Food at Horizon Court

vent1020

We are traveling with my parents-in-laws in November on the Golden Princess. They are more meat and potato type people. I am starting to wonder if they wouldn't be more comfortable eating at Horizon Court, then in the MDR. Problem is, since I have never traveled on Princess before, I don't know what types of foods they serve there.

I have found tons of menus for the MDR, Sabatini's and Crown Grill, but haven't really found anything about what they serve on the buffet. Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't know where you got those menus....they are not posted on the ship. If they are not picky eaters, they will find plenty of "meat n potatoes" at the buffet! Besides the offerings in the hot plates, there is a daily meat which gets sliced to order that changes every day.

I don't know where you got those menus....they are not posted on the ship. If they are not picky eaters, they will find plenty of "meat n potatoes" at the buffet! Besides the offerings in the hot plates, there is a daily meat which gets sliced to order that changes every day.

I found them through a search here on CC. The person that posted the pictures said "I have seen the menu posted outside the Horizon Court on some ships, but certainly not on a majority of them."

Who knows, they may like the food in the MDR. I'll tell you, I am seeing more and more that the food aboard Princess is a step or two up from what I had when I cruised NCL(sans the pay restaurants)

The menu for the day is always posted outside the the Horizon Court as are the other dining options, that way you can make a choice about where to dine. Vent 2010 probably took a photo!

I do not recall ever seeing a menu posted, except for my first cruise on the Grand 11 years ago, where there was an after hours menu posted at the buffet which you could order from.

There's a variety of meat options in the MDR, too. The menus for the next meal will be posted outside each dining room every day. So you can swing by any of the MDRs in the late morning (before lunch starts) and view the menu (there will be one MDR open for lunch and that location will be posted in the Patters), and then check the dinner menu anytime during the afternoon (it will be the same menu for all of the MDRs that night). If they can't find something of interest, they can go to the Horizon and check their items. And then can decide which one they prefer for that night.

There's hamburger and french fries that will be available from late morning til 11pm at the poolside grill. We often have the chicken burgers from there for lunch.

We were on the Golden for two weeks last December/January and at that time (maybe still) there was a sirloin burger on the "always available" part of the menus. And you can ask the waitstaff if the chef doesn't mind substituting potatoes for the other veggies for an item.

I do not recall ever seeing a menu posted, except for my first cruise on the Grand 11 years ago, where there was an after hours menu posted at the buffet which you could order from.

I have never seen a Menu posted for the HC either, maybe there was one, but I was just going to dig in to the good food too fast to notice??? LOL!!! :D

Actually it would be nice if they did regularly post the menu for the HC!

Hungry now from this post!

Mark

We were on the Golden last aug and we too are meat and potato people, and we had no problems in the dining room or the buffet, but the steak house was by far the best. There is a charge to eat there but the meat was superb.

There are numeous choices on the buffet from roast beef to steak (not great) to fried potato, french fries. They will have no problems finding something they will like each and every meal. Have fun!!!!!

The HC always has a carving station and some sort of potatoes. The MDR's also have a meat dish and baked potatoes are always available. Some really like the buffet and always dine there. Others will not go near it. Our dinner preference is the MDR. You tend to over eat at the buffet.

Here are some Dining options on the Golden Princess.

Included in the fare

Main Dining Rooms open for breakfast and dinner each day and lunch on sea days.

International Café in the Piazza, open 24 hours, doughnuts, pastry, and egg McMuffin type sandwich for breakfast, paninis, salads, soup, soft cookies, desserts for lunch and dinner, cheese crackers, soft cookies, dried fruit, desserts, for late night and overnight.

Pub Lunch served a few times on sea days, normally in the Crown Grill.

Horizon Ct. Buffet, open continuously from 6am until 11pm or midnight.

Prego Pizza, pizza by the slice*

Trident Grill, burgers dogs, brats, chicken & fries*

Sundaes soft ice cream*

*open from 11am until around 9pm or later

24 hour room service, it is normal to provide a tip to the server.

Sushi is available at Vines Wine Bar, but only if you purchase a drink

Also available for a $25pp surcharge, reservations suggested.

Crown Grill steak & seafood

Sabatini’s Italian Bistro

Your in-laws might enjoy the food in the MDR and being seated & served. If not, you can just go to Horizon other nights.

Also, Crown Grill would be a good choice.

LuLu

~~~

Edited by OCruisers

We recall meat-and-potato items every day in the Main Dining Room... enjoyed several types of beef and pork. The Horizon Court buffet always has a carving station along with potatoes, vegetables and a variety of other tasty items. (We've never seen a menu posted outside the buffet on any of our cruises though. But we often take a stroll through to see what is being offered on any given day.)

I have seen the menu posted outside the Horizon Court, but it's rare. Each ship does things differently. We usually check the MDR menu early in the day and then walk through the Horizon Court when they start serving dinner. In the end, we almost always choose the buffet because it's easier and faster. Contrary to what someone else said, I usually eat less in the buffet. We love the salad bar. Your parents will find plenty of choices to suit them on Princess.

Keep in mind that the Main Dining Room menu has selections on the left side of the menu that are available each and every night. They include beef tenderloins, salmon, etc and then they could ask to add a baked potato or some other type of potato. Just wanted to provide you with another option besides the Horizon Court Buffet.:)

I have never seen a menu posted outside the HC. We are sailing next month and I will have to look extra careful for this. I almost always check out the MDR menu in the afternoon and then take a tour of the HC just before dressing for dinner to see if the offerings in the HC are more appealing to me than what the MDR is offering. The salad bar in the HC is fantastic to me and where I usually get my lunch. We usually end up half the time in the MDR and the other half in the HC.

OP;

Food is a very subjective thing. One thing I have noticed on several of my Princess cruises is that hot food in the HC is many times, only mildly warm at best. I rarely eat full meals in the HC. For the most part I stop by for a snack of some sort.....:):):)

Bob

It has been a long time since I have seen menus at the Horizon Court.

Being in the midwest and having a parent who is a meat and potatoes person, the dining room is your better choice! Your parents can always pick the potatoes off of other entrees and have them with your entree. Or speak with the head waiter and if they want a baked potatoe every night, they can do this. I find the dining room more flexible with requests.

The buffet most of the time is boring for me. A few cruises ago, we picked the last night to eat in the buffet and the main entree on the carving board was meatloaf. The rest of the items was pasta dishes that didn't look appealing. I think we went and got a burger. It was incredibly disappointing.

Edited by Coral

Only saw a menu posted outside the Horizon Court twice when we did the Mexican Rivera on the Sapphire Princess and Diamond Princess and it was really nice to know what the evening menu would be. Now my husband just stops by the HC during the day and asks to speak to the chef to find out.

And you can ask the waitstaff if the chef doesn't mind substituting potatoes for the other veggies for an item.

You can always substitute vegetables in the MDR if you would prefer something else. Although each dish lists specific vegetables, they will happily substitute any other vegetable that is on the menu that meal. After you choose your main dish, just look at all of the other dishes, and pick the vegetables that you want - they mix and match.