Live from Allure of the Seas - August 25, 2013

Daghis

I can't believe it, but in just ten hours, I'll be onboard a plane, flying down to Fort Lauderdale. And then twenty-four hours after that flight, I'll be checking in for a western Caribbean sailing on Allure of the Seas!

I've had some reasonable success in the past with live threads, so I thought I'd try doing one again. I'm encouraged by the offer of unlimited internet access while onboard, so I'll have plenty of time to participate in this thread, upload photos, and share my experience. I hope others will enjoy what I have to offer.

One of my goals is to find interesting things to take pictures of to create a photo scavenger hunt. I did this previously for Freedom of the Seas for my friends and I want to do it again as my friends and I will be sailing on Allure again October next year. I'll share my hunt items here for you all to guess as well.

Technical Description

For those who may be curious, I'll be managing this live thread while onboard using an iPad 2 with a Logitech FabricSkin Keyboard Folio. This is my first time traveling with this keyboard. I've used a separate Apple wireless keyboard in the past, but this time I'm trying a combination keyboard/case. I'll be using Tapatalk to access this forum.

My photos will be taken with a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS20 and uploaded to my personal gallery via the iPad using an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit.

One of the reasons we're doing this cruise is that I'm six points away from Diamond, so there's one reason. In addition, my traveling companion is using his Future Cruise Certificate from having been on the Memorial Day Fire cruise of Grandeur of the Seas. Plus, he's getting close to Diamond, too, but that'll take him another cruise before he'll get to that level.

Here's some of what we have planned so far...

We have a Boardwalk Balcony cabin on deck 11 pretty far aft. I'm hoping we get a good view of not only the Aquatheater and other things on the Boardwalk, but also of the water from our balcony. If not from there, then we'll definitely enjoy the public aft balcony at the end of the hallway. I'm planning that we'll enjoy sail away from there.

We've purchased the Allure Choice Dining Package giving us Samba Grill, Chops Grille, Giovanni's Table, and Izumi for $80, a savings of $20. We have Samba Grill scheduled for Monday night (the first formal night) and we're currently thinking that Izumi will be on Thursday (the second formal night). We haven't decided when to have the other two.

For excursions and such, we're hoping we'll be able to get a cabana at Labadee. We'll be heading right for the Explorations! desk after boarding to see whether we can get lucky. In Cozumel, we're going to Nachi Cocom since we've heard so many good things about there. I don't have anything planned for Falmouth, Jamaica.

Thank you all for your well wishes!

And, DonnaK, I do remember that cruise very well! That cruise on Allure set the bar pretty high. I'm looking forward to seeing her and her crew perform equally well this time.

Oh yeah! Live thread! Even better, Daghis live thread! I think you will love love love that cabin location! There is always some action on the BW and you willl be able to see both the AT action and the wake- though its quite high up and not as "intimate" as a traditional balcony. Anyway, its a cool experience being on the BW, and I was glad we did it for one of our cabins!

Enjoy your cruise ill be following along;)

We just got off the Allure.

We did Samba the first night and loved it! It was also nice not having to deal with the chaos of first night in the MDR.

That sounds like a great plan!

For some reason, I really like going to the MDR on the first night. Of course, with four specialty restaurants booked, I'll only be going to the MDR (My Time Dining) on three nights during the cruise.

If the first night's menu is "Mojo", I might splurge and go for the whole lobster or maybe even the "surf and turf" (lobster and filet mignon) instead. The "Mojo" menu didn't otherwise thrill me. We'll see what I'm inspired to have tomorrow night.

Okay... I'm off to the airport! Time to catch a plane! Hurray for business class upgrades! :D

Archived