travelling in a family group - help please

hello fellow cruisers,

our next cruise we will travelling with our adult daughter and her partner.

any hints on how to keep in communications while on board and any other things that will make it a wonderful cruise experience for us all

thanks

When we travel as a group we always set a time for each day to meet at one place - i.e. Explorers Bar from 5pm. That way you don't spend half your day waiting for others to turn up at a certain time, there's always someone running late etc etc. You can use the cabin phones to leave messages on their message bank, put notes in their "mailbox" at front door. Also another tip - get a copy of the daily paper (Patter on Princess) highlight what you think you may want to do and then give a copy to the other people, that way if they are looking for you during the day they may then have an idea of where you may be at a certain time. Enjoy your cruise. Remember it's everyone's holiday and you don't want to be rushing from one place to another because you have set a time to be somewhere.

Hi,

You might also want to think about buying some Walkie Talkie's. If you buy good quality ones, they will work in most places in the ship.

Not sure how much it will cost to TXT on the ship, but that may also be a possibility.

Cheers,

Rebecca

I would forget about the two way radios (too many dead spots onboard) and also the use of your mobiles (too expensive). The suggestion of meeting places /times usually works best. Have a breakfast/lunch time meet up and maybe also a cocktail hour/dinner time. There are phones in each room that can be used to dial direct to the other room and you can also leave messages on these phones.:D

I would forget about the two way radios (too many dead spots onboard) and also the use of your mobiles (too expensive). The suggestion of meeting places /times usually works best. Have a breakfast/lunch time meet up and maybe also a cocktail hour/dinner time. There are phones in each room that can be used to dial direct to the other room and you can also leave messages on these phones.:D

That is the best way to go. You will soon know what activities you each go to during the day. Arrange to meet for lunch at a specific time and same for dinner or pre-dinner drinks.

Hi,

You might also want to think about buying some Walkie Talkie's. If you buy good quality ones, they will work in most places in the ship.

Not sure how much it will cost to TXT on the ship, but that may also be a possibility.

Cheers,

Rebecca

I've never seen anyone use Walkie Talkie's on a ship but I have seen several threads on CC where people have complained about other passengers using them.

I think marking the patter with things one is likely to do for the day is a good idea as well as planning to meet up at certain times & places during the day is an excellent idea. :)

We did this with our grand-daughter and it worked well. We all were free to enjoy the ship individually and still kept in contact throughout the day by meeting up occassionally, then dining together in the evening and going to the show that night.

We will use the cabin phone to leave messages etc also...thanks

I don't think the walkie talkies are a good idea or something we would do. I agree I have NEVER seen them being used by passengers onboard and agree they might be annoying to fellow passengers.

AND using TXT could possibly bring a BIG headache when we return home with a huge account............lol! I think we'll play it safe and leave our phones at home anyway. ;)

In January my wife and I took our two children, their spouses and their four children aged between 3 and 12 (ten of us in all) on a cruise. We wanted to ensure that we were not in each others way every moment as we wanted them all to have a great time in their own way. While we had cruised a few times before this was the rest of the family's first cruise experience.

Without making too many arrangements we had just the most wonderful time as a family. We would just bump into each other regularly and had to make very few arrangements to actually meet up. Our only constant was that we had dinner each night together. We knew roughly where we would sit for breakfast and if we met up we would discuss the ship's programme for the day to see if we wanted to do anything together.

I certainly would not get too hung up about the whole thing. Just have a great cruise and enjoy yourself. Everything will fall into place. Don't organise yourselves too much.:)

I think marking the patter with things one is likely to do for the day is a good idea as well as planning to meet up at certain times & places during the day is an excellent idea. :)

We did this with our grand-daughter and it worked well. We all were free to enjoy the ship individually and still kept in contact throughout the day by meeting up occassionally, then dining together in the evening and going to the show that night.

We will use the cabin phone to leave messages etc also...thanks

I don't think the walkie talkies are a good idea or something we would do. I agree I have NEVER seen them being used by passengers onboard and agree they might be annoying to fellow passengers.

AND using TXT could possibly bring a BIG headache when we return home with a huge account............lol! I think we'll play it safe and leave our phones at home anyway. ;)

Take your phone for when ashore, free wifi in MacDonald's, etc.:D

I've never seen anyone use Walkie Talkie's on a ship but I have seen several threads on CC where people have complained about other passengers using them.

I have seen one person using a walkie talkie to communicate with their child on board, but as you say, there have been threads here complaining about this practice.

I have seen one person using a walkie talkie to communicate with their child on board, but as you say, there have been threads here complaining about this practice.

We took a set of three walkie talkies on a cruise with family (one with my brother and spouse, one with the kids and one with us). We found that they didn't work effectively around the ship and when they did work properly we were roughly in the same area (i.e. both on the top deck by different pools). We would recoomend not taking them. I have also read somewhere on a thread about walkie talkies that some countries advise that they are not legal onshore so also be careful of that.:D

I am on holidays and cruising, I do not need to be checking in all day so people know where I am.

When we cruised with the family, on sea days, we met for lunch at the MDR at 12.30pm., and we met again at 4pm for trivia and the following cocktails. That was enough, with the occasional phone message for dinner or the show. :D

Port days was meet for breakky or meet on the dock.:D

I am on holidays and cruising, I do not need to be checking in all day so people know where I am.

When we cruised with the family, on sea days, we met for lunch at the MDR at 12.30pm., and we met again at 4pm for trivia and the following cocktails. That was enough, with the occasional phone message for dinner or the show. :D

Port days was meet for breakky or meet on the dock.:D

We frequently travel as 3 adults -- a couple and my DH's cousin. We always have 2 rooms and they are often not together. Communication is not a problem and we are not joined at the hip. Usually we have a time to meet if we are going someplace together (example meet at the MDR table for dinner or at the staircase or door to the entrance of excursion waiting area as the whole group must be together to enter.) Otherwise let it be natural. Two of us like to swim and will sometimes plan to swim together or if we meet up it's great. One likes to sunbathe -- easy to find her but we don't join her.

The best thing about a cruise is that you can have many different people and their likes/dislikes satisfied without somebody else having to give up their preferences. Ideally you have the perfect match of togetherness and separation so every person feels in control of their vacation. Make sure that the "partner" is an equal in all ways -- could feel left out and alone if you and your daughter spend all the time with each other or plan and don't ask opinions. It really does work well if respect, independence and communication are practiced. Leave emotional baggage at home for inspection later. Don't worry Be Happy you are on a cruise with those you love! Happy Times.

Your daughter will be more likely to want to spend time with you if it is a choice and not a command.

It really does work well if respect, independence and communication are practiced. Leave emotional baggage at home for inspection later. Don't worry Be Happy you are on a cruise with those you love! Happy Times.

Your daughter will be more likely to want to spend time with you if it is a choice and not a command.

Great post. :D

We will see if I am just bluff talking! Tomorrow we leave!! :D:D:D

2 60's grandparents, 2 40's SIL (one liberal Episcopalian/one conservative Baptist very opposite but lovable) 2 wonderful daughters in 30's (oldest is liberal and youngest is not) an 11 year old granddaughter who is bringing 6 dresses for her fashion statement and a 4 year old grandson who is happy go lucky trooper. 4 women of strong opinions and 4 men who live with them. We are so excited as it is first cruise with all 8 but the 4th time to Disney World with 8 (24th time to Disney for grandparents:D, and 3rd time this year for Florida family). We all know cruising well enough to know where to head if:rolleyes: family time gets overwhelming -- the bar for one group, the gym for another group, and to my bed for MEME.

We will see if I am just bluff talking! Tomorrow we leave!! :D:D:D

2 60's grandparents, 2 40's SIL (one liberal Episcopalian/one conservative Baptist very opposite but lovable) 2 wonderful daughters in 30's (oldest is liberal and youngest is not) an 11 year old granddaughter who is bringing 6 dresses for her fashion statement and a 4 year old grandson who is happy go lucky trooper. 4 women of strong opinions and 4 men who live with them. We are so excited as it is first cruise with all 8 but the 4th time to Disney World with 8 (24th time to Disney for grandparents:D, and 3rd time this year for Florida family). We all know cruising well enough to know where to head if:rolleyes: family time gets overwhelming -- the bar for one group, the gym for another group, and to my bed for MEME.

LOL, good luck.:D

lol!

my daughter and her partner has a wonderful relationship with us. We all enjoy each other's company and know when and how to say we need some space.

Yes and will be

1. the gym

2. the pool

3. the coffee shop

4. the cabin

I think just to let it flow and catch up for dinner at night will be the best option. My DH & I kinda do that anyway when we cruise, as we both like some different things occassionally and seperate to do them and come together to do the things we both enjoy.

BEST of both worlds.

Thanks for your thoughts ;)

lol!

my daughter and her partner has a wonderful relationship with us. We all enjoy each other's company and know when and how to say we need some space.

Yes and will be

1. the gym

2. the pool

3. the coffee shop

4. the cabin

I think just to let it flow and catch up for dinner at night will be the best option. My DH & I kinda do that anyway when we cruise, as we both like some different things occassionally and seperate to do them and come together to do the things we both enjoy.

BEST of both worlds.

Thanks for your thoughts ;)

Good plan and enjoy.:D

We traveled with the family.... 15 of us... And every night at 5.30pm we met in the same bar for pre dinner drinks before dinner at 6. It worked out really well because then we had the days to ourselves and over dinner we had lots to talk about about what we did for the day. We are a 30yr couple it's nice to have time to ourselves.

We traveled with the family.... 15 of us... And every night at 5.30pm we met in the same bar for pre dinner drinks before dinner at 6. It worked out really well because then we had the days to ourselves and over dinner we had lots to talk about about what we did for the day. We are a 30yr couple it's nice to have time to ourselves.

That is the best way, otherwise being in each other's pockets gets tired very quickly.:D

Unless you need to be in constant contact, setting meeting times during the day or once a day is sufficient.

When cruising with friends and family, we always use evening meal time as our meeting and discussing the day and the next day's activities. We are not in a rush to eat and get out. We stay until we are done and most of the other passengers have already left the dining room.

We also meet (or most of us meet) at the theater for the show.

If at sea, we will meet at one or two daily events... something like trivia or the art auction. If plans change, we phone the room and leave messages.

Unless you need to be in constant contact, setting meeting times during the day or once a day is sufficient.

When cruising with friends and family, we always use evening meal time as our meeting and discussing the day and the next day's activities. We are not in a rush to eat and get out. We stay until we are done and most of the other passengers have already left the dining room.

We also meet (or most of us meet) at the theater for the show.

If at sea, we will meet at one or two daily events... something like trivia or the art auction. If plans change, we phone the room and leave messages.

This is pretty much what we do.:D

Archived