Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

And that's why you fit together like hand in glove! No other would quite do! And what works for happy pairings is what makes them unique! There can be no happy cookie-cutter couples. :)

Lovely! :)

I'm one of the lucky ones who is besotted with their partner in crime, and I guess as we've spent almost all day every day together for most of that time either starting and running our business and our wanderlust this makes us pretty soak tested. We're really different, but learned. Never ever say something you regret ... things cannot be "unsaid"!:D

No one should really make an adverse comment on a forum about someone elses marriage should they.:rolleyes: :D

Anyway!

If we were making a first trip to Canada to one of BAs hubs, ie Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal, or Toronto ..... which would you choose and why? I guess you know enough about us to give some initial pointers.

Tempted by a winter trip.

Jeff

Lovely! :)

I'm one of the lucky ones who is besotted with their partner in crime, and I guess as we've spent almost all day every day together for most of that time either starting and running our business and our wanderlust this makes us pretty soak tested. We're really different, but learned. Never ever say something you regret ... things cannot be "unsaid"!:D

No one should really make an adverse comment on a forum about someone elses marriage should they.:rolleyes: :D

Anyway!

If we were making a first trip to Canada to one of BAs hubs, ie Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal, or Toronto ..... which would you choose and why? I guess you know enough about us to give some initial pointers.

Tempted by a winter trip.

Jeff

A winter trip to Canada will mean cold weather. As long as you are prepared please come! Torono is a big city with not really very much going for it in my opinion. It could be a big city just about anywhere. Vancouver is a very multicultural city. It's on the ocean with beautiful parks, a vibrant China Town, great restaurants and lots of rain. Vancouver does not get as cold as the rest of Canada so if you're looking for more comfortable temps this is the place. Montreal is a beautiful city with many older, beautiful buildings. It is on the St. Laurence River and has lovely places to walk. Unfortunately it gets a lot of snow. Has great restaurants and most of the service industry can speak English. French is the official language of the province of Quebec. Calgary is a beautiful newish city. Our son and his wife live there. You can see the Rocky Mountains from there. You can also drive about 3 hours and get to Lake Louise where one of my posted pictures was taken. They also have great restaurants. Calgary is an oil town and boasts some very wealthy people so they have upscale shops you won't find in the rest of Canada. If you want historic places choose Montreal, ocean view chose Vancouver but my suggestion is Calgary! Myster says if you head into the Rockies from Calgary, you will be blown away! However my daughter is saying, go Vancouver. You could take the ferry to Vancouver Island which is beautiful too - see first pic I posted from Tofino. Not much help I guess Jeff! If you have some specific interest let me know and we can narrow the field. :)

Thanks M,

We don't mind the cold at all and would want to see snow and prefarqbly mountains. We use to experience up to -17 in cold Vienna's and quite enjoy it. Don't like the sound of sprawling cities and like old quarters. Calgary from what you have said might be a good pointer. Is Calgary a place to base in or would e need to travel from there?

Tonight was a bacon, mushroom omelette, with a Spanish omelette for company. And a better picture from last nights beachcam of the moon!

FE5B190F-AB4F-48DA-B56A-F4D4547C53A9_1.jpg

B6CD61A4-6166-4369-9E5C-EB806AA805A2.jpg

And my personal preference would be to go to Quebec City and/or Montreal! Though I am biased; coming from America, I want to see something that reminds me of Europe... We love having Montreal only 3.5h away by car.

We have visited Toronto once 20 years ago. It reminded us of a dirtier, smaller, version of Manhattan. Though I will admit the underground is very neat. We have friends who live near there now, and I'm sure we'll have fun the next time we visit.

Calgary sounds neat, and we have always wanted to see Lake Louise. The Rocky Mountains are truly spectacular. We spent a very fun week out in Wyoming and Montana, visiting Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. We also spent a long weekend in Glacier National Park 2 years ago. For the Glacier trip, we were seriously considering Calgary / Banff / Lake Louise, but the flights to Montana were better.

Have only been to Vancouver to embark/disembark for Alaska cruises. One time we did a bus tour on our way to the airport. Can't say much based on that, but the other parts of the Pacific Northwest that we've visited are beautiful too.

So Jeff - if you want something different from what's home, Calgary is very different, as would be Vancouver. Montreal and QC are very French, so you could get that with a 2h train ride through the Chunnel. Plus the Québécois have never forgiven you Anglais-types for sacking the fort back in the 1700s... :rolleyes:

Nice dinner, Jeff. What beverage did you have with it? Last time I made a Spanish tortilla, we had it with some Sherry that we brought back from Jerez. Chose the food and wine pairing based on geography!

Tonight, we had some baby back ribs on the grill. They are an all-day affair; we bought a rack at the market this morning, brought them home, and soaked them in a salt and sugar brine for a few hours. Then they got a dry spice rub. After they sat for a bit, absorbing the spice, they cooked on the grill over indirect medium heat for 2 hours. It was really difficult, smelling them cook the whole time; it made me so hungry! But they were worth the wait. Sides were corn on the cob (grilled too), and tomato salad with arugula. Of course, a nice rosé accompanied dinner. Finishing the last few sips now.

I've found all of the locations of all the attractions that we plan to visit on our Germany trip, and marked them on Google Maps. Now, I have to put the GPS coordinates into a spreadsheet, so I can upload that to my Garmin. 5 weeks from tomorrow, we'll be at the factory in Ingolstadt, saying hello to my new S6! It should be completely built by now... If you've never taken advantage of the European delivery program, I can't say enough good things about it!

Less than 100 posts to go until Terry gets to make #5000!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a luggage delivery service between the US and Europe? We will be on several small planes, and I would love to avoid dealing with checking several pieces of luggage!

Edited by brumagin1

Thanks M,

We don't mind the cold at all and would want to see snow and prefarqbly mountains. We use to experience up to -17 in cold Vienna's and quite enjoy it. Don't like the sound of sprawling cities and like old quarters. Calgary from what you have said might be a good pointer. Is Calgary a place to base in or would e need to travel from there?

Tonight was a bacon, mushroom omelette, with a Spanish omelette for company. And a better picture from last nights beachcam of the moon!

FE5B190F-AB4F-48DA-B56A-F4D4547C53A9_1.jpg

B6CD61A4-6166-4369-9E5C-EB806AA805A2.jpg

I agree with JP about Toronto. Calgary is in the province of Alberta on the west side of Canada. You would need to travel from there to see something different. Flights to Vancouver take about 90 minutes or so from Calgary. Flights to Quebec City would take 4 1/2 hours from Calgary. A caution is required since flying in Canada in the winter can be rife with weather issues. If you go to Calgary there is also train service to Vancouver that goes through the Rockies. That could be fun!

Thanks for all the ideas re a possible trip to Canada. It's been useful. I think the one that seems to be ahead and worthy of more research is Calgary. We like to arrive and not travel "on" if we can. We don't want to be in a typical big city or be reminded or Europe. Wifey still has doubts but we#re talking about it!:)

JP, it was plain water with supper I'm afraid.:( How does your cdar thing work? You have a trip over, take a tour and then put the car in a container for the trip home? I can see how it works in Europe. You pick it up and drive it home.

On the topic of piccies. One of my favourite SS piccies is of wifey at the back.

Jeff

P1030095_zpsdb3ea26a.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Brumagin1. First Luggage,Very efficient reasonable cost and not failed us yet.Will deliver direct to/from ship or pre/post cruise hotel,the latter is less cost because of port charges added direct to ship.You can tailor to suit your requirements.They do not deal with Rio airport either in or out.(crime problems). Check out their website for details.

JP, it was plain water with supper I'm afraid.:( How does your car thing work? You have a trip over, take a tour and then put the car in a container for the trip home? I can see how it works in Europe. You pick it up and drive it home.

Sorry to hear about the water.

The European delivery program is offered by the big 4 German auto makers (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche). I don't known the details for those other than Audi, but their program is really fun. We did this last year with Chris' car and now it's my turn!

If you think about it, the same events take place whether you take delivery at home (in the US), or in Germany. The sequence just gets shaken up a bit. If you order an Audi from your local dealer in the US, they still build the car for you at their factory in Germany, take it to a port, ship it to the US, pay import tax to US Customs, ship it to your dealer, and then you go there, pay for the car, and drive it home.

If you do European delivery, you go to your local Audi dealer and order the car just the same. Once it's built, you pay your local dealer for it, then you fly to Germany and pick it up at the factory (Audi USA gives you an authorization once you pay). You drive around for a week (or a few weeks), then drop it off at one of their drop-off centers and fly home to wait. Audi ships the car to the US, pays import tax, and delivers it to your dealer where they deliver it to you.

The differences are (1) you pay for the car a little earlier, and (2) when Audi imports the Euro delivery car, it's a used car not a new one, so they pay less US import tax. Audi actually gives you a price reduction because of this, so that saves a few dollars. They also pay for temporary insurance and registration within Europe (up to 15 days; you can buy more if you want), and they provide a hotel room for one night as well as transportation to/from the factory. In fact, they sent a beautiful A8 all the way down to Munich to pick us up last time!

Plus, of course, you get to drive the Audi on some of the no-limit sections of the Autobahn which is a great place to see what it can do. :) So it's a great program and a really fun way to pick up your car. You even get to keep your Euro plates as souvenirs - when the car comes to the US, they are still attached.

Great cruise shot! Where was it taken?

Edited by jpalbny

JP,

Thanks for explaining that, it sounds like a really great scheme. I hadn't realised it is so attractive. Good luck with the new car! Merc have a similar scheme but I'm too lazy.

I may have this wrong, but I seem to recall that on one of your trips you visited Hohenschwangau, but I don't recall you mentioning neuschwanstein. Have you seen it? If you can go it's really worthwhile and if you can contrive to spend some time in the concert room at the top. You can't wander around without a tour any more, but let every one leave and have a few moments buy yourself if you can. It is a few moments I'll always remember.

If you look in the distance of the picture you will see Oia on Santorini. We'd been often so enjoyed the ship whilst everyone else got off snd struggled with the donkeys, or walk, of cable car. We had the ship to ourselves.

Jeff

I'm pasting an urgent email from Clive Stafford Smith with respect to the continuing problem of Shaquat Hussain. He is about to be executed and we hope that 7000+ emails/letters to the President of Pakistan may make him realise the world is watching and objects. There are links below which can generate an automated plea. If we fail Shafquat will die in just a few hours - due to time differences - hence the urgency. At the time of posting I beleive it is just six hours hence.

Thanks.

Jeff

=============================

Dear Jeff,

I am writing to you with an urgent request. We have only twelve hours to save Shafqat Hussain's life. He was a child when he was sentenced to death – he had confessed after enduring 9 days of torture at the hands of police.

Under International and Pakistani law, it is illegal to sentence a minor to death. Despite this, the Pakistani government has refused to support a judicial inquiry into Shafqat’s age, and has withheld documents which could prove that he was a child at the time of the crime.

Not only that, but Shafqat’s conviction is based on evidence obtained after police brutally tortured him. He was blindfolded, kept in solitary confinement, beaten, electrocuted, and burned with cigarettes. After 9 days of abuse, Shafqat – a child – could take no more. He eventually signed a false confession to make his abusers stop.

Last week Shafqat was issued with his seventh execution warrant, and his hanging is now scheduled for midnight tonight.

Click here to email President Mamnoon Hussain

Shafqat has spent more than a decade on death row. During this time, the Pakistani authorities have repeatedly tried to execute him. But Reprieve and our supporters all over the world have joined together in protest, and managed to stop them.

You can take action to save Shafqat’s life. Please email President Mamnoon, and ask him to grant Shafqat another stay of execution.

Several human rights bodies have spoken out against Shafqat’s trial and subsequent death sentence, including the UN and the Sindh Human Rights Commission. They have condemned Pakistan’s reliance on evidence extracted through torture, and have called for a full inquiry into Shafqat’s case.

Shafqat was dangerously close to execution in January, then in March, and again in June. We worked together to prevent his death, and succeeded. Please take action to save Shafqat’s life once more, and demand a full inquiry into his case.

Click here to email President Mamnoon Hussain

Thank you for all you do.

2014_02_25_INT%20Clive%20signature.jpg

Clive Stafford Smith

Founder & Director

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Beautiful picture Jeff! The interesting thing about Calgary is that it is a "western" city. Cowboy hats and boots appear everywhere. It is the home of The Stampede for a reason! :). It has a lot of parks and sculptures in public areas. The city center is laid out in a grid pattern so it is relatively easy to navigate. Last winter it was quite mild there compared to the rest of the country. If the Bow River is frozen, people skate there.

JP,

Thanks for explaining that, it sounds like a really great scheme. I hadn't realised it is so attractive. Good luck with the new car! Merc have a similar scheme but I'm too lazy.

I may have this wrong, but I seem to recall that on one of your trips you visited Hohenschwangau, but I don't recall you mentioning neuschwanstein. Have you seen it? If you can go it's really worthwhile and if you can contrive to spend some time in the concert room at the top. You can't wander around without a tour any more, but let every one leave and have a few moments buy yourself if you can. It is a few moments I'll always remember.

If you look in the distance of the picture you will see Oia on Santorini. We'd been often so enjoyed the ship whilst everyone else got off snd struggled with the donkeys, or walk, of cable car. We had the ship to ourselves.

Jeff

Santorini! Lovely. We walked up the donkey path when we visited; didn't find it too difficult. It still didn't keep us from gaining weight from all of the nice cruise food... :rolleyes:

We have visited Neuschwanstein. What a place! It was part of one busy day around that whole area. Did both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein in the morning, then Zugspeitze and Linderhof in the afternoon / evening. Didn't get time alone anywhere in Neuschwanstein; it's pretty crowded...

With great sadness, I am sorry to say that despite all we did, including sending over 36,000 email "letters" to Mamnoon Hussain last night, the President of Pakistan, Shafquat Hussain who was an innocent child when police tortured a confession out of him, was executed a few hours ago.

Even though his outlook appeared bleak last night the effort nevertheless was worthwhile, and I wanted to thank those that took the trouble to give their support.

Thanks.

Jeff

RIP Shafqat, I am so sorry we couldn't save you.

Shafqat1-616x491.jpg

7b9dd851-368e-4042-bdda-68800e701ae8-1020x612.jpeg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&7b9dd851-368e-4042-bdda-68800e701ae8-1020x612.jpeg?w=1920&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&

7b9dd851-368e-4042-bdda-68800e701ae8-1020x612.jpeg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Here are some pictures taken on our South America Cruise in 2011. The first is a sunrise in the port of Ushuaia.

_W5qTMWoN3-WadFpmyJbfPfyVA-Hhxlt1sJyQEF6xX8=w900-h675-no

The next is Bird Island - a Cormorant colony off the coast of Ushuaia.

JerMpFquU51CJ9X7w4UWForh8oF1sktTOrwCv69h2es=w900-h675-no

The last is a picture from the Strait of Magellan. The Strait of Magellan is a navigable sea route separating mainland South America to the north and Tierra del Fuego to the south.

k39VtQFzoVKQCOnq445JSy0as-jgH38nIaJML003BrM=w900-h675-no

Mysty and Joc and anyone else posting or lurking, and supprted and just to close this off ... a note of thanks from Clive to anyone who was able to help.

Jeff

================

Dear Jeff,

In the early hours of this morning, Pakistan executed Shafqat Hussain. I am writing to thank you for everything you did to try to save his life.

I can’t say that this is anything other than devastating news. We had hoped that President Mamnoon Hussain might intervene at the last moment and grant another stay, but he did not.

Reprieve’s supporters sent more than 36,000 letters to the Pakistani government – a phenomenal show of support and solidarity. Shafqat did not die alone. We were all with him.

If anything good is to come of this, it’s that Pakistan knows that the world does not support its barbaric determination to continue killing people – particularly those who were tortured into confessing, or were sentenced to death when they were children. And Shafqat’s death shows that we must continue to stand up for victims of state violence.

Your support meant a great deal to Shafqat and his family. Thank you.

2014_02_25_INT%20Clive%20signature.jpg

Clive Stafford Smith

Founder & Director

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Santorini! Lovely. We walked up the donkey path when we visited; didn't find it too difficult. It still didn't keep us from gaining weight from all of the nice cruise food... :rolleyes:

We have visited Neuschwanstein. What a place! It was part of one busy day around that whole area. Did both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein in the morning, then Zugspeitze and Linderhof in the afternoon / evening. Didn't get time alone anywhere in Neuschwanstein; it's pretty crowded...

Hi JP,

When I took my kids to the castles for the first time, we took the horse cart up rather than walk. And for some reason I was sitting right behind the horses ar$e. Sadly every single step he far(ed and I got a full noseful. The kids and wifey of course thought this hugely funny.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Mysty .... more great pictures ..... thanks!

JP and M on the topic of Santorini and pictures.... sometimes you take a picture that gives you immense pleasure. This one was mine! :)

Very early morning in Oia before anyone elkse was up ... and this chap came ot of his house and climbed onto his chimney and ate his breakfast looking so peaceful. I knew it was a picture of a lifetime ... and it continues to cheer wifey and I up.

Hope you like it.

Jeff

P1030077_zps5d60f681.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff, I know what you mean about special photos. This one was taken in 2007 on our aft balcony in the port of Tallinn, Estonia. The table was set for our breakfast. Everytime I see this picture I am immediately right back on that balcony and the world is wonderful again. :)

DMeE_NxYK3_3V3A2GsbDB8TKzUWO8gVmsNh3Luo-Ai0=w800-h600-no