voice your opinion on balconies!!!!

boca7

I just read an article on cruise critic from Norwegian that new ships they are building will have smaller balconies as cruisers prefer larger space inside. Who are they kidding? Princess reconfirmed the Regal will be the same as the Royal. I switched from Norwegian to Princess due to smaller cabins & balconies. What is your opinion???

Assuming the extra space actually goes into the cabins, I would vote for that too.

But its situational. Since we always travel in a party of 2, a small balcony usually works fine for us. For a family, I could see it being a much bigger issue. But as has been noted on numerous other threads, except for certain locations and points of a trip (Glacier Bay, sailaway, leaving port) if you look at the sides of the ship, the vast majority of balconies are unoccupied a lot of the time. I am sure the lines have noticed this as well..

Unfortunately, structural and design issues make it very hard for ships to offer a large variety of balcony sizes other than fore and aft while still maintaining the aerodynamic profile the lines want to keep fuel costs down.

Balconies should be of sufficient width and depth so that two passengers can comfortably lounge with their feet up. This is especially important when ships are used for warm weather cruises. I believe most passengers in balcony cabins use their balconies at some point during the day, some for lounging and reading, some for sunning, some for an evening cocktail, some for an afternoon nap, some for a late night glass of wine. The balconies have to be large enough and comfortable enough to allow for this, and not cramped where the passengers have to fit onto the balcony like a jigsaw puzzle.

Cruise lines should strive for the comments like "Wow, we had such a beautiful balcony, I'm returning to this ship."

I just read an article on cruise critic from Norwegian that new ships they are building will have smaller balconies as cruisers prefer larger space inside.

Larger space inside their cabin, or larger public areas? I could see the former, but not the latter. On Royal, both the cabin size and the balconies shrunk. I can promise you that that was not at the demand of passengers. No one said: "Please give us smaller cabins and smaller balconies, but make Alfredo's bigger in return."

I agree with those that have responded so far. For us, a balcony is nice, but is is NOT a must to have.

If we had a choice between having more room in the room or the balcony, we would take putting more room room into the room.

We are warm weather people, and I they say Alaska is beautiful to see, but I know we would NOT be out much on our balcony, if it was chilly or cold. The only way we would want a balcony, is to know that we would be using it a LOT, unless they "upgraded" us FREE, which we would take.:)

Larger space inside their cabin, or larger public areas? I could see the former, but not the latter. On Royal, both the cabin size and the balconies shrunk. I can promise you that that was not at the demand of passengers. No one said: "Please give us smaller cabins and smaller balconies, but make Alfredo's bigger in return."

Do you have the figures to back up your statement? Pictures of mini-suites, and regular balcony staterooms have the same amount of furniture in the same layout as the ones I have been in on other Princess ships.:confused:

Balconies should be of sufficient width and depth so that two passengers can comfortably lounge with their feet up. This is especially important when ships are used for warm weather cruises. I believe most passengers in balcony cabins use their balconies at some point during the day, some for lounging and reading, some for sunning, some for an evening cocktail, some for an afternoon nap, some for a late night glass of wine. The balconies have to be large enough and comfortable enough to allow for this, and not cramped where the passengers have to fit onto the balcony like a jigsaw puzzle.

Cruise lines should strive for the comments like "Wow, we had such a beautiful balcony, I'm returning to this ship."

I agree entirely, the tiny parcel shelves on Royal and the upcoming Regal are deal breakers as far as I am concerned.

If balconies are so little used that cruise lines consider them unimportant, then why do we pay more for them and the new ships come with a higher proportion of balconies?

My impression of the Royal Princess, and I do not have actual figures to back this, is that the cabins are narrower. Combine this with a reduced depth for the balcony and you quickly notice how small they have become.

If balconies are so little used that cruise lines consider them unimportant, then why do we pay more for them and the new ships come with a higher proportion of balconies?

You answered your own question... Balconies are not important for many, but since there are no OV cabins, the balcony now 'becomes' important for people who need some light in their room!! Hence - charge more for them and make them so that you really don't want to spend time there.

Do you have the figures to back up your statement? Pictures of mini-suites, and regular balcony staterooms have the same amount of furniture in the same layout as the ones I have been in on other Princess ships.:confused:

Do you have a preference?

Mini Suite on Golden per Princess 323sf including balcony of 49sf

Mini Suite on Royal per Princess 299sf including balcony of 36sf

Balcony cabins are similar and you can validate these by doing a dummy booking at princess.com

Mike:rolleyes:

More importantly, what is the primary use of balconies. For us, we like access to fresh air, and the aforementioned specific situations, but we don't use them a LOT. The extra space and tub in a mini-suite has always been a priority and most of those have balconies, so that's a win.

Also, quite frankly its cheaper to make a ship more homogeneous.

People are asking the wrong question. Do cruisers want balconies? Yes? Are LARGER balconies important, perhaps not so much.

You answered your own question... Balconies are not important for many, but since there are no OV cabins, the balcony now 'becomes' important for people who need some light in their room!! Hence - charge more for them and make them so that you really don't want to spend time there.

I'm for smaller balconies. You only need room for 2 comfy chairs and a small table (for wine glasses + olives ;))

I'd like a bigger shower recess as compensation.

Too bad they've changed the balcony furniture on many ships and we no longer have "comfy" chairs but quite uncomfortable ones (imho).

I'm for smaller balconies. You only need room for 2 comfy chairs and a small table (for wine glasses + olives ;))

I'd like a bigger shower recess as compensation.

Firstly... from other posters, the chairs are not "comfy".

Second... many people travel with friends and family, and they like to be able to get more than two people on their balcony (happy hour??). I agree.. for two people they are probably adequate... if you don't want to relax, spread your feet out on the railing, read, and just snooze for a while.

Let me rephrase the statement.. "Please give us smaller balconies and maybe smaller cabins, but give us more places LIKE Alfredos." I think you might get a much more positive response.

It's no secret that RCCL (which along with Celebrity, I consider to be PCLs closest competitors) has gotten raves for their supplementary dining in the past few years (both fee and non-fee). Based on our last cruise on the Liberty, I'd say there is a LOT of demand for spaces like they have on there (small live venues, dining options (Pizza and Salad, Pub, Johnny Rockets, Sushi, Wine, etc). Other than Ben and Jerry's oddly enough, all of them were ALWAYS well populated. The other thing they constantly get positives on? Size and variety of buffet.

If you look at the Royal, they traded cabin/balcony space for exactly those amenities that get used, while skipping some of the ones that have more limited appeal to keep the overall size manageable (rock climbing wall, flowrider, ice skating rink).

I'm certainly not saying the design is perfect, but I can see the logic behind it in a lot of areas. Now, if Princess would only MARKET her..

Are you sure?

I've read that one should not place a value judgment of the size of the cabin and the size of the balcony and should instead refer to them as being different than other ships, not better or worse.:rolleyes:

Do you have a preference?

Mini Suite on Golden per Princess 323sf including balcony of 49sf

Mini Suite on Royal per Princess 299sf including balcony of 36sf

Balcony cabins are similar and you can validate these by doing a dummy booking at princess.com

Mike:rolleyes:

I haven't been on the Golden. They might have made the mini-suite a smaller size on the 3000 passenger ships. Those that I have experienced don't seem to be any different in size from passenger posted pictures and videos of the Royal.:rolleyes:

I just read an article on cruise critic from Norwegian that new ships they are building will have smaller balconies as cruisers prefer larger space inside. Who are they kidding? Princess reconfirmed the Regal will be the same as the Royal. I switched from Norwegian to Princess due to smaller cabins & balconies. What is your opinion???

I'm not sure what they meant by larger space inside - cabins or common areas?

But for us, we like the mini-suites on Princess (larger ones, not smaller - it varies by ship) and we definitely want a balcony where we can do the ultimate balcony dinner. We also like to do the champagne balcony breakfast, but you need a decent sized table to do it on your balcony.

I haven't been on the Golden. They might have made the mini-suite a smaller size on the 3000 passenger ships. Those that I have experienced don't seem to be any different in size from passenger posted pictures and videos of the Royal.:rolleyes:

Oh so now we are going to go by pictures instead of actual measurements?

You can compare most any other of the Princess ships and basically come up with the same ratios.

I don't think it would matter what Princess states on their booking engine since they "seem" to be about the same size.

I am as big a Princess cheerleader as anyone but the facts are the Royal offers less cabin space and less balcony space for more money than their other ships. If you are happy with that, then sail her.

Mike:)

Oh so now we are going to go by pictures instead of actual measurements?

You can compare most any other of the Princess ships and basically come up with the same ratios.

I don't think it would matter what Princess states on their booking engine since they "seem" to be about the same size.

I am as big a Princess cheerleader as anyone but the facts are the Royal offers less cabin space and less balcony space for more money than their other ships. If you are happy with that, then sail her.

Mike:)

I watched a cruisers video tour of a Royal mini and didn't see any difference in size or furniture placement to the minis I have been on.

I will be sailing her and I'll be sure to let you know after I have sailed her, whether the Mini is smaller on the Royal than the Emerald. :)

Facts are the Royal offers less cabin space and less balcony space for more money than their other ships. If you are happy with that, then sail her.

I think this about sums it up. I travel in mostly insides. However, Royal Princess is pricey even for an inside. I'm not jumping at it. Maybe if they had some really fabulous itinerary. Even the TA on the Royal this year was not as good as the itinerary on the 2012 Ruby TA. Also I wouldn't want to pay those inflated balcony prices for a product that is smaller than other Princess ships.

I watched a cruisers video tour of a Royal mini and didn't see any difference in size or furniture placement to the minis I have been on.

I will be sailing her and I'll be sure to let you know after I have sailed her, whether the Mini is smaller on the Royal than the Emerald. :)

It is, I did the same size comparison as noted above but using Emerald.

Emerald

323 total..balcony 49, net inside 274

Royal

299 total, balcony 36, net inside 263

It is, I did the same size comparison as noted above but using Emerald.

Emerald

323 total..balcony 49, net inside 274

Royal

299 total, balcony 36, net inside 263

I guess the 11 square feet is missing from the closet. :D

Archived