Australians being taken advantage of by Princess

GHDPeter

I've managed to compare a Diamond Princess cruise on Dec 11 2013 out of Sydney and even when you take into account exchange rates, Princess Cruises are ripping off Australians by almost $1000 for the same cabin on the same cruise.

Is this fair or ethical? Would Americans accept this if the tables were reversed?

What are your thoughts and comments?

See attached image for cruise pricings.

379912637_ScreenShot2013-08-16at12_26_26AM.jpg.a30885de9b7c21f7fbcf67dedbce6491.jpg

Just some random thoughts, no real solution. Have heard this before from both Australians and British. Try a British TA. Maybe they have better pricing they can sell. But, many British pricing offers include the air as a package.

Unfortunately the only way to fightback is not book and have the ships sail with vacant cabins. In this internet world there is no hiding travel/vacation pricing. On the Dec 12 day voyage in your thumbnail, remember that air fare from the US to Sydney is between US$1500 and US$2000. Maybe the thinking is if we want to sell this cruise to the North America market we have to offer a very low fare to somewhat compensate for the high airfare.

In the reverse have seen U.S. based cruises higher priced for Australians, than Americans. So the air fare thinking I guess doesn't get applied in the reverse.

There are no U.S. laws that I am aware of that can prevent you from booking in the U.S. with a U.S. TA. Princess could be in violation of U.S. National or maybe State laws by not allowing those from Australia to purchase a vacation from a U.S. based travel agent. Maybe a lawyer can comment on this.

Hi there

Yes the same thing goes on over here in Europe (ie) all RCI UK or Ireland based agents or RCi Direct DO NOT HAVE COMPETITIVE pricing and NO Extras

Like OBC or Spec Dinning Or Spa Vouchers

And we always pay Top DOLLAR for Same Category as opposed to our US Cruisers. AND

Only UNTILL Recently Did USA travel Agents Deal with Over seas Clients

Just some random thoughts, no real solution. Have heard this before from both Australians and British. Try a British TA. Maybe they have better pricing they can sell. But, many British pricing offers include the air as a package.

Unfortunately the only way to fightback is not book and have the ships sail with vacant cabins. In this internet world there is no hiding travel/vacation pricing. On the Dec 12 day voyage in your thumbnail, remember that air fare from the US to Sydney is between US$1500 and US$2000. Maybe the thinking is if we want to sell this cruise to the North America market we have to offer a very low fare to somewhat compensate for the high airfare.

In the reverse have seen U.S. based cruises higher priced for Australians, than Americans. So the air fare thinking I guess doesn't get applied in the reverse.

There are no U.S. laws that I am aware of that can prevent you from booking in the U.S. with a U.S. TA. Princess could be in violation of U.S. National or maybe State laws by not allowing those from Australia to purchase a vacation from a U.S. based travel agent. Maybe a lawyer can comment on this.

I queried exactly this with both Princess UK and USA about

2 Years ago. I still have the written reply which stated that the British and Australian market only amounted to 10% of the US ma.rket therefore they did not feel beholden to pass on the same price incentives and offers to us. I was so insensed I eventually got hold of the customer relations manager who wrote it. I told her about the world wide web ( politely for me) It did not get me anywhere though.

I guess if Princess is going to entice the largest cruise population to go to Australia to cruise then they need to give them a big inducement to counter the airfare penalty. The Australian cruise populace is already somewhat "local" and don't have the large airfare problem. Is it fair? I don't know. Does it fill the ship? It must, otherwise I doubt that they would price it that way.:confused:

There are other factors as well. On the aus based cruises, I think the tips are included for AUS passengers. Not sure if they are included in the US rate or not. I believe you also have to deal with a VAT that US Cruisers do not (and if you do, booking in the US to avoid them would be illegal)

In the UK, you have the additional costs of ABTA(?) that cover line failures, etc, plus their taxation rules are different as well.

So its not just a matter of exchange rate.

That said, it is correct that those markets, due to size, do not see the same promotional opportunities that the US does, but that can even be said for certain areas of the US as well

The original listed prices are comparable.

When I view the cruise (USA), it is clearly marked as part of the Fall Savings Spectacular (non-refundable and non-transferable).

Even in the USA we see sales that are only available in particular areas of the country or to people receiving a specific email or snail mail notice. That even happens here without it being shown as a sale.

I concede that may not always be the case between USA and Australian prices; however, it happens here, too.

All companies will charge what they think they can get away with in any country. There are also many factors that come into play, such as in the UK where there is a lot of protection built in incase of flight cancellations, travel operators going bust etc.

It is not easy to easily compare.

I do wonder if all the people on here who complain about a country getting a lower price than another also take up their beef with other companies such as Coca cola or pepsi who also charge different prices in different countries.

Take your money to a cruiseline that you think treats you fairly.

If people keep paying princess' prices, princess will keep charging them.

If you were running the business, wouldn't you do the same?

Fairness has nothing to do with Princess' business decisions. If the market can bear the increased fare, then the company will charge it. If not, the company will reduce the price. Supply and demand have nothing (and should have nothing) to do with fairness. Other posters also enumerated other potential reasons for the higher fares. Is it fair that a Honda Civic costs 2 1/2 to 3 times as much in Denmark as in the U.S.? Different governments, different laws, different taxes, different supply, different transportation costs, etc. Is it fair that Americans don't receive the same consumer protections as our European brethren? Fairness has nothing to do with it.

I've managed to compare a Diamond Princess cruise on Dec 11 2013 out of Sydney and even when you take into account exchange rates, Princess Cruises are ripping off Australians by almost $1000 for the same cabin on the same cruise.

Is this fair or ethical? Would Americans accept this if the tables were reversed?

See attached image for cruise pricings.

This subject has been discussed many times on this board. Also Cruisecritic wrote a fairly in-depth article about this very subject. I shall post the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1119

It is not just the difference in fares which is unfair. The conditions of booking for USA and Canada are also more beneficial than those for NZ UK and Australia

We HAVE to commence our insurance immediately on booking as we cannot have our deposit returned unless we can prove illness death etc. and then it goes through the insurance company The deposits are non refundable so unlike our North American friends we cannot book 6 cruises and cancel 3 of them when we decide which we would really like to take.

We also cannot automatically get any reduction in price credited to us unless you have a very good and helpful as well as unusual travel agent. It is not the norm.

It is VERY difficult to book a cruise from outside our own country. Princess for instance will not allow us to purchase FCC letters in any currency than our own so cannot be used for an overseas booking if we managed to bet one.

We have also a USA address for the family home but I still could not purchase the FCC letters on our last cruise except in AUD

I do not know if it is the same in AUS but the restrictions on refunds/cancellations in the UK are a reflection of their laws and tax policies. Someone explained to me in great detail that I do not recall specifically why it was done that way and would continue unless the law is changed.

There are also some restrictions based on how Princess is organized with a separate sub corp in UK and AUS as opposed to an operating subsidiary of a US corp.

It is not just the difference in fares which is unfair. The conditions of booking for USA and Canada are also more beneficial than those for NZ UK and Australia

We HAVE to commence our insurance immediately on booking as we cannot have our deposit returned unless we can prove illness death etc. and then it goes through the insurance company The deposits are non refundable so unlike our North American friends we cannot book 6 cruises and cancel 3 of them when we decide which we would really like to take.

We also cannot automatically get any reduction in price credited to us unless you have a very good and helpful as well as unusual travel agent. It is not the norm.

It is VERY difficult to book a cruise from outside our own country. Princess for instance will not allow us to purchase FCC letters in any currency than our own so cannot be used for an overseas booking if we managed to bet one.

We have also a USA address for the family home but I still could not purchase the FCC letters on our last cruise except in AUD

To those who don't like the pricing, until there is a world wide law that pricing for a cruise has to be exactly the same, for everybody, every place in the world, perhaps the best advice is simply take your custom elsewhere.

Nothing will make the cruise lines change their policy faster than having empty staterooms.

Of course, they too have the right and ability to move their ships to whichever market they like as the goal for them is to make as much money as possible. If they can't make it in your market, they'll find another.

So, pay the price, feel taken advantage of.

Don't use the product, and you'll lose access to it.

Isn't it grand we have choices?

To those who don't like the pricing, until there is a world wide law that pricing for a cruise has to be exactly the same, for everybody, every place in the world, perhaps the best advice is simply take your custom elsewhere.

Nothing will make the cruise lines change their policy faster than having empty staterooms.

Of course, they too have the right and ability to move their ships to whichever market they like as the goal for them is to make as much money as possible. If they can't make it in your market, they'll find another.

So, pay the price, feel taken advantage of.

Don't use the product, and you'll lose access to it.

Isn't it grand we have choices?

I agree completely!;)

Much like each passenger on a row of airline seats pays a different fare, it's best not to ask sometimes.:rolleyes:

Mike:)

in AUS if you book your cruise using an FCC you dont have to take out insurance until you pay your final payment because if you wish to cancel out for any reason you get your FCC back to use on another cruise

I queried exactly this with both Princess UK and USA about

2 Years ago. I still have the written reply which stated that the British and Australian market only amounted to 10% of the US ma.rket therefore they did not feel beholden to pass on the same price incentives and offers to us. I was so insensed I eventually got hold of the customer relations manager who wrote it. I told her about the world wide web ( politely for me) It did not get me anywhere though.

I got a similar reply from Princess head office in California, when I queried why we Aussies were paying much more than the Americans for a Princess cruise, 'Princess mass market is the North American one and that is where and to whom we address the lowest prices.'

Not fair dinkum. Dare I say it? Perhaps Princess could wipe out the required auto tips for Australian and British cruisers, bearing in mind we paid many more $ or £ to get on board. Let Princess pay the crew's auto tips out of company profits made from us.

Stand by for incoming, steel helmet and flak jacket on. (Again !)

No wonder Princess is moving all it's better ships over there. If they charge a higher per diem and you pay it, they are realizing a better profit. Please stop buying the cruises so Princess will bring the ships back to North America.

No wonder Princess is moving all it's better ships over there. If they charge a higher per diem and you pay it, they are realizing a better profit. Please stop buying the cruises so Princess will bring the ships back to North America.

whats this about the aussies getting the better ships, we get the hand me down ones....we have 3 and they between 15 and 19 years old

whats this about the aussies getting the better ships, we get the hand me down ones....we have 3 and they between 15 and 19 years old

I will gladly trade you two of the new behemoth monsters for each of the ones you have.:D

I will gladly trade you two of the new behemoth monsters for each of the ones you have.:D

So we give back, Sea, Dawn and Sun and get Royal and Regal. Send 'em over.

But with the ships we want $100 per day balcony cruising, not the $300 per day for an inside cabin, being charged currently for world cruises on the Aussie Princess tubs. LOL.

Oh, we want the Elite Platinum Lounges too, the Sun,Dawn and Sea have scammed us Elites there as well.

Princess geo block their websites so that you only see the pages that they want you to see.

This was mentioned in the recent Australian report on software prices with one of the recommendations being that the Australian Government take action to ban the practice of geoblocking or educate the public in ways to get around it.

I use a VPN to access websites outside Australia and this gives me a "local" ip address.

Princess also does not allow non US citizens to book through US travel agents.

But I have been told by Princess that if I am traveling with a US resident or citizen then we can book through either country's site or Travel Agent.

Hopefully one day we will have a truly Global Economy and Businesses that match our expectations.

I think grand princess might be just about old enough...

See what happens when Regal joins the fleet.

So we give back, Sea, Dawn and Sun and get Royal and Regal. Send 'em over.

But with the ships we want $100 per day balcony cruising, not the $300 per day for an inside cabin, being charged currently for world cruises on the Aussie Princess tubs. LOL.

Oh, we want the Elite Platinum Lounges too, the Sun,Dawn and Sea have scammed us Elites there as well.

I agree Les.....I like your thinking.

Archived