in tears. I have never on any cruise ship whether it be a speciality restaurant or main dining room encountered such poor service.

Given the experience - I think I would have asked to speak to the Matre'd and requested that they reverse the charges.

We ordered fish in Sabatini's on our first visit, sent order back, ordered something else, i.e., Veal chop which was excellent. No reason to accept less than a positive experience.

At no time did the head waiter/maitre'd come to the table and apologise so we left with wife in tears. I have never on any cruise ship whether it be a speciality restaurant or main dining room encountered such poor service.

In tears?? Disappointments happen and your experience was horrid but tears?

On the Grand South America cruise we went to Crown Grill and ordered the sea bass. Absolutely fantastic! The second time we went we wanted to try a steak but were missing the sea bass. We got to order the sea bass as an appetizer (although it sure looked like a full portion) and steak as entree.

We were on the Golden Princess July 7-14 (Alaska cruise) and went to the Crown Grill one evening, as we usually do.

This time the experience was not as pleasant. It started out very poorly. My husband's ribeye came out cool. My filet was fine, but he was unhappy so we asked the waiter to return it. He came back with the manager and she took it back along with mine so that we would have our meals at the same time. She also took our "sides" back and returned them all with our newly cooked meals. What could have been a bad situation was made pleasant and memorable, thanks to the manager and "my big mouth". Never sit back and take it... ask for someone in authority. They will show up at your table. Believe me, they want your business and your recommendation on the survey you receive. I personally don't care for Sabatini's and their new menu. I really don't find the entrees to be "Italian". Again, that's just personal preference. Enjoy all.... and happy cruising.

It was a special birthday occasion for the wife and the reason why we booked the cruise. Thank you for your caring attitude

IMO all the more reason you should of asked to speak to the head waiter/maitre'd and if that did not satisfy then you should have gone to the Hotel/Restaurant Manager. Have always found the staff to be more than willing to accommodate and rectify any problems. Sorry the special occasion was not as you planned.

IMO all the more reason you should of asked to speak to the head waiter/maitre'd and if that did not satisfy then you should have gone to the Hotel/Restaurant Manager. Have always found the staff to be more than willing to accommodate and rectify any problems. Sorry the special occasion was not as you planned.

I did complain went straight to Pursers desk they took details what happened and said somebody would be in touch the next day. There was no response so went again to Pursers desk and went through the complaint again and was told again that somebody would get in touch. Finally got a phone call from somebody from restaurant manager department after 2or 3 daysand he knew nothing about my complaint he only found out because the maitre'd had to fill in a report to explain why we had not paid for our meal. He was very apologetic and said he would make sure the people involved would be spoken to and offered us a complimentary bottle of wine with our meal in dining room that evening in Sabatinis which was superb with excellent service.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all the contributors who made mouth-watering suggestions and the photos OMG!

I am rather new to CC and this will be my first trip on Princess. So I find the input valuable but am frankly shocked at the trolls who post here. I don't understand why CC tolerates this.

But despite them, this was a really valuable thread.

Would it be obnoxious or otherwise frowned upon to order both lobster tail and steak? Its not even that I require that much food, i just like surf and turf :)

It would not be frowned upon at all. We went to Crown on formal night, which was also lobster night in the MDR. We were in the mood for beef and didn't care about lobster. In addition to the filets we ordered, they brought four lobster tails for the two of us without us asking for it. It was delicious.

My advice is to eat a small salad for lunch on the day you are going to Crown. It's a lot of food.

We liked the Crown Grill so much that we went twice during our cruise on Star Princess. We wanted to go a third time but could not find the time.

The Appetizers and Sides were shared between the two of us.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer. And yes, I would love to go to dinner with you! ;)

APPETIZERS

1. Seared Pacific Scallops with Smokey Bacon Crisps and Truffled Potato Confit
  2. Spiny Lobster Cake

Soups

1. Shrimp and Pancetta Bisque
  2. Black and Blue Onion Soup

Seafood

1. Several Main Lobster Tails each (Grilled with Garlic)

Steaks

1. Filet Mignon each

Sides

1. Scalloped Potatoes
  2. Asparagus
  3. Sauteed Mushrooms

Desserts

1. The Crown Dependence (A very tasty sampling of desserts)

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

Not to pick on you specifically, but, why did you not complain about the quality of the lobster? My wife is from Maine and after several trips back there I know what good lobster tastes like. I have had lobster from Maine, in Maine, from the Gulf of Maine fresh and frozen. I think that I know what good lobster is supposed to taste like. I have even gotten it from Costco that was frozen and from Maine. If I ever get a bad lobster dish I send it back (believe me I have done it more than once). If I spend good money on a premium dish like lobster I want it to be good.

• 4 months later...

The menu at Sabatini's was changed from when I sailed on Princess in April. The entrees didn't sound all that appealing last month on the Sapphire but we had dinner there as a gift from our TA so decided to give the salt-baked striped bass dish a try. This entree is for two and takes longer to prepare but boy was it worth it. The presentation, from breaking open the salt crust, to de-boning the fish to the final splash of olive oil was quite a show. And then the flavor. Absolutely wonderful. My sister usually doesn't like fish all that much and when she eats it she usually drowns it in lemon juice. She didn't need any lemon for this dish. Highly recommended.

Jackie

any 'NEW" recommendations to this thread?

Sabatinis:

The burrata appetizer (to die for)

the artichoke souffle

Entree: the lobster three ways, branzino for two

Crown Grill (I dont eat red meat):

Scallops appetizer

Whiskey shrimp with onion fried rice

lobster tail

dessert: chocolate obsession