Live from Allure of the Seas - August 25, 2013

Daghis

Thanks for the live thread.

Looking forward to traveling with you on this tread.

We have been on Allure before so this is going to bring back

some good memories.

Can't wait for post from Nachi Cocom, we have not been

there yet, but have heard other very good comments on it.

Just want to know what your opinion is about it.

We will be at Nachi Cocom this coming November, so this

will be our preview. Hope to see lots of pictures.

Wishing you a great cruise!!

Looking forward to your live posts. Enjoy your cruise. We had cabin 11329 a boardwalk balcony on our Allure cruise. We enjoyed it a lot. We also enjoyed the private balcony and found that not to many people used it.

Thanks to all of you who have joined me on my trip. It's great to have the company!

We just got to the hotel after having a yummy crab lunch (although it was rather pricey, but there was a lot of crab included!). We are staying at the Hampton Inn (North Cruise Port, I think it's called). We got a prepaid rate of about $110 including taxes, so it's not too bad. We'll be returning our Avis rental car in the morning and taking their shuttle to the port.

I am planning on saving the Cruise Compasses and Specials to share with everyone afterward. I'm also looking forward to reporting on how well the wifi works on the ship as I'm expecting to use it a fair bit.

I'm hoping to head out and watch Oasis set sail from the beach this afternoon. It should be neat to see a ship the size of a large building passing by us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I can't believe it, but in just ten hours, I'll be onboard a plane, flying down to Fort Lauderdale. And then twenty-four hours after that flight, I'll be checking in for a western Caribbean sailing on Allure of the Seas!

I've had some reasonable success in the past with live threads, so I thought I'd try doing one again. I'm encouraged by the offer of unlimited internet access while onboard, so I'll have plenty of time to participate in this thread, upload photos, and share my experience. I hope others will enjoy what I have to offer.

One of my goals is to find interesting things to take pictures of to create a photo scavenger hunt. I did this previously for Freedom of the Seas for my friends and I want to do it again as my friends and I will be sailing on Allure again October next year. I'll share my hunt items here for you all to guess as well.

Technical Description

For those who may be curious, I'll be managing this live thread while onboard using an iPad 2 with a Logitech FabricSkin Keyboard Folio. This is my first time traveling with this keyboard. I've used a separate Apple wireless keyboard in the past, but this time I'm trying a combination keyboard/case. I'll be using Tapatalk to access this forum.

My photos will be taken with a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS20 and uploaded to my personal gallery via the iPad using an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit.

I would love to hear your opinion of the keyboard. I've been considering one for my iPad2 as well. How do you like it?

Marc -

We just got off the Allure.

We did Samba the first night and loved it! It was also nice not having to deal with the chaos of first night in the MDR.

Enjoy!

That's right!! We sailed together!!

I know Marc from our previous Allure and Oasis sailings.

I have subscribed and am looking forward to your Live Report!

We will be following you soon on Sep 8th

Hi Trainman! Wondered where you have been and when you were sailing next! Too bad we couldnt have sailed with you on Allure...we just got off last Sunday....

Thanks to all of you who have joined me on my trip. It's great to have the company!

We just got to the hotel after having a yummy crab lunch (although it was rather pricey, but there was a lot of crab included!). We are staying at the Hampton Inn (North Cruise Port, I think it's called). We got a prepaid rate of about $110 including taxes, so it's not too bad. We'll be returning our Avis rental car in the morning and taking their shuttle to the port.

I am planning on saving the Cruise Compasses and Specials to share with everyone afterward. I'm also looking forward to reporting on how well the wifi works on the ship as I'm expecting to use it a fair bit.

I'm hoping to head out and watch Oasis set sail from the beach this afternoon. It should be neat to see a ship the size of a large building passing by us!

I will be following you this week and wishing I was back on Allure :rolleyes:

I thought the wifi on the ship was very SLOW on my iphone, but I only

used it when RC offered it free for 2 hrs on 2 sea days for having 50 million cruisers....

We were coming back from Lauderdale by the Sea on Aug 10, and saw Oasis sailing away right in front of us. It was SO cool!!! enjoy!!

have a great time!!!!!

Did you look into that tour company (Liberty Tours Jamaica) that we used in Falmouth?? We really liked it.

Have fun!!!

YAAAY! A live review!:D

We were on the Allure in May and she is fabulous. We are looking forward to our Western cruise on the Oasis in 2015. We will be in the last aft Boardwalk Balcony, portside. So I am looking forward of your pictures of the view from your cabin. We know we should have some nice views from where we are. Others in our group are inthe next tow cabins, so right now we have the last three Boardwalk balconies booked on portside.

Also, I hope you can take some pictures of the actual "secret" balcony on deck 11. I have pictures of the view, but forgot to take pictures of the balcony itself.

I will be following you this week and wishing I was back on Allure :rolleyes:

I thought the wifi on the ship was very SLOW on my iphone, but I only

used it when RC offered it free for 2 hrs on 2 sea days for having 50 million cruisers....

We were coming back from Lauderdale by the Sea on Aug 10, and saw Oasis sailing away right in front of us. It was SO cool!!! enjoy!!

have a great time!!!!!

Did you look into that tour company (Liberty Tours Jamaica) that we used in Falmouth?? We really liked it.

Have fun!!!

I wonder whether they'll be offering free wifi during this cruise as well. I'll try not to use it during those periods. :)

No, we haven't looked into that tour. I'm still thinking I'm just going to chill on the ship while in Falmouth.

YAAAY! A live review!:D

We were on the Allure in May and she is fabulous. We are looking forward to our Western cruise on the Oasis in 2015. We will be in the last aft Boardwalk Balcony, portside. So I am looking forward of your pictures of the view from your cabin. We know we should have some nice views from where we are. Others in our group are inthe next tow cabins, so right now we have the last three Boardwalk balconies booked on portside.

Also, I hope you can take some pictures of the actual "secret" balcony on deck 11. I have pictures of the view, but forgot to take pictures of the balcony itself.

During my next Allure cruise in 2014, we'll be in 11329. It seems like a great cabin!

I'll be sure to take pictures of the public aft balcony there.

You are sailing on my birthday! Have a great trip! We still have over a year to go until our first sail on the Allure.

And it's my birthday, too... well, today is. I'm still considering this to be a birthday cruise. Thanks!

I would love to hear your opinion of the keyboard. I've been considering one for my iPad2 as well. How do you like it?

It seems pretty nice. There's the issue that it's a sub-sized form-factor, so the keys are a bit out of place from where you'd expect them on a normal keyboard, but I still can touch-type decently enough.

I did find that the case is bulky enough that I cannot plug in my SD card reader into the dock connector, so I have to remove the iPad from the case first. That's a drag.

The other downside to the case is that it's expensive at $150 or so.

Going down to the beach to watch Oasis sail away was a really great idea and a lot of fun. We parked in the Fort Lauderdale Beach Park parking ($1.75/hour, prepaid at an automated kiosk) and walked down to the end of the beach. It's about a mile walk and through the sand, it took us about 30 minutes to get to the rocks at the end of the beach.

We got there just as Carnival Freedom was pulling out of port.

normal_image%7E41.jpg

Then, not too long afterward, Oasis of the Seas started backing up from her berth.

normal_image%7E42.jpg

Soon, she had turned and started heading down the channel.

normal_image%7E43.jpg

And after a long while of her sailing by slowly, she started heading away from us.

normal_image%7E44.jpg

After she left, we headed back to the car (another half hour walk :)) and drove around to find something for dinner. We found a sushi place (Tokyo Sushi) relatively near the Total Wine shop at which we wanted to browse to pick up a bottle to bring with us tomorrow. The sushi was quite good and we were very satisfied after our meal.

A quick stop at Total Wine and we picked up a recommended Pinot Grigio to enjoy on our Boardwalk Balcony, and now we're back at the hotel, relaxing for the evening.

Tomorrow's going to be an exciting and busy day! We're planning on leaving the hotel around 9 AM so we can hopefully get to the port between 10:00 and 10:30, depending on Avis's shuttle. The cruise is almost here!!

I'm so excited for you!! You've already done a fabulous job so far and I eagerly await all you will be posting this week!

ENJOY!!

I hope you will post pictures of any specialty dining menus... and maybe the lunch menu for MDR.

Not much longer now!

Archived