Fanny pack while in port - advice needed

cruising mickey

I wear a little pouch around my neck, under my shirt. As for not looking like a tourist...I've been to every continent but Antarctica, and lived overseas for a total of ten years, and IME the locals can tell tourists a mile away, even if the tourist is of the same racial background as most of the locals. They might start to speak to you in their language simply because that's the only language they speak!

And when you speak to them and they realize you aren't local and they switch to English?

The only time the guy didn't switch was in Puerto Rico, and with English compulsory in school there and he being maybe 17-18, I know he spoke it, he just never realized I wasn't local as I bought my groceries.

Of course. We all look like tourists, even you. Paul. We just do. :)

Karen,

I don't doubt that I look like a tourist. I am just saying most of the people getting off the ship look like a tourists with or without a fanny pack.

Karen,

I don't doubt that I look like a tourist. I am just saying most of the people getting off the ship look like a tourists with or without a fanny pack.

Absolutely. I just think a fanny pack is ugly and bulky and really makes one more vulnerable to a thief. Plus I really hate the look of them! LOL:p:D

In my opinion a fanny pack marks you as both a tourist and not one who is particularly savvy as well. A smart cross body bag is a better choice, and traveling light is the best choice. Use an under clothing money wallet for your ID, credit card, and cash (keeping a small amount in a zippered, deep, or snapped pocket for incidental purchases) and you're all set.

I was going to make the same (or at least similar!) remark but read yours first. Then I recognized your name from the DIS boards! :) When we were going there regularly you always had such great advice, I remember seeing pics of your home that you were building in FL. Great to "see" you here as I learn about cruising!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to mention I have had difficulties in the past with one of those hidden wallet things you wear around your waist under your clothing. I purchased one at a travel products store. It was not the least expensive available, but was certainly not an expensive purchase. I wore it for five days and the strap broke while I was on a bus late in the afternoon of the fifth day.

Since that time, I instead take a bit of material and hand stitch a pocket to the front waistband of my skirt, pants, or shorts. I've found it easy to reach in and pull out the credit card and / or cash I keep there without anyone noticing anything untoward. I have also stitched a pocket into the band of several of my bras which I use for a shrunk, laminated copy of my passport for emergencies.

And if you really MUST wear one, remember that in the UK, Australia and NZ (at least), it's called a "bum bag". "Fanny" has a VERY different meaning from "buttocks" here and isn't a word I would ever have used in front of my grandmother. :eek:

My husband and I have been mistaken for locals several times in Europe. We try to not look like obvious tourists (have camera when visiting major places but just as often it's locked in a safe while we sit in a sidewalk cafe enjoying people watching. How do I know people think we are local? They've either started speaking in the language of whatever country we were in when in outside the tourist area restaurants and shops (not tourist shops, but places like grocery stores) or others who were obvious tourists have come up to us on the street asking for directions to this place or that.

I have had the same experience many times. Approached for directions or information by "locals" who are nationals but not local. Just tourists like me. I think it is silly to "not look like a tourist", and I think a fanny pack would be fine. Security is more a matter of knowing where you are, who is around you (mostly other tourists, lol), and just being aware. I do think the fanny packs are kind of cumbersome; I prefer carrying a pouch with shoulder strap, cross body. Same for camera.

Edited by jamessemaj

Fanny packs are like wearing a bag with a big bulls eye that tells all the pick-pockets, "here is where I keep my valuables." We used to use fanny packs (the Brits call them bum packs) but tend to avoid those things these days. I normally prefer to keep my money and valuables in a front pocket (I usually wear cargo pants or shorts) and then further secure the pocket with a large safety pin. It makes it difficult for a pick pocket to get anything and they will normally look for the easy "mark" and avoid those who take obvious precautions. As to a Passport, we never carry that document since its worth as much as $10,000 on the Black Market and that is a lot of money to be carrying around. If we must take a Passport (this happens in some countries) I have a special Passport wallet that holds our passports and is secured under my shirt.

Hank

I will be using a Scottvest for our next cruise. It has 4 zippered pockets on the outside and a ton of pockets and pouches on the inside. It is a Vest with open arms so you can use a long sleeve shirt if it is cooler or short sleeve in warmer weather. My camera strap is a PacSafe Camera strap that is steel lined so it is slash proof. I also carry a letter opener which is a Kevlar/Hard plastic letter opener that is very sharp with a sharp point that does not trip metal detectors anywhere. This stays in a very easy to get to pocket if needed. Remember we cannot carry arms or knives on or off the ship especially in these foreign countries that we visit. I want to have the highest level of security for myself and family when travelling. I also scan everyone all the time looking for those that may be looking for me. Eyes open and aware of my surroundings all the time.

Edited by Steviewonder1

I stopped wearing my favorite fanny pak, because my DD says it smells of tourist...and I would definetely make a "Not to wear List or picture somewhere"

So........I purchased a "Sling purse" that I am able to place in front of me, and it just has some small change, and necesities, and it is secure.

Oh growing old, it was time to change:D

Sea Ya

I stopped wearing my favorite fanny pak, because my DD says it smells of tourist...and I would definetely make a "Not to wear List or picture somewhere"

So........I purchased a "Sling purse" that I am able to place in front of me, and it just has some small change, and necesities, and it is secure.

Oh growing old, it was time to change:D

Sea Ya

We live in Puerto Vallarta in the winter and have a condo that overlooks part of the Malecon (and sea) where we spend a lot of time looking for whales and People Watching. When DW sees anyone walking under our balcony who is wearing a fanny pack and carrying a bottle of water she immediately says, "there goes a cruise passenger." :p

Hank

Oh, my Lord. I really did think that fanny packs died out. I don't want to sound like a big snob (being from Pawtucket, RI makes it difficult to be a snob) but, who looks good in a fanny pack? Just pick up a tasteful cross body bag that has some sort of closure.

I travel with a nylon Tumi cross body bag that has sort of a large flap. It's easy for me to get in and out of (for grabbing my camera, wallet or bottle of water) but difficult for anyone else to reach into. Oh, and it doesn't leave my body. If you sit, just shift it around to sit in your lap.

Baggallini makes hundreds of different bags that are fantastic and look great. Heck, if you have a Marshalls or a TJ Maxx nearby just go in to the handbag section. They're all there and cheap!

I certainly don't mind people thinking I'm a tourist...if they're looking at me that hard I want them to think that there goes one well dressed tourist who looks confident, at ease and at home.

Under Armour make t-shirt for concealed carry that has a pocket under either arm perfect for defeating pickpockets.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be reaching for anything stored in somebody's underarm area! :eek: Ewwwwwww. Guess I wouldn't make a very successful pickpocket.

Karen,

Yes, this is perfectly true. It is often futile to try to look like a local, and it really isn't necessary to try. But fanny packs just make you vulnerable. As some others have pointed out, they're the first thing that pickpockets look for. Why not just make things easier for yourself and use something safer?

On land vacations we will use a moneybelt under our clothes. On cruises, we keep things to the minimum. DH will use a moneybelt, with a little cash in a buttoned pocket. I have a small cross body bag. My bag is big enough to hold our cameras when not in use. We rarely spend time on a beach, but when we do we have a small waterproof case that can be secured in his swimsuit pocket.

And if you really MUST wear one, remember that in the UK, Australia and NZ (at least), it's called a "bum bag". "Fanny" has a VERY different meaning from "buttocks" here and isn't a word I would ever have used in front of my grandmother. :eek:

I find myself wondering what people in England thought when my great-uncle took his American wife, Fanny, home for a visit. At least now I know what the adults were snickering about when they speculated how the visit home was going.

Edited by TravelinGert

YES!!!!!!! I learned that from a member of the entertainment staff on our last cruise who was from the UK. Lets just say that "fanny" refers to private lady bits.

Bum bags are not secure. I've known many a person who've had them cut off be thieves. In a crowded place, all it takes is a swift cut with a box cutter, and you've lost everything.

Interesting discussion. We've been traveling for 27 years. We've been on 35+ cruises and many mission trips to 5 countries. I always wear my fanny pack. It has become a running joke - how totally unfashionable I continue to be - lots of photos with mom and her embarrassing fanny pack. I never carry anything I can't live without. I totally understand those who hide large amounts of money with special gear. Having traveled extensively, I can easily spot tourists - so I'm very sure thieves can spot us too - so I don't think My fanny pack is giving me away. I guess I will continue to be one of the die-hard fanny pack wearers.

Hello,

Just wondering if I should wear a fanny pack while in each port. I'd like to keep things (passport card, other ID, $$, etc.) in one centralized location rather than my wallet. Any suggestions, or just stick with the wallet?

Thanks in advance

fanny pack / bum bag call it what you want they all scream ........ 'here are my valuables in one place... feel free to rob me as I'm a stupid tourist'.......

fanny pack / bum bag call it what you want they all scream ........ 'here are my valuables in one place... feel free to rob me as I'm a stupid tourist'.......

I know there wasn't anything meant by it...but, when I read the word 'stupid' in a reply to a post I tend to get creeped out. Yep, I know, it wasn't being mean...the word just feels awkward in such a friendly environment. Just sayn'.;)

Edited by StevenStephen

I'm a little confused...I just spent a bunch of money to get our passports so that I don't get stuck in foreign country and everyone says to leave on ship?? I have excursions booked on my own...not carnival. Seems like on the ship isn't going to help me.

I have to say that I swung round in surprise when a teenager asked about someone's f***y pack on board an NCL cruise- I thought he was being obnoxious, but he wasn't at all...the title of this post still makes me wince whenever I come on the page. :p

I have to say that I swung round in surprise when a teenager asked about someone's f***y pack on board an NCL cruise- I thought he was being obnoxious, but he wasn't at all...the title of this post still makes me wince whenever I come on the page. :p

I think the word fanny came about because old timers when about to spank their children said something like "I'm going to fan your behind". In other words as fast as you would fan yourself with a hand fan is how fast those wacks are going to come. They also used to say "i'm going to tan your behind". Anyway, that's what I think.

And I say if you like fanny packs you aren't stupid. It works for you so go with it.

I'm a little confused...I just spent a bunch of money to get our passports so that I don't get stuck in foreign country and everyone says to leave on ship?? I have excursions booked on my own...not carnival. Seems like on the ship isn't going to help me.

Take a copy with you off the ship....if anything happens (i.e. you and the ship are separated), you can get it replaced much easier by having a copy.