4 Millie cruises now cancelled (8/23, 8/30, 9/6, 9/13)

cruisestitch

I bet if were a different line that price would be 3000.

From what I have read on here Celebrity have gone "above and beyond" what most lines would ever do!

For a while it sounded that way . . . now it seems like they are unable to keep their promises.

Since Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, I would expect that RC corporate will come up with a generous plan for passengers on the current cruise.

One of my wife's co-workers was on either the Oasis or the Allure last year, when it was late into Ft. Lauderdale trying to avoid a hurricane (I believe Issac). I believe every passenger on the cruise whose departure was delayed got several hundred dollars of OBC. If you didn't use the entire balance, the difference was credited to the charge card. Everyone also got a certificate for 25% off a future cruise.

If you were already in South Florida, RC picked up the additional nights in the hotel and gave a per diem to cover meals prior to departure. If you hadn't left for South Florida, RC paid for the costs of rebooking air transportation, including change fees.

Considering that was all due to an "Act of God", RC was very generous, in order to maintain good will and loyalty. As someone else said, it's very late in Miami. There may not be a final determination yet as to what compensation to offer passengers on the Millenuem. But, in light of RC picking up costs to change airline tickets and hotel stays in South Florida, I suspect that Celebrity will pay for costs due to changes in plane tickets to get out of Anchorage.

Good for you. Enjoy the lemonade! We felt so bad early last evening for the passengers on the next cruise when it appeared that this might be a drydock situation and folks ready to fly out the next day.

Hope you have a great vacation.

Considering that was all due to an "Act of God", RC was very generous, in order to maintain good will and loyalty. As someone else said, it's very late in Miami. There may not be a final determination yet as to what compensation to offer passengers on the Millenuem. But, in light of RC picking up costs to change airline tickets and hotel stays in South Florida, I suspect that Celebrity will pay for costs due to changes in plane tickets to get out of Anchorage.

At the very least for those passengers, it is the following crusies that really have me worried as they may have left home (non US places) to do something else like a land tour or such and had already arrived to find that the cancelled cruise is now a 7-9 day hole in their vacation.:D

At the very least for those passengers, it is the following crusies that really have me worried as they may have left home (non US places) to do something else like a land tour or such and had already arrived to find that the cancelled cruise is now a 7-9 day hole in their vacation.:D

As flights offered by Celebrity are quite often outrageously more expensive and they sometimes offer airlines I wouldn't want to use :eek: we tend to book our own flights as well. Similar to our Australian cruise friends this might be quite a lot more money than the price of the cruise itself, and no travel insurance will give a refund if there is a "gap" in your travel plans. To save money and to be able to cruise more often we also mostly book non-changeable and non-refundable flights. A travel insurance helps when you or one in your family get ill, your house burns down or is broken into etc. but it won't cover mechanical problems on a cruise ship, so we'd have to cover that loss of money ourselves, too.

Personally if we were so unlucky to have booked on "Millenium" for September ( which we had considered earlier in the year!) we'd try for a land tour of beautiful Alaska or stay in the Rockies getting out of Vancouver, but I shudder at the thought that such a thing would happen to me rounding Cape Horn or another remote place. Sitting in Ushuaia or Punta Arenas in Patagonia for a week wouldn't be my choice of trip...

Hay this is great 3hrs before flight to celebrate my wife finishing chemo and radiation for the last year I get a call that my back to back trip is canceled been on the phone for the last day canceling things taking off work and celebrity will give me a credit of 50% the first week and 25% for the second week if you think that is a good deal your nuts you should see the cost to change and make last minute plans to try to do something before she has to go back to work in three weeks will get one week on the oasis for twice as much but I should be grateful for that its just hard right now maybe Saturday I will be able to be happy about this but don't think so john

I am so with you on this~~And the fact their PR machine is stating 100% refund with future cruise certificate implies everyone is also getting 100% FCC...very slick PR they are putting out...start emailing Celebrity!

Since Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, I would expect that RC corporate will come up with a generous plan for passengers on the current cruise.

One of my wife's co-workers was on either the Oasis or the Allure last year, when it was late into Ft. Lauderdale trying to avoid a hurricane (I believe Issac). I believe every passenger on the cruise whose departure was delayed got several hundred dollars of OBC. If you didn't use the entire balance, the difference was credited to the charge card. Everyone also got a certificate for 25% off a future cruise.

If you were already in South Florida, RC picked up the additional nights in the hotel and gave a per diem to cover meals prior to departure. If you hadn't left for South Florida, RC paid for the costs of rebooking air transportation, including change fees.

When did mechanical failure become an "Act of God?"

You are one of the few wise travel insurance buyers....congratulations. A few years ago we discovered MedJet Assist and we now buy that policy on an annual basis with an AARP discount. It provides a unique advantage on medical evacuation. Everyone should read that policy...and the key difference is who has to approve transport and what the requirements are for transport to the hospital of your choice. If you are in a foreign hospital...who do you want to have to agree to transport you home or back to the hospital of your choice. With medjet assist, you request transport and the only agreement needed is that you are medically stable enough for the trip. Compare that to the policy you now have...

Note: they have started to sell an all inclusive travel insurance policy which, as hard as it is to believe, does NOT include their own travel assist. Don't buy it.

I have heard of MedJet Assist but have not looked into it yet. I don't believe we travel enough to warrant a yearly policy, but will look into it. Do you know off hand if it also covers land trips in the states?

You could be correct if it was a "cancel for any reason" cruise line policy. Those policies are written to the specifications of the cruise line, much like Sears buys their Kenmore brand from Whirlpool, Frigidaire, KitchenAid,etc, etc. manufactured to THEIR specifications.

Total trip cancellations due to mechanical breakdown, illness, etc. etc. are what you purchase insurance for. Private third party insurance rarely will exclude a mechanical breakdown other than missed ports (for which you may only be covered for non refundable excursions or other non refundable expenses).

FYI: I called TruTravel, Travelguard and CSA this morning to find out if they cover a cancelled trip due to mechanical issues. Of the three, only CSA covers. I was pretty surprised.

I have heard of MedJet Assist but have not looked into it yet. I don't believe we travel enough to warrant a yearly policy, but will look into it. Do you know off hand if it also covers land trips in the states?

MedJet Assist covers any trip if you are at least 150 miles away from home. Hope this helps.

Dave

FYI: I called TruTravel, Travelguard and CSA this morning to find out if they cover a cancelled trip due to mechanical issues. Of the three, only CSA covers. I was pretty surprised.

I believe a lot of it is how you ask the question. AND whether you try to use the trip interruption portion of your policy or the trip cancellation.

This from Travelex most basic policy (which is the only insurance I will use because it is primary coverage):

2. Common Carrier delays resulting from inclement weather, or mechanical breakdown or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation;

3. arrangements canceled by an airline, cruise line, motor coach company, or tour operator, resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation.

This wording or very similar is in the Travelguard policy as well as many others. You can read the info verbatim on the insuremytrip website. But again, how you word the question and which portion of your policy you try to claim under has a lot of bearing on compensation.

MedJet Assist covers any trip if you are at least 150 miles away from home. Hope this helps.

Dave

I have a yearly MedJet policy and have had it for quite a few years. Be aware-you WILL NOT be evacuated from a cruise ship, a jungle (I already had experience with this in Cambodia) or a safari. They WILL get you to any hospital you designate FROM a medical facility that certifies you are able to travel. So if you must be evacuated from a cruise ship, MedJet will get you home to a hospital of your choosing. BUT ONLY from the medical facility that you were evacuated to.

I believe a lot of it is how you ask the question. AND whether you try to use the trip interruption portion of your policy or the trip cancellation.

This from Travelex most basic policy (which is the only insurance I will use because it is primary coverage):

2. Common Carrier delays resulting from inclement weather, or mechanical breakdown or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation;

3. arrangements canceled by an airline, cruise line, motor coach company, or tour operator, resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation.

This wording or very similar is in the Travelguard policy as well as many others. You can read the info verbatim on the insuremytrip website. But again, how you word the question and which portion of your policy you try to claim under has a lot of bearing on compensation.

Not to be argumentative, but I looked up a Travelguard policy on insuremytrip & mechanical breakdown is NOT covered...just as they said it wouldn't be when I called them. The language you cited was similar to what CSA told me as far as coverage, but Travelguard specifically told me mechanical issues are not covered. I said, "So, if your flight doesn't take off because the plane isn't operational and as a result you miss the cruise...that's not covered?" Reply: "No."

In relation to this debacle and the more I read the worse it is, so sorry for all you customers so badly let down Mr CEO Bailey does MIA mean Miami or missing in action or more appropriately during.

One thing you have to be careful with is the cheaper CSA plan does not cover Financial Default. There is so much fine print to read in all the different policies. Some coverage, like covering pre-existing conditions, must be purchased in a certain time line in order to have the coverage. It costs no more, but you must typically buy the plan early on.

Not to be argumentative, but I looked up a Travelguard policy on insuremytrip & mechanical breakdown is NOT covered...just as they said it wouldn't be when I called them. The language you cited was similar to what CSA told me as far as coverage, but Travelguard specifically told me mechanical issues are not covered. I said, "So, if your flight doesn't take off because the plane isn't operational and as a result you miss the cruise...that's not covered?" Reply: "No."

Again, it is the way you asked the question. The plane and the cruise are two separate issues.

IF you miss your cruise because of a mechanical with the plane, in almost all cases, you MUST attempt to get to your cruise somehow. You can't just say forget it and go home and expect to be reimbursed. THAT is NOT going to happen.

You must ATTEMPT to book a last minute ticket to the next port (if you can board at the next port-some in the Caribbean you can't and some in Alaska have PVSA fines). You MUST make an attempt. And EVERYTHING MUST be documented by the airline/cruise line/travel agent, etc. etc.

The ship breaking down and canceling your cruise is an entirely different issue. And this may be what the Travelguard agent is referring to under exclusions:

(m) any failure of a provider of travel related services (including any Travel Supplier) to provide the bargained for travel services or to refund money due the Insured;

Obviously, the cruise line would have to refund ALL monies associated with the cruise itself. You can't claim the cruise cost on your insurance because the cruise line has to reimburse.

Now whether Travelguard can refuse to reimburse other expenses-hotel cancellation fees, non refundable tours or transportation, etc. etc-due to this clause is very debatable. I am a non practicing attorney and I sure could make a case that everything NOT related to the cruise should be reimbursed. But then again, is it worth it to fight it out in court over something that would cost more in attorney fees than you would most likely ever gain? Another very good reason to read ALL the fine print. And I sure wouldn't buy a Travelguard policy with that wording because you very well could be in for a long, hard fight.

Excellent points Arno. I'm wondering if Celebrity will add a FL - San Diego sailing, once repairs are made, though I suspect if they do, it will be with few or no port calls, as they need to get ML back to the West Coast in a hurry.

Jones Law. There must be a foreign port.

One thing you have to be careful with is the cheaper CSA plan does not cover Financial Default. There is so much fine print to read in all the different policies. Some coverage, like covering pre-existing conditions, must be purchased in a certain time line in order to have the coverage. It costs no more, but you must typically buy the plan early on.

You have to read the pre-existing conditions section carefully. Most insurance companies effectively use scare tactics...you must buy within x days to have pre-existing conditions waived. However, if you read the policy, their definition of pre-existing conditions is quite different than what you think is a pre-existing condition...and in this case, their definition is better than yours :) If you have a medical condition and it is stable...that is, you only see your doctor on a regular basis and you have had no change in medication in the 90-180 days prior to the issuance of the policy....you do NOT have a pre-existing condition!!!!!

Hay this is great 3hrs before flight to celebrate my wife finishing chemo and radiation for the last year I get a call that my back to back trip is canceled been on the phone for the last day canceling things taking off work and celebrity will give me a credit of 50% the first week and 25% for the second week if you think that is a good deal your nuts you should see the cost to change and make last minute plans to try to do something before she has to go back to work in three weeks will get one week on the oasis for twice as much but I should be grateful for that its just hard right now maybe Saturday I will be able to be happy about this but don't think so john

Better than a call 3 hours AFTER the flight.

Was on the last (Aug 16) Millenium voyage; just got off the second flight they chartered leaving Ketchikan. Now at Vancouver airport, waiting for a flight I booked us for Edmonton (home).

Onboard situation for the Aug 16 passengers I think was going well until the travel booking team got started late last night, as people ended up being sent to places like Vancouver that they didn't necessarily want, but hadn't been asked and there was no communication about the process or the rationale. We were happy with it by accident, but many weren't. But if I were the customer service people, who were great and did what they could to help answer questions and take down requested plans, I'd probably want to strangle the travel booking people.

Having said that, I think getting people out of Ketchikan as fast as possible to anywhere where there were lots of connections is the smart thing to do.

With all the (understandable) griping of people onboard plus those on the now cancelled sailings, there's actually one thing that really bothers me more than anything else.

As a preamble, this is what I've heard from a number of sources, but would love to get any kind of official confirmation.

It's not in regard to the passengers, but the crew.

As should be known, the boat is out of commission for four weeks, heading to repairs in Bahamas.

Apparently, the vast majority of the crew (who are I assume under contract only indirectly to Celebrity) will NOT be getting paid for the down time. They will continue to receive their room and board, but not only are they foregoing the tips they'd get from passengers, but their actual salary.

Needless to say, most of them do not have the financial resources to just fly off home for the down time.

While we all suffer with our "first world problems", these are people working their collective butts off whose families are often counting on them for financial help. Taking that kind of bite out of their income is to me far more tragic than anything I've heard with regard to passenger hardships.

If I am misinformed about this, I would dearly like to know.

You know, there's another way to look at this. The crew have a free cabin (albeit shared), free food and a ship absent of guests. This means they will in all likelihood be able to relax by the pool on deck for a month with minimal work to do.

If someone offered me this same deal, I don't know I'd be too upset.

Not really, if it was 3 hours after the flight then the poster would have gotten 100% FCC...now they get 50% because they did not step on the plane...

Where have you read the FCC changes based on whether on not a flight is initiated? I haven't read that anywhere.

Archived