How bad could a balcony cabin be?

ChiGal1962

I'm considering the Sept. 23 Solstice cruise to Hawaii. I travel solo (hate those premiums, but such is life), so the difference between a guarantee balcony and the least expensive confirmed balcony category is about double the price. On a cruise with 5 sea days, for me a balcony is a must.

I've never done a guarantee. I have no expectations (or delusions) of ending up with the best aft balcony on the ship (if for no other reason than the roll call, those are taken!). I just want to reassure myself before splurging that, should I get the worst possible outcome, it's still going to be worth it!

Thoughts? Experiences?

These are the worst view balconies which are the category 2D that overlook the large tenders on Solstice class ships. One could be assigned an end 2D balcony or one inbetween the tenders with a partial view downwards like the second shot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=281660&d=1375839721

attachment.php?attachmentid=281661&d=1375839721

SolsticeHump2Da.jpg.51f1ff5d919ed3dcff0fa378b541f3c6.jpg

SolsticeHump2Db.jpg.200793c5b3c259ae070c05edc8939963.jpg

I have not been on Solstice, but I can show you an obstructed view balcony shot which might convince you to take the guarantee (see below.) The photo was taken from our balcony cabin on Carnival Fascination. The view is very "obstructed," but our enjoyment of the cruise was not obstructed at all! It was actually kind of fun to get around the problem of the obstruction in order to get some good photos -- my technique was to stand on a chair to get a view above the lifeboats! (This shot was not taken that way, though.) From what other posters have said, the obstruction you might end up with would not be anywhere near this bad.

ry%3D400

Our obstructed view was on a 5-night last minute "fun" cruise -- just a break for DH and myself, not a landmark or "once in a lifetime" occasion, nor, of course, a cruise as long as the one you are contemplating. But if you would not sail otherwise, my recommendation is to take the guarantee!

Excluding obstructed views, the worst are on Deck 6 above the theatre. You can hear all the noise of the rehearsals during the day, and then at night all over again....It is only not a problem if you are either out of your room and/or attending all the shows! Not much fun otherwise.

Second worse are the Aqua balconies directly below the gym area where you hear a constant noise from the treadmills. Have experience both, and will never take a Guaranteed balcony again as I don't want to risk repeating either experience.

For me, if worst case it was an obstructed view, that is still far better than having no balcony to sit out on so I would gamble and you know your worst case, but no one said you would get worst case

Once your GTY cabin is assigned, it is possible to switch to another available room in the same classification, e.g. 2C=2C. If at first there doesn't seem to be a viable option, keep checking. We booked GTY veranda on the Constellation and were assigned a 6139- I was so hoping for a "sweet 16" but all were taken. Several days later I saw one had opened up, called our TA and made the switch!

Go for it OP. !

You could think and think " should I , should I not " until the cows come home , the fact remains you don't know if you have a " good Cabin " until you get on the ship , and spend a few days and nights there.

The number of times noisy neighbours , door slammers, late night party people, etc etc have booked the next cabin next to my so called " ideal " balcony cabin !

Good luck . You will only find out on the ship, and who knows, the folks next door could turn out to be your new best friends. :D

Thank you all for your responses! I called tonight to try to book it and while they still have plenty of verandahs available, and plenty of verandah guarantees available, they have somehow sold out of their "quota" of guarantees for people traveling solo. I am still welcome to buy the same room at $2,900 now that would have cost me $1,500 this morning.

Even if this price comes down later, my chances of getting decent airfare probably will be gone, so opportunity lost.

Ah well, I guess you snooze, you lose.

What if you try a travel agent, maybe they could swing it for you? We're going to have fun!

Believe me, I read through the 100+ pages of the roll call .. sounds like a really fun group! I don't have a travel agent, but I suppose I could try to find one that I could trust. Just rather disheartened at the moment.

It's very frustrating when they do this to solo travelers. There are still forward view ocean view cabins available at the lower price, if you could stand not having the balcony. Last time I went solo (on silhouette) i barely used my balcony.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you all for your responses! I called tonight to try to book it and while they still have plenty of verandahs available, and plenty of verandah guarantees available, they have somehow sold out of their "quota" of guarantees for people traveling solo. I am still welcome to buy the same room at $2,900 now that would have cost me $1,500 this morning.

Even if this price comes down later, my chances of getting decent airfare probably will be gone, so opportunity lost.

Ah well, I guess you snooze, you lose.

I just looked at the Exciting Deals PDF and it looks like they are offering 150% for solo travelers on your cruise. Effective Aug 6-7th !!!!!

Call X!

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

I just looked at the Exciting Deals PDF and it looks like they are offering 150% for solo travelers on your cruise. Effective Aug 6-7th !!!!!

Yep, sadly, that's what I was referring to when I called them. I got too excited about the 150%. They are "sold out" for solos, but not for couples. They are apparently taking the gamble that they will get at least $2,200 by a couple for every balcony cabin (for the guarantee) than the $1,500 I would have paid them as a solo tonight. If they can get it, they made the right call.

As for taking an ocean view, I'm spoiled :) I spent a lot of time on the 15 night Panama Canal cruise last fall on my balcony -- 1st thing in the morning, late at night after the show, an occasional nap in the afternoon ... With 5 days at sea, I definitely want the balcony!

Me and missus have booked a guarantee balcony for our upcoming cruise, and have been allocated 6290. Have no idea how good/bad it is, but its a balcony!!

You landed a 2C. That's not a bad location at all, and you will not have lifeboats beneath you! :D You will be near the aft of the ship, starboard side, above Qsine - one of the specialty restaurants. Just be prepared for a "hike" to the stairs and elevators. Enjoy your balcony!

Yep, sadly, that's what I was referring to when I called them. I got too excited about the 150%. They are "sold out" for solos, but not for couples. They are apparently taking the gamble that they will get at least $2,200 by a couple for every balcony cabin (for the guarantee) than the $1,500 I would have paid them as a solo tonight. If they can get it, they made the right call.

As for taking an ocean view, I'm spoiled :) I spent a lot of time on the 15 night Panama Canal cruise last fall on my balcony -- 1st thing in the morning, late at night after the show, an occasional nap in the afternoon ... With 5 days at sea, I definitely want the balcony!

That's a real shame and I feel for you as I also travel solo every now and then. I did check, and they still have 33 veranda cabins that are "unsold". That is as of 8:30 this evening. After 2 days on the Exciting Deals board, you would think they would have sold more of them. Perhaps they will show up on next Tuesday's board? If you call at 12:01 AM on the 13th they would be hard pressed to tell you that they have "sold out their quota for "solo" GTYs". I have never heard that one before! Hey - we spend money too! :D

Have you tried a second phone call? Last year when I was planning my Summit trip, I figured out that Celebrity operates much like RCCL. If you don't like the first answer you get, try at least one or two more times. I ran into a problem getting an AQ upgrade at a price that I was about 90% sure that I was correct about. On the third phone call, I finally got someone that saw exactly what I saw on the website and agreed with me. BTW, she had ZERO problem putting the upgrade through (entire thing done in under five minutes), while the previous two reps insisted that the system wouldn't allow it.

Archived