Policy on vacating rooms on disembarkation day

HazeGray

The policy lately seems to be that you must vacate by 8:00.

Princess does not "call" colors. Based on your tag color and number you are assigned a specific time to arrive at one of the lounges where announcements are made as to when they are ready for you to leave the ship - the announcements are only made in the lounges.

8 AM is the time usually announced on board for everyone to be out of their staterooms. Princess makes sure that at embarkation, every cabin is ready, hence the early time for previous passengers to vacate their rooms.

Passengers are told where they can wait outside their cabins for their groups to be called. Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members have "special" lounges reserved with coffee, pastries and such.

Not Policy: Some people will arrange with their steward to semi-vacate while they get breakfast, leaving just some carry-ons (already packed) in the closet, allowing the steward to get their work done. Be aware if you do this, your door may be left open and your valuables are not being watched.

Not Policy: Others will tell you they stay in the cabin as long as they can.

Princess asks all passengers to vacate their cabin by 8 am. They will not throw you out if you overstay. However, I figure out cabin steward has worked so hard for us, the least we can do is get out on time so they can get their work done.

Princess asks all passengers to vacate their cabin by 8 am. They will not throw you out if you overstay. However, I figure out cabin steward has worked so hard for us, the least we can do is get out on time so they can get their work done.
I agree. One of the nice things about Princess is that as soon as you board the ship on embarkation day, you can go directly to your cabin and start your cruise. In order to make that happen, Princess ask passengers to vacate their cabins by 8AM. As Paul says, they won't throw you out and your steward will probably say, "Don't worry, we'll come back." The reality is that by doing so, you disrupt the process and force the stewards and helpers to keep track of your cabin and back track later to clean and prepare it for the next passengers. Every disruption delays boarding.

• 3 weeks later...

This will be new for us, as on HAL you stay in your cabin until you wish to leave or your color is called. Your cabin is always ready after embarkation...

RCCL did this on our last cruise with them years ago, but by the time we vacated our cabin the color had been called.

On Carnival, we self disembark as soon as we can.

I wonder if you need no luggage assistance if you can disembark when you like after breakfast? Anyone know how late the MDR is open on disembarkation day?

I remember one Carnival Cruise where some passengers must not have gotten the memo on when to leave the room. We had been assigned a late disembarkation, but didn't mind as we live close to the port. When our number was called, rather late in the process, they led us down a hallway of cabins on the same floor as the guest services. We were stopped by a big commotion in the hallway. The security were opening a cabin door and the people were yelling. They had still been asleep, complained about being rudely awakened, and said they still needed to pack, and that they would do it in about 90 minutes, after they showered and ate. I remember it being close to 10:30 a.m. There were about five people in the room, two adults and three kids. The parents/grandparents were standing at the door with the security and finally they went into the cabin to help the rest of the family pack up. When we were able to move forward a few feet we looked into the cabin and it was the biggest mess I have ever seen.

This will be new for us, as on HAL you stay in your cabin until you wish to leave or your color is called. Your cabin is always ready after embarkation...

RCCL did this on our last cruise with them years ago, but by the time we vacated our cabin the color had been called.

I wonder if you need no luggage assistance if you can disembark when you like after breakfast? Anyone know how late the MDR is open on disembarkation day?

MDR usually closes at 8:30 on disembarkation day.

Most all cruise lines want you out of your cabin by 8:00AM so the cabin steward can start preparing the cabin for the next guest. I just ask my cabin steward if it OK to just leave our carry on bags in the stateroom until after breakfast. As long as they access to the cabin there is never a problem and they will keep the cabin door locked. They start cleaning those cabins that are vacated first and get to yours last; but sometimes I'll find the beds striped and in a few cases the cabin is completed made up and ready for the next guest.

Ok that makes sense, so it would not be crazy to assume if you vacated your room at 8, you could then head to MDR to have breakfast and would be seated?

Yes, arrive around 8am and you will have no trouble being seated in the MDR for breakfast

Yes, arrive around 8am and you will have no trouble being seated in the MDR for breakfast

Thanks so very much, this is good to know as we are not early risers and the thought of going to sit in a lounge sounds horrible. I guess we have been spoiled. Hopefully we can have breakfast and then disembark.

On other lines, one can disembark when one chooses, if they do not need any luggage assistance. Is this the case with PCL?

On other lines, one can disembark when one chooses, if they do not need any luggage assistance. Is this the case with PCL?

You will be assigned a disembarkation time based on what you fill out on the form given to you earlier. At that time, you will meet in a lounge area and wait to be led to the gangway for disembarkation. If you are doing self disembarkation with your luggage, you will be given an early time. It is requested that you follow your time. Unlike other lines, Princess does a silent disembarkation. The only way you know if you are clear to disembark is to wait in your assigned lounge.

You will be assigned a disembarkation time based on what you fill out on the form given to you earlier. At that time, you will meet in a lounge area and wait to be led to the gangway for disembarkation. If you are doing self disembarkation with your luggage, you will be given an early time. It is requested that you follow your time. Unlike other lines, Princess does a silent disembarkation. The only way you know if you are clear to disembark is to wait in your assigned lounge.

Thank you for responding :)

This will be new for us, as on HAL you stay in your cabin until you wish to leave or your color is called. Your cabin is always ready after embarkation... Last time we were on HAL we boarded and had to lug our stuff around until the cabin call, about 1:30pm. We prefer the Princess system, where you can go directly to your cabin and start your vacation right away.

I wonder if you need no luggage assistance if you can disembark when you like after breakfast? Anyone know how late the MDR is open on disembarkation day? Early in the cruise you will receive a disembark questionnaire. Select self disembark. This is available at US ports, do not know if this option is available at all ports. You will leave your luggage in your cabin the night before. The day of disembarkation you will then go with all your luggage to the lounge/location stated in the instructions.The staff member in the lounge will advise when you can leave the ship. It will normally be around 7:30am.

see above

*From disembarkation on the Island Princess this past Monday:

Step 3:

Vacate your stateroom by 8:00am. Please plan your morning carefully as you must met with your colored luggage tag group at the correct time and location.

There were 4 self-help times starting 7:25 meeting time. The last one was 7:45 ( the ship arrived at 7:30). So as others have stated the self-help group are first off the ship. All groups off the ship by 9:55am.

Breakfast:

HC buffet 5:30 am to 9:30am

Dining room 6:30 to 8:30am

No room service

Hope this helps!

HAL has been having cabins open upon embarkation for about 4 to possibly 5 years now.

You keep all of your luggage with you? Even your large pieces?

To them self disembark or walk off disembark, means you do not need any assistance that morning.

That may/may not hapen on all sailings ... last Fall, on the Noordam, we had to schlep our stuff with us to the MDR, as the cabins were not ready til maybe 1pm or slightly later.

That may/may not hapen on all sailings ... last Fall, on the Noordam, we had to schlep our stuff with us to the MDR, as the cabins were not ready til maybe 1pm or slightly later.

Wow there must have been something to make this happen. I have yet to here anything about this. It is part of the HAL signature of excellence initiative that went fleet wide quite a while ago. It is a selling point for Travel Agents.

Maybe a noro outbreak or customs issue. This is definitely not the norm.

Archived