Cost of HAL wines

LindaM

some of the wines they are charging for $35+ you can go to the local wine store and buy for $9-11

Write your letters. 'pgoodwin@hollandamerica.com'; 'rmeadows@hollandamerica.com'; 'skruse@hollandamerica.com'

Send messages on the facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/HALCruises

:eek:

Facebook? I was just there, and there was no sign of a negative comment about ANYTHING -- it was all HAL generated unless a fan posted a photo of a HAL ship in port (RAH RAH).

You couldn't say "crap" if you had a mouthful -- I would bet it would be deleted in moments...

Regards, Ned

Facebook? I was just there, and there was no sign of a negative comment about ANYTHING -- it was all HAL generated unless a fan posted a photo of a HAL ship in port (RAH RAH).

You couldn't say "crap" if you had a mouthful -- I would bet it would be deleted in moments...

Regards, Ned

Look further down the page after clicking "see all". It was still all there the last time I looked. :)

A Canaletto wine we really enjoyed was a Chilean wine- Errazuriz Merlot. Sadly we have only found it on our NYC sailings to Bermuda on the Veendam. It has not been available on our FLL or Seattle sailings. Hopefully it will show up again.

I will look for it! Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is how bad the markup is on HAL wine. This is just 1 example. Over a 400% increase. [ATTACH]283189[/ATTACH]

There are more in that price range with the same type of mark up. I think for the cheaper wines a 200% mark up would be much more acceptable.

What will that change...the protest and not buying the wine. Right now people are not buying the wine in drove !!!! Only a few are drinking wine on a typical night in the MDR. Except when wine (cheap wine) is offered complimentary, then they do drink and a lot !!!!!

This wine issue is just about money. People are used to have access to unexpensive wine (the one they bring on) and they refuse to pay more. It is all about change and money, not great taste for great wine.

I humbly suggest that you don't have the slightest idea about what you are talking about.

Thanks for the info! As 3*, we get a discount on the wine packages, and still consider them a poor value ;) even though they end up costing less than wine we bring aboard and pay corkage for.

I thought that as 3* we didn't get any discount on alcohol packages - or is that just on liquor?

There are more in that price range with the same type of mark up. I think for the cheaper wines a 200% mark up would be much more acceptable.

Is there any empirical or rational data to support your suggestion of a 200% mark up or is it just a number picked out of the blue? :confused:

Is there any empirical or rational data to support your suggestion of a 200% mark up or is it just a number picked out of the blue? :confused:

I would guess that is a mark up she could live with. I don't know how the other lines mark up wine. Perhaps it's 200% as opposed to HAL's 400%.

I thought that as 3* we didn't get any discount on alcohol packages - or is that just on liquor?

I'm pretty sure 3* gets 25% discount on the Navigator and Admiral wine packages. I'm pretty sure I got that the one cruise we did buy a wine package. It was pretty vile ;)

Don't know about the "hard stuff" as we seldom drink anything but wine.

I'm pretty sure 3* gets 25% discount on the Navigator and Admiral wine packages. I'm pretty sure I got that the one cruise we did buy a wine package. It was pretty vile ;)

Don't know about the "hard stuff" as we seldom drink anything but wine.

They do get 25%. I know because I am going to miss it by only 5 days for our next cruise. It's especially painful because I may not be able to bring wine on, unless they impose a corkage.

I did just pull that number out of a hat. It didn't seem as outrageous as 400%.

I know that the cruiseline has to make some money off our drinking.

Nothing rational here at all.

Here is how bad the markup is on HAL wine. This is just 1 example. Over a 400% increase. [ATTACH]283189[/ATTACH]

Another example ... I can get Beringer White Zin for roughly $5, and HAL's price is $36.95, a 700% markup. I suspect there is a higher markup for the lower-priced wines, but I have no hard evidence to support that.

Another example ... I can get Beringer White Zin for roughly $5, and HAL's price is $36.95, a 700% markup. I suspect there is a higher markup for the lower-priced wines, but I have no hard evidence to support that.

When I searched prices for the offerings in the packages, there appeared to be less of a markup for the cheaper wines. We got the Navigator because I just couldn't justify the extra cost for the Admiral package. The wines were only a couple of dollars more per bottle---from the prices I saw online.

We checked yesterday (Monday) at the LCBO in our hometown in Ontario and the price was $9.95 and yes there is a high markup for it on Hal. TOO HIGH - thats why I stick to liquor, price is comparable to Cdn. prices.

When I searched prices for the offerings in the packages, there appeared to be less of a markup for the cheaper wines. We got the Navigator because I just couldn't justify the extra cost for the Admiral package. The wines were only a couple of dollars more per bottle---from the prices I saw online.

You mean "a couple of dollars" from the per bottle price of the Admiral vs. the Navigator? Surely, not from the land prices?

and are travelling with friends on the 24 day Magic of the Med next summer/fall. We got the "free" signature beverage package included. As a primarily wine drinker, I am now thinking this package is of little use as I only see the white zin falls within the price point (and thats way too sweet for me), and I read that I can't pay the difference in a glass that costs, for example, $10. I have heard there is a house wine on HAL, Santa Carolina? Can anyone confirm this, and if so do they have Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio and Cabernet or Merlot, and would these fall within the price point of the beverage package. These will be fine for me in the afternoon, and we can buy a bottle of nicer stuff at dinner. I do realize that I will get my "money's worth" (after all it was "free") on bottled water, specialty coffees, etc. which will be very nice.

and are travelling with friends on the 24 day Magic of the Med next summer/fall. We got the "free" signature beverage package included. As a primarily wine drinker, I am now thinking this package is of little use as I only see the white zin falls within the price point (and thats way too sweet for me), and I read that I can't pay the difference in a glass that costs, for example, $10. I have heard there is a house wine on HAL, Santa Carolina? Can anyone confirm this, and if so do they have Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio and Cabernet or Merlot, and would these fall within the price point of the beverage package. These will be fine for me in the afternoon, and we can buy a bottle of nicer stuff at dinner. I do realize that I will get my "money's worth" (after all it was "free") on bottled water, specialty coffees, etc. which will be very nice.

They have Santa Carolina chardonnay but not sure about the red.

We did drink it in the daytime (lunch etc) and not at dinner.

Archived