New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

This has been a bad year for cruiselines. I didn't even notice the Princess cancellation until I saw it in this thread.

I can't believe that the lines are not reimbursing nonrefundable expenses to get to the ship. I'm not talking about purchases like clothing etc, but hotel reservations and flights for a cruise that isn't going to happen should absolutely be covered. This isn't an act of God, this is clearly a problem with Celebrity's product so they should be responsible for all expenses resulting from it.

I don't really think the amount of the FCC is as important, since it should just be a sweetener to apologize for messing up your vacation, but they should absolutely be making everyone whole.

And to the poster who had to tell her small children about the cancellation, my heart goes out to you. I hope you were able to make alternate arrangements.

First let me say I hope everybody eventually gets home safe and sound.

I am scheduled to cruise on the Millennium on 9/22 out of San Diego through the Panama Canal (those that don't have a calendar that's 3 weeks away). Therefore your statement of the ship being off for 5 weeks after the repairs are done is dry dock is not true, and 6 hours is going to upset their schedule once again. It does matter to the next 2,000+ passengers who are watching this very closely.

Umm...on my calendar the 22nd is 4 & 1/2 weeks from today.

Check your calendar again. That's 31 days (4.4 weeks away). However, if I were you, I would be worried.

OOPS - sorry you are so right!! Guess I lost a week when I was counting. Anyway, nope not going to worry....whatever happens, happens!! One good thing (if you want to call it good) it won't come out of the "clear blue sky" like so many people had happen. If it happens most of us are watching very closely and know what we will be doing/not doing and who we have to contact to cancel.

After being on the Xmas/new years sailing of millenium from Hong Kong -Singapore we were shocked to see that the supposed makeover was seriously lacking. The engines aren't the only tired worn parts. The carpets, bathrooms- public and in the cabins ,elevator buttons, pool furniture, the stained sheets and bedding in cabins, dishes and silverware just to name a few things.

So many had noro virus. Hoping celebrity either retires & replaces millenium or brings it up to the standards that the guests deserve and expect! Being the ship will be drydocked for a month there is no excuse!

You're right/.....except the drydock duration : it's 5 days ....(per the official Celebrity's announcement).; clearly not enough to carry out the upgrades/maintenance you are describing....one can presume the line ha no plans to do that either.

The ''out of service'' period will be largely consumed by the dead head move to Freeport....and from there to SanDiego.

Your posts ave been great. But, if the Cruise Critic News board is accurate, =X= does take care of the crew.

"Much of the crew will stay onboard the ship during the duration of the transit and dry dock, but others will depart in Ketchikan. For those staying, the line's dry dock policy protects tips for crew members who earn tips. "

Over the years we have run into many staff and crew that made the Infinity's trip from Acapulco to the East Coast under the exact same circumstances.

They all remember the "Staff cruise" quite well and advised that they were "Looked" after. Extremely well.

Sorry Ghstudio, I'm not buying that at all. He's the President & CEO of the Cruise line for heavens sake. I cant accept any possibility of him being *told* not to talk.

Whatever their current gameplan is, it's not making them look good at all. Let's hope it's temporary.

Indeed, as I said on another post, we have a CEO MIA and I don't refer to the Miami airport code, this guy seems to be missing in (in)action. So if the CEO of Azamara can travel half way round the world to provide visible support to disappointed guests, why is this guy so quiet?

Check your calendar again. That's 31 days (4.4 weeks away). However, if I were you, I would be worried.

New math? :D

As a publicly owned corporation, aren't they legally required to do so?

They have a responsibility to shareholders, but they have much latitude. Not "legally required" in any case.

Indeed, as I said on another post, we have a CEO MIA and I don't refer to the Miami airport code, this guy seems to be missing in (in)action. So if the CEO of Azamara can travel half way round the world to provide visible support to disappointed guests, why is this guy so quiet?

Playing baseball in Boston apparently..

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sorry Ghstudio, I'm not buying that at all. He's the President & CEO of the Cruise line for heavens sake. I cant accept any possibility of him being *told* not to talk.

Whatever their current gameplan is, it's not making them look good at all. Let's hope it's temporary.

Once a situation like this occurs, the "on retainer" public relations company comes in and "advises" the company on what to do and how to handle the situation. Their advice would be for Bayley to stay "above" the problem. Now some CEO's will follow that advice....others are more hands on and decide that they want to publicly be the leader. In celebrity's case, there is some lady who is putting out press releases, but no one in hq (or from reports even on the ship) is taking the "I'm in charge" position.....in fact, from reports, the officers on the ship were not to be seen and the captain was not heard from.

I have never met Michael Bayley...no idea if he is a people person or a manager who likes to work behind the scene. From this, my guess is that he's more the traditional executive who lets his executives run the day to day business. Remember the BP spill....and the CEO who was fired after all his flubs. I'm sure Michael and his PR agency remember.....

Once a situation like this occurs, the "on retainer" public relations company comes in and "advises" the company on what to do and how to handle the situation. Their advice would be for Bayley to stay "above" the problem. Now some CEO's will follow that advice....others are more hands on and decide that they want to publicly be the leader. In celebrity's case, there is some lady who is putting out press releases, but no one in hq (or from reports even on the ship) is taking the "I'm in charge" position.....in fact, from reports, the officers on the ship were not to be seen and the captain was not heard from.

I have never met Michael Bayley...no idea if he is a people person or a manager who likes to work behind the scene. From this, my guess is that he's more the traditional executive who lets his executives run the day to day business. Remember the BP spill....and the CEO who was fired after all his flubs. I'm sure Michael and his PR agency remember.....

Thanks for the insight. Your explanation makes sense to me.

Still think the strategy is a big mistake.

Jane

Wow so our group just got checked in the theater. We got handed a form that says the ship has to leave at 2 and everyone had to be off at 12:30 (obviously they're running late) so for anyone on the 6:40 flight we are being put on a bus to go to saxman for 30 minutes and then potlatch for an hour and then to the ferry to the airport.... Both nice places to visit but I just paid money to do that tour yesterday........ Interesting how the ship is going and crew are getting off before all pax are situated. Just a very odd feeling in how this is being handled. Several people on the theater were trying to ask questions of someone handing out forms and the response was "I don't know I'm in excusions" I think the response should have been "I don't know but let me ask someone or find someone to help you"

Remember the BP spill....and the CEO who was fired after all his flubs. I'm sure Michael and his PR agency remember.....

You can't honestly be comparing the BP spill to this? No one has lost their life or livelihood, nor has there been horrific damage to wildlife and the environment.

I feel extremely sorry for anyone whose vacation has been canceled and hope in the end they are compensated for their disappointment. It is however, not life changing as the BP oil spill was to many.

Wow so our group just got checked in the theater. We got handed a form that says the ship has to leave at 2 and everyone had to be off at 12:30 (obviously they're running late) so for anyone on the 6:40 flight we are being put on a bus to go to saxman for 30 minutes and then potlatch for an hour and then to the ferry to the airport.... Both nice places to visit but I just paid money to do that tour yesterday........ Interesting how the ship is going and crew are getting off before all pax are situated. Just a very odd feeling in how this is being handled. Several people on the theater were trying to ask questions of someone handing out forms and the response was "I don't know I'm in excusions" I think the response should have been "I don't know but let me ask someone or find someone to help you"

Interesting that they were still selling the excursions to the pax onboard. Seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, communication breakdowns continue.:(

I just remember we all sat around mocking Carnival a few months ago and I was one of the people saying thank God I sail with Celebrity and this kind of disorganization would never happen at Celebrity....and now look at this mess.

The Carnival CEO was on the scene when Triumph limped back to port......

Its time for Michael Bayley to make some public statements.

I want to hear from the CEO!!!!!

I remember thinking, back when people were posting/bashing Carnival, that you might be next......then what. Well here you are. NO line is immune from accidents/mistakes and bashing another cruiseline serves no purpose, especially thinking you are better off than another group. JMHO

You can't honestly be comparing the BP spill to this? No one has lost their life or livelihood, nor has there been horrific damage to wildlife and the environment.

I feel extremely sorry for anyone whose vacation has been canceled and hope in the end they are compensated for their disappointment. It is however, not life changing as the BP oil spill was to many.

You're on the wrong issue. The bp guy was fired, not for the oil spill or damage to people's livelihood...he was fired for the stupid things he said. The same co uld happen to bayley if he says something dumb or something that commits celebrity to something accidentally. The legal and pr folks would much rather he say nothing.

I remember thinking, back when people were posting/bashing Carnival, that you might be next......then what. Well here you are. NO line is immune from accidents/mistakes and bashing another cruiseline serves no purpose, especially thinking you are better off than another group. JMHO

What goes around, comes around.

Bashing or bullying anyone just achieves nothing but lowering peoples opinion of yourself, so it is best to say nothing derogatory.:D

Ship has not yet departed. Still in port. I am in cattle line to get into hanger bring used to store passengers til their flight. Can see ship from airport.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Good luck with your travels, hope it works out for you.:D

Archived