Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

I really think that Celebrity will use a variation of the RCI Crown & Anchor program.

I doubt that Celebrity's Computer capabilities are up to counting actual sailing days all the way back into the early 90's.

The chart posted earlier with minor fudge factors will probably be the model.

However: February might be after the changeover date suggested as the start of the new year (I refuse to enter a date, it may be 2020).

If you are presently 60% of the way there the goal posts may be adjusted a bit.

By the looks of your picture, you will have decades to enjoy elite benefits and beyond.

And I don't think the Celebrity employees can count the days either.

I'm not Elite - but I hope to be some day - although if they change the program before I get there - it may be WAY off in the future. One question though - why do you think it fair to make the Elite at 140 days - a HUGE :eek: increase in what it takes today. For those of us on the way to Elite - to raise the bar that high when many are so close - would be a bummer. Currently I have only 4 credits or 16 days. With my next cruise in Feb. - I'll have 7 credits and 30 days, cruise after that will have 10 credits and 45 days. We would then be Elite. Under your proposed plan it would take us years to get to 140 days - hardly seems fair when all you had to do was get 10 credits. Just saying. I'd like to think they'll add tiers on the top end of the program and leave the other levels as is! :D

If Celebrity follows RCI on the change from points to days which is what I think that they will do then I see them adding an additional level. RCI added Pinnacle which requires 700 cruise points to reach when it only takes 175 cruise points to reach D+. There is a large gap between D+ and Pinnacle. Many felt that RCI should have added another level in between.

Also when RCI made the switch from points to days, they credited everyone seven days for each point they had earned. Some who had cruised on many of the three and four days cruises made out very well while those who had taken longer cruises received the short end of the stick. I suspect that X will do pretty much the same thing if they convert to days in place of points as they have no system in place that can calculate easily. When and if they do, watch out!!!!! ;)

What is the point of speculating? People are getting themselves in an uproar before they even know anything. It's obvious that they need to do something and if they don't make the next level a lot more difficult to achieve they will still have the same problems they have today.

When I check my sailing history on "My Celebrity" page, they show the number of days of each cruise in my history, going back to pre Royal Caribbean days (1996), so they may be able to calculate days sailed. Regardless, as Ma Bell says, there's no reason to be concerned about it, but is is fun to speculate!

Whatever they say the new levels will be, & how you qualify, will not make much difference to us. The perks of the CC are nice, but thats not the reason we sail on Celebrity.

When I check my sailing history on "My Celebrity" page, they show the number of days of each cruise in my history, going back to pre Royal Caribbean days (1996), so they may be able to calculate days sailed. Regardless, as Ma Bell says, there's no reason to be concerned about it, but is is fun to speculate!

Whatever they say the new levels will be, & how you qualify, will not make much difference to us. The perks of the CC are nice, but thats not the reason we sail on Celebrity.

Ditto!

Now on the flip side, we need 21 points to reach 'D' on Royal. After our Nov cruise we will be at 9 points with X. Any idea who our next booking will be with!:D

What is the point of speculating? People are getting themselves in an uproar before they even know anything.

"What is the point of speculating?"You have 7,658 posts and you ask this question ?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I am always reading that there are too many Elites and this is why changes on the loyalty levels should take place. Can somebody tell me how many Elites are there? What percentage is that from the total captain club members? What percentage is that from the total number of passengers that cruise with Celebrity in one year? On transatlantic itineraries there are many elites. In one of them, i think about 30% were Elites. An additional level will not necessarily contribute to less elites, it will just make it more attractive to continue booking with Celebrity in order to reach that level. But elites are anyway already booking a lot with Celebrity. So what is the incentive for Celebrity to add a new level for a more exclusiv group?

I am always reading that there are too many Elites and this is why changes on the loyalty levels should take place. Can somebody tell me how many Elites are there? What percentage is that from the total captain club members? What percentage is that from the total number of passengers that cruise with Celebrity in one year? On transatlantic itineraries there are many elites. In one of them, i think about 30% were Elites. An additional level will not necessarily contribute to less elites, it will just make it more attractive to continue booking with Celebrity in order to reach that level. But elites are anyway already booking a lot with Celebrity. So what is the incentive for Celebrity to add a new level for a more exclusiv group?

MONEY! See post 171.

What is the point of speculating? .

It beats answering the same old questions.

We speculate because we do not know the answer so it is good to hear ideas, although it will have no bearing in the outcome.

All said and this is a discussion forum for just this purpose.

Our maybe we should just delete this thread and go back to normal.

"The first formal night is on Tuesday and you are not seriously wearing that for dinner are you?"

Normal service restored. :D

It beats answering the same old questions.

We speculate because we do not know the answer so it is good to hear ideas, although it will have no bearing in the outcome.

All said and this is a discussion forum for just this purpose.

Our maybe we should just delete this thread and go back to normal.

"The first formal night is on Tuesday and you are not seriously wearing that for dinner are you?"

Normal service restored. :D

Yes, But I do not think Ma Bell was so much down on the speculation but more the getting upset about some of the speculated plans.:D

I like the discussions and different opinions on why something would work or not.:D

MONEY! See post 171.

The parent company is experiencing an increase in bookings despite higher prices this year. Passengers are paying the higher average prices. The European market is rebounding nicely. Wall Street is predicting a 31% increase in earnings for next year. So the model appears to be working. The company is doing real well.

Yes, But I do not think Ma Bell was so much down on the speculation but more the getting upset about some of the speculated plans.:D

I like the discussions and different opinions on why something would work or not.:D

Exactly.

I'm not Elite - but I hope to be some day - although if they change the program before I get there - it may be WAY off in the future. One question though - why do you think it fair to make the Elite at 140 days - a HUGE :eek: increase in what it takes today. For those of us on the way to Elite - to raise the bar that high when many are so close - would be a bummer. Currently I have only 4 credits or 16 days. With my next cruise in Feb. - I'll have 7 credits and 30 days, cruise after that will have 10 credits and 45 days. We would then be Elite. Under your proposed plan it would take us years to get to 140 days - hardly seems fair when all you had to do was get 10 credits. Just saying. I'd like to think they'll add tiers on the top end of the program and leave the other levels as is! :D

In the USA you can take 10 3/4 night cruises and achieve Elite and Diamond on RCL. In the rest of the world we take 12/17 night cruises as it is not worth flying for less. Therefore, 10 cruises @ 12/17 nights equals 120/170 nights, an increase on the USA 30/40 nights

Then a USA Elite having taken 1 RCL cruise [3/4 nights] to achieve Diamond they can enroll your whole household as D's - They all then become Elite on their first Cruise, and so on, and on, and on. There are too many Elites due in some part to the USA breeding programme.

The USA has done nothing wrong in working the system to their advantage, but now the Celebrity penny has dropped on Elites.

To Celebrity, the Elite status will soon [or has already] become financially unsustainable and the axe will fall. IMHO the axes will fall in line with RCL, this being 140 nights then 275 nights.

I

To Celebrity, the Elite status will soon [or has already] become financially unsustainable and the axe will fall. IMHO the axes will fall in line with RCL, this being 140 nights then 275 nights.

I don't know how you are getting RCL numbers: must be the transfer from US to Imperial measurements: ;)

80 Diamond, 175 D+, 700 Pinnacle. per the Crown & Anchor web page.

In the USA you can take 10 3/4 night cruises and achieve Elite and Diamond on RCL. In the rest of the world we take 12/17 night cruises as it is not worth flying for less. Therefore, 10 cruises @ 12/17 nights equals 120/170 nights, an increase on the USA 30/40 nights

Then a USA Elite having taken 1 RCL cruise [3/4 nights] to achieve Diamond they can enroll your whole household as D's - They all then become Elite on their first Cruise, and so on, and on, and on. There are too many Elites due in some part to the USA breeding programme.

The USA has done nothing wrong in working the system to their advantage, but now the Celebrity penny has dropped on Elites.

This so-called breeding program has some truth to it, but only if you are talking about the limited number of cruisers who live down in Florida where those short cruises originate. The vast majority of us Yankees cannot afford the airfare to be flying down regularly to book short cruises just to get to Elite. That truly, then, is but a small component of the large Elite numbers. There are three primary reasons the numbers are so large- first and foremost is the RCI Diamond or higher members being added as Elite when they cruise, second is the simple fact that Celebrity has now been sailing for many, many years so of course the numbers have risen, and last is the fact that CC and higher get two cruise points instead of one. It all adds up to crowds and a special level where no one is special because half the ship is special.

This so-called breeding program has some truth to it, but only if you are talking about the limited number of cruisers who live down in Florida where those short cruises originate. The vast majority of us Yankees cannot afford the airfare to be flying down regularly to book short cruises just to get to Elite. That truly, then, is but a small component of the large Elite numbers. There are three primary reasons the numbers are so large- first and foremost is the RCI Diamond or higher members being added as Elite when they cruise, second is the simple fact that Celebrity has now been sailing for many, many years so of course the numbers have risen, and last is the fact that CC and higher get two cruise points instead of one. It all adds up to crowds and a special level where no one is special because half the ship is special.

Your point of view is accepted with thanks.

One just hopes that the powers that be in Celebrity and RCL [viewing now?] considers these intelligent and varied posts when making their decision. For my part I think the axe will fall at 140 [a la RCL]. I seem to recall [correct if wrong], that a person from Celebrity stated Elites will not suffer any loss of benefits, but did not confirm who will be Elites in the future.:rolleyes:

Opinions from all at CC would be very interesting.

Thank you again

I really think that Celebrity will use a variation of the RCI Crown & Anchor program.

I doubt that Celebrity's Computer capabilities are up to counting actual days - But RCL's computer already can.;)

RCL did not convert from one system to another by counting actual days sailed. They used the fudge factor rewarding those who had taken short cruises and angering people with longer cruises who lost out by Royal's computers "inability" to count. If RCI' computers could not be programmed for this supposedly simple computation, Celebrity's proven aptitude for computer snafus will not be able to do it either.. I will apologize to Celebrity's computer if they prove me wrong.. ;)

"~Cruisenut~;39732125]I really think that Celebrity will use a variation of the RCI Crown & Anchor program.

I doubt that Celebrity's Computer capabilities are up to counting actual days -"

RCL did not convert from one system to another by counting actual days sailed. They used the fudge factor rewarding those who had taken short cruises and angering people with longer cruises who lost out by Royal's computers "inability" to count. If RCI' computers could not be programmed for this supposedly simple computation, Celebrity's proven aptitude for computer snafus will not be able to do it either.. I will apologize to Celebrity's computer if they prove me wrong.. ;)

Wow - You sound slighted by this;)

I guess you must think we all live in Florida. LOL In all my years I've never taken a 3 or 4 night cruise and in fact have taken very few cruises under 12 days. The majority of the land mass of Europe would fit in just the portion of the US that is east of the Mississippi. It takes about the same amount of time to fly from the west coast of the USA to the east coast as it does to fly from there to many European cities. In fact, just going from state to state here is like going from country to country in Europe. Even with that, a very small portion of our cruises have been to the Caribbean. The great majority of our cruises are to other parts of the world.

There are plenty of Florida based cruisers who might have the opportunity to do short cruises, however, most Celebrity cruises are not the 3 or 4 day variety.

It's certainly true that there are a lot more Elite Captain's Club members from the USA, but that's probably because a great majority of the Celebrity Cruisers are from the US.

I guess you must think we all live in Florida. LOL In all my years I've never taken a 3 or 4 night cruise and in fact have taken very few cruises under 12 days. The majority of the land mass of Europe would fit in just the portion of the US that is east of the Mississippi. It takes about the same amount of time to fly from the west coast of the USA to the east coast as it does to fly from there to many European cities. In fact, just going from state to state here is like going from country to country in Europe. Even with that, a very small portion of our cruises have been to the Caribbean. The great majority of our cruises are to other parts of the world.

There are plenty of Florida based cruisers who might have the opportunity to do short cruises, however, most Celebrity cruises are not the 3 or 4 day variety.

It's certainly true that there are a lot more Elite Captain's Club members from the USA, but that's probably because a great majority of the Celebrity Cruisers are from the US.

Accepted in principle - To greatly reduce the number of Elites per say, where [number of sea days] do you think the Elite axe should fall?

Just so I understand, currently my DH and I have 85 actual days sailed. However, we are "supposed" to get extra points for suites, cc and aqua class which are the categories we typically sail in. Would our "days" be increased to reflect our sailing category?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Archived