Volendam--July 10-24, 2013

Himself

Hi folks:

I was on the Volendam for two weeks this month. The ports of call were Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan. We started in Vancouver B.C. and that is where we ended. I have done this cruise before but this time with a different Captain and so the route was a little different. There were things I liked and things I did not like but that is life and the Captain is the boss. He tried to get us to the Seymour Narrows in daylight and was sucessful three of the four times. We usually went through it at night on the other cruises. The previous Captain took us inside a lot more. He used the alternate route. This Captiain took us out on the Ocean from the end of Vancouver Island all the way to Alaska. I preferred the previous Captain's route but I am not complaining. The weather was very good in Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay (the first week) and Ketcikan. The food was very good--I have not had a bad meal on HAL--and the entertainement was pretty good. The man who headed the Shore Excersions offfice--Kevin Farwell--did his usual fine job. (Yes, I have traveled with him before.) Brett Rudolph was the CD and was very good at the job of Cruise Director.

Two things that changed were 1. the "Dessert Extavaganza" was low key and was done in the Lido at lunch on the last Sea Day. It was done where they do the Continental Breakfast in the morning.

2. There was no disembarkation talk. The disembarkation material was sent to the state room and the recipient could read through it. I thought the Disembarkation was smooth.

I am off the ship a week and I already miss it! I took the Quick Shuttle to and from Seattle. It takes over five hours! I stayed in Seattle the last night and caught a 8:30 AM flight to Chicago Midway. ( I use Southwest where the "bags fly free.") I picked up my car and arrived back here in Roselle in the afternoon.

I would highly recommend this cruise.

Himself

Thanks Himself for the report on your Volendam cruise. That is one ship I've never been on though I have traveled on all her sister ships. Sounds like you had an interesting Captain. Glad you had a good time on your cruise. Welcome back.:)

Thanks Himself for the report on your Volendam cruise. That is one ship I've never been on though I have traveled on all her sister ships. Sounds like you had an interesting Captain. Glad you had a good time on your cruise. Welcome back.:)

the Volendam is the second of the "R" class ships and I liked her very much. I have been on this ship many times. HAL moved Captain Pieter Bos to the Veendam and moved Captain James Russell-Dunford from the Veendam to the Volendam.

I also want to thank you for your report and thanks for checking in while you were on the ship.

Welcome Home, although I know you would prefer to still be on board the ship. :)

I was cruised out and so I need a breather!

Thank you Himself.

That sounds like a horrible dessert extravaganza. We have been reading reports that it is being done away with.

Others have reported that on some ships the disembarkation talk has been done away with.

We always used HAL's transfers to get from Vancouver to Seattle and never had a problem -- nor was it that long.

How was the Mariner Brunch?

Thank you Himself.

That sounds like a horrible dessert extravaganza.

Certainly not surprising. That dessert extravaganza has slowly been slipping away over the last ten years. Seeing it go away, will not be missed.

We were on the June 26 cruise with same captain and we cruised right along the inside as far as we could. Sure we did because there was beautiful land alongside us the second day and the last day.

Could the currents make a difference?

Ellen

We were on the June 26 cruise with same captain and we cruised right along the inside as far as we could. Sure we did because there was beautiful land alongside us the second day and the last day.

Could the currents make a difference?

Ellen

That might be it. I was on for two weeks and we were outside on both cruises.

Thank you Himself.

That sounds like a horrible dessert extravaganza. We have been reading reports that it is being done away with.

Others have reported that on some ships the disembarkation talk has been done away with.

We always used HAL's transfers to get from Vancouver to Seattle and never had a problem -- nor was it that long.

How was the Mariner Brunch?

I do not do the Mariner Luncheon. I always eat in the Lido to be seen by lots of Passengers.

Interesting....we were on the Volendam in May and they still had the dessert extravaganza at night.

It just started this summer, probably after June 21st. (This is just a guess on my part.)

I was told it started "this summer.

Father, great to hear you had a good cruise. My daughter was on the June 12 Volendam cruise. When she described the dessert extravaganza she said it was on several decks by the staircases. Sounded very strange to me. Nothing like I experienced on the Volendam and Amsterdam.

It was disappointing to hear that the routing has changed. I always read that the HAL captains were among the best at cruising closer to shore and taking the more scenic routes. I know in 2008 we had a great cruise and were fortunate to travel through Grenville Channel. I have a feeling it comes down to saving money on fuel. What is happening to our beloved HAL?????

Father, great to hear you had a good cruise. My daughter was on the June 12 Volendam cruise. When she described the dessert extravaganza she said it was on several decks by the staircases. Sounded very strange to me. Nothing like I experienced on the Volendam and Amsterdam.

It was disappointing to hear that the routing has changed. I always read that the HAL captains were among the best at cruising closer to shore and taking the more scenic routes. I know in 2008 we had a great cruise and were fortunate to travel through Grenville Channel. I have a feeling it comes down to saving money on fuel. What is happening to our beloved HAL?????

I thought it might be the Captain's choice but someone was on a few weeks before me and he kept it inside as much as possible. There could have been some fog conditions that entered into the decision.

I thought it might be the Captain's choice but someone was on a few weeks before me and he kept it inside as much as possible. There could have been some fog conditions that entered into the decision.

I do hope it is not a permanent routing change, as HAL has been known for great captains who provided a better cruising experience in AK.

Thank you for your review! We will be on the Volendam later this month and can hardly wait for the cruisetour to begin!

I hope you enjoy the cruise. I hope you have gentle seas and nice weather. If you like fudge, try the Alaskan Fudge Company and tell Blue, Deb and Scott that Father McGeean told you of the place.

Archived