Binoculars Recommendation

bala1130

What recommendation do you have for purchasing some binoculars for an Oceanview Balcony cruise? What brands? How much do you need to spend? What magnification?

Its really a matter of how much you are looking to and WANTING to spend :) I can recommend some good binocs but need to know your price range.

Not so much a recommendation as that is a matter of your preference and budget. But I have a Nikon Medallion 10 x 21.5 that is compact and with a belt attached carry case. I use them for sporting events as well as on cruises. Very small, lightweight, easy to pack and carry, and do a good enough job for what I use them for. Cost was about $75 as I recall when I bought them several years ago.

I would have had recommendations, but the Nikon's should be good. Enjoy!:) FYI, 10X can be a little hard for some people to hold steady without shaking in the field of view - practice before you leave.

I ALWAYS take binoc's on our cruises.

If you are using them during the day try something like a 8 x 25mm which are light and easier to hold steady if you have older arms ;)

Older peoples eyes will not benefit from larger binocular either as their eye pupils will not dilate as much in low light. for example a 10 x 50 will give a 5mm diameter light cone entering your eye. Not much use if your old eyes pupils will be no bigger than 3mm!. With old eyes a 8 x 25 will have a 3mm exit pupil, much better, and lighter weight.

What recommendation do you have for purchasing some binoculars for an Oceanview Balcony cruise? What brands? How much do you need to spend? What magnification?

What do you think you will see that you need binoculars? Been on 20 plus ocean cruises and four river cruises and never needed or had binoculars.

What do you think you will see that you need binoculars? Been on 20 plus ocean cruises and four river cruises and never needed or had binoculars.

I usually have binoculars with me when onboard or ashore & use them a lot. I've got a small pair (8x20) strapped to my belt when I'm ashore, and large (& alas, heavy...) 18x50 IS binoculars for when I'm onboard.

It's interesting to observe other ships (many and varied), wildlife (whales, dolphins, birds, polar bears, ...), scenery (waterfalls, forests, lighthouses, ...), and so on.....

As my wife likes to point out, when I'm walking the deck or sitting on a balcony, my eyes are "outside the ship" :cool:

I wouldn't board a ship without my binoculars.

VP

We have a small pair of Bushnells, that we've had for at least 20 years. For me, the larger binocs might be better quality, but they would just sit unused in my closet. Hard for me to justify the extra space and weight -- especially when I'm flying, and have to make room in my carry-on. :cool:

Then you have no idea what you have missed.:rolleyes:

Lots of stuff to see, and binocs are absolutely a must.

Would not consider going without them.

I would never cruise without binoculars! There is so much to see, from whales in Alaska to porpoises in the Carribean. Then, well, the ports coming and going....and the other ships... And, the people...on and on. If I forgot to pack them, it would be my first purchase.

On my ships

one pair of binocs for a bridge watchstander cost about $500

others are toys

Sometimes the standing instructions for a bridge watchstander include "never touch the Captains personal binoculars". The Captain's binoculars can be easily identified as they are not company-issued, instead they are something like Canon IS18x30 / Swarovski EL 10x50 / Zeiss Victory HT.... and all cost over $1000.

Good binoculars are expensive but once you've looked through some really good binoculars then you'll realize why they cost so much. And if treated well, they will last a lifetime... my little Zeiss Victory 8x20T* binoculars are a constant companion, they get a lot of use, I've had them for 8 years and they still function perfectly and are in "as new" condition....

VP

Archived