Yet another luggage question...

As Paul alluded to, the x-ray machines aren't all that big, designed primarily for carry-on type luggage. So if you have any of the larger pieces I doubt if they will fit.

If a piece of luggage won't fit I wonder if the pax would be sent back to the porter area with the item and surrender the piece, then start the check-in process all over.

The x-ray machines are like the ones at the airports -- small!!

Thus you will have to check in your large suitcase with the porters.

Why would you want to haul a large suitcase onto the ship when someone can take it, put it in a carrier to go on the ship and then someone else will deliver it to your cabin?

Also -- what are you going to do with that suitcase if your cabin is not ready??

If she's going on Princess, her cabin will most likely be ready before passengers are allowed onboard. But if she can't put the suitcase through the scanner, she'll have to get it checked in, outside.

Better to make sure your valuables are in your carry on. Maybe when you get your luggage at the airport, if you're going directly to the port, you can take your bag aside and rearrange things. If you're going to a hotel (hopefully), just do it there before leaving for the port.

Hello again,

I should explain my reasons for this question.

Firstly, I have bought a complete set of new luggage which has 8 wheels on each case and is a doddle just to wheel it at the side of you and because it is new I was trying to avoid getting it scuffed on it's "first outing".

Secondly, there's a possibility I won't be boarding until after 1pm so I had it in my mind I could take it straight to my cabin.

From your responses it's a non-starter getting it through the x-ray equipment and I would hate to have to go back to the beginning and start all over again so I won't be chancing it.

Hello again, ...

From your responses it's a non-starter getting it through the x-ray equipment and I would hate to have to go back to the beginning and start all over again so I won't be chancing it.

Good move.

Hello again,

I should explain my reasons for this question.

Firstly, I have bought a complete set of new luggage which has 8 wheels on each case and is a doddle just to wheel it at the side of you and because it is new I was trying to avoid getting it scuffed on it's "first outing".

it's gotta get scuffed some time. On a cruise, on a airplane, whenever.

A well scuffed bag is a mark of someone that travels.

As Paul alluded to, the x-ray machines aren't all that big, designed primarily for carry-on type luggage. So if you have any of the larger pieces I doubt if they will fit.

If a piece of luggage won't fit I wonder if the pax would be sent back to the porter area with the item and surrender the piece, then start the check-in process all over.

I don't believe you would have to go back and start the checkin process all over again...they have employees stationed at the x-ray machines that would tag it (if it's not) and take it from you. But I also agree..I hate to bang up that new luggage...but that new luggage look doesn't last long as soon as it's out of your sight ;):eek:

it's gotta get scuffed some time. On a cruise, on a airplane, whenever.

A well scuffed bag is a mark of someone that travels.

Oh it will never get scuffed on a plane as I am terrified of flying :o

It has cost me a lot of money and I have seen how they handle the suitcases at Southampton :eek:

Another reason I forgot to say is that I may not be allocated a cabin number until I reach the pier and thought it would be an easier option just to take it with me.

However, I have heeded everybody's advice and I guess I will have to go with the flow :D

I've thought about trying it. If it is only a two week cruise, we only have one suitcase each and a backpack so we can easily do stairs and won't get in the way of others. The main reason I would want to take it with me is to be able to unpack asap so it is over and done with. I hate going to dinner and having to come back to unpack.

As long as there is someone at the Xray machines to tag them for you - go for it. I don't blame you for wanting to keep them away from the idiots that don't care and just toss them around.

Did anyone see the video of the UPS (or whatever trucking company it was) employee that was throwing packages - they got fired

I don't believe you would have to go back and start the checkin process all over again...they have employees stationed at the x-ray machines that would tag it (if it's not) and take it from you. But I also agree..I hate to bang up that new luggage...but that new luggage look doesn't last long as soon as it's out of your sight ;):eek:

I guess I've never noticed anyone by the x-ray machines that could/would take ones oversized pieces and hustle them off to the main luggage x-ray area. I've been more concerned with getting my carry-on(s) cleared, as well as myself (after explaining why I keep setting off the metal detectors), then getting checked in, etc.

I guess I've never noticed anyone by the x-ray machines that could/would take ones oversized pieces and hustle them off to the main luggage x-ray area. I've been more concerned with getting my carry-on(s) cleared, as well as myself (after explaining why I keep setting off the metal detectors), then getting checked in, etc.

Why do you keep setting off the metal detectors?

All this speculation about what happens if or when someone gets to the screening area with a bag too big for the conveyer is (at least in this case) for naught; at Southampton it is extremely unlikely you would get through the door into the terminal with a full size case. Unlike many US embarkation ports where once you clear the gauntlet of porters at the curb you may not see another employee until you reach the check-in counter, there are lots of helpful people who will redirect you to the bag drop marshalling the lines in Soton.

Oh it will never get scuffed on a plane as I am terrified of flying :o

It has cost me a lot of money and I have seen how they handle the suitcases at Southampton :eek:

Another reason I forgot to say is that I may not be allocated a cabin number until I reach the pier and thought it would be an easier option just to take it with me.

However, I have heeded everybody's advice and I guess I will have to go with the flow :D

I buy cheap luggage for my travels on public vehicles and save the really good stuff for when I go by car.

Why do you keep setting off the metal detectors?

I broke my right leg, two years ago, two weeks before an Alaska cruise. Now I have a metal plate in my lower leg and 15 screws holding it on; now I warn them ahead of time.

Archived