Reflection Aqua Class Value

wf083145

We've been trying to find our next cruise (#22) for a few weeks of frustration. We were ready to book Reflection's Med cruise in 5/14 until we discovered that the airfare would have been at least $4,200 for sardine seats. We found good itineraries on old ships or undesirables or newer ships going where we didn't want to go. We finally concluded we wanted a relaxing get-away so who cared if the ports where places we had already visited.

We looked at Allure and then saw that Reflection was also in the Caribbean thru 4/15. Then we figured that being on Allure with 6,000 pax might not be as laid back and relaxing as Reflection. So we're looking at an Aqua balcony as opposed to regular balcony or sunset veranda, thinking it might be a little more calming.

All that leads to this: are the perks in Aqua class, including Blu worth the price difference or just some pricey hype? We would really appreciate any feedback in helping us with this decision.

We've been trying to find our next cruise (#22) for a few weeks of frustration. We were ready to book Reflection's Med cruise in 5/14 until we discovered that the airfare would have been at least $4,200 for sardine seats. We found good itineraries on old ships or undesirables or newer ships going where we didn't want to go. We finally concluded we wanted a relaxing get-away so who cared if the ports where places we had already visited.

We looked at Allure and then saw that Reflection was also in the Caribbean thru 4/15. Then we figured that being on Allure with 6,000 pax might not be as laid back and relaxing as Reflection. So we're looking at an Aqua balcony as opposed to regular balcony or sunset veranda, thinking it might be a little more calming.

All that leads to this: are the perks in Aqua class, including Blu worth the price difference or just some pricey hype? We would really appreciate any feedback in helping us with this decision.

Most think the best perk of Aqua is Blu however there are some who do not like it. Only you can make that determination, many of the other perks are superficial or available to everyone on the ship. I usually book a lower class cabin and look for upgrades which are very often available if you are proactive about it.

Many times you will find the AQ cabins to be relatively close to the same price as a standard balcony. It all depends on how sales are.

The price point that I put on the value is about $25/day pp for AQ over a balcony category that would give me a good location and that is pushing it to the limit.

The main features are the footstool on the balcony, Blu, the shower panel and the Persian Gardens on the S class. One of the best features is not having to fight the crowd in the buffet for breakfast. It is nice to sit down and be served instead of being a runner. Service is also better for breakfast than in the MDR.

On the M class it isn't with more than $10/day.

If you feel the extra money could be used for other things than it isn't worth it. It just adds a few extra luxuries that sometimes may make a great cruise a little better.

Edited by miched

Feeling the same way about airfare to Europe these days. It will come down eventually, I think, but for now we have cancelled plans to cruise over there in 2014.

We prefer AQ class, but mostly for Blu. We like the MDR too, but prefer the smaller Blu and the "smart casual" every day (no need to dress up). The priority boarding is nice, too. The shower is upgraded in the cabin and you have a couple of other perks, but nothing too fantastic.

All comes down to price. I know sometimes we get AQ for the same or barely more than a verandah. It's worth an extra $200-$300 dollars (each) for us on a 7 day cruise.

We were ready to book Reflection's Med cruise in 5/14 until we discovered that the airfare would have been at least $4,200 for sardine seats.

Not clear where you are getting these airfares. Using kayak dot com to check flights at the height of the season (June-July), IAD-FCO (just as an example), economy was around $1500 per person. I'm assuming by "sardine" you meant economy!

I agree with others who put a per-day differential on the AQ decision. I do like AQ, but not if it's more than about $20 pp per day.

Count me as one who does not care for Blu, as a highlight of cruising for us is having a large dinner table with lots of new friends. Plus, I did not find the food to be all that extraordinary. Also, specifically on Reflection because of the new Aqua Suites, it has been reported here that Blu is overcrowded, staff is rushed, etc.

If it was me, I would book a standard veranda with possibly the larger angled hump balconies, and use the additional money to buy the Ultimate Dining Package, which allows you to dine in a specialty restaurant every night plus some additional perks.

I also would bet that airfares will drop significantly by next spring. Did you check matrix dot itasoftware dot com? This is NOT a travel agency, it just searches for the lowest airfare and then you book directly with the airline.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi, my family and I are recently back from a cruise in Aqua Class on Silhouette, we all visited the Persian garden at the start of our cruise but didn't go back; it was ok. The shower in our room was better than I had expected but I didn't use the jets after having tried them. I gather our room was identical to any other balcony room. We had a priority check in line but it was all so efficient it didn't matter and then there was Blu...... Would I book Aqua Class again? Oh yes yes! Yes!! Blu is the colour and what a wonderful element it was to our holiday!

Just my opinion, hope it helps. :)

Love Blu, always go aqua (unless it's a lot more). the other perks are okay, but Blu tips the scales for us. We're on the Summit next April, maybe $200 more, worth it for us. Hard to stand the noise in the MDR after being in BLu. Tried it 2 nights on 2 different cruises & went running back.

All of us (two middle aged couples and my mother in law) loved AQ on the Reflection this past Feb so much that we decided to rebook it again for 2014. The single biggest benefit is Blu, which we felt was like eating in a specialty restaurant every morning (GREAT breakfast) and night. Wonderful food and service. No problem being seated (never waited more than a few mins) and we did not feel crowded as some others have said. Would not consider booking anything but AQ in the future.

Many times you will find the AQ cabins to be relatively close to the same price as a standard balcony. It all depends on how sales are.

The price point that I put on the value is about $25/day pp for AQ over a balcony category that would give me a good location and that is pushing it to the limit.

The main features are the footstool on the balcony, Blu, the shower panel and the Persian Gardens on the S class. One of the best features is not having to fight the crowd in the buffet for breakfast. It is nice to sit down and be served instead of being a runner. Service is also better for breakfast than in the MDR.

On the M class it isn't with more than $10/day.

Why is Aqua class only worth $10 more on a M class to you. I believe Aqua and Concierge cabins are

actually bigger on M class then regular balcony's at 191 sq ft vs 171

Aren't the cabins the same size as regular balcony's on the Solstice class. I don't understand why you

would give a larger premium to Aqua on S class.

On Reflection, we liked Blu, the daily water bottles, and the shower but we didn't book Aqua this time so we could do more specialty restaurants. Although we weren't big fans of the layout of the tables for two, it was nice and we're glad we tried it but we're onto the next experience.

Why is Aqua class only worth $10 more on a M class to you. I believe Aqua and Concierge cabins are

actually bigger on M class then regular balcony's at 191 sq ft vs 171

Aren't the cabins the same size as regular balcony's on the Solstice class. I don't understand why you

would give a larger premium to Aqua on S class.

The reasons for M class being worth less is

The furniture on the balcony doesn't include a foot rest because the balconies are too small.

The Persian Gardens isn't worth anything as it is like a dungeon.

The glass shower doors leak like a sieve.

The only thing worth anything is Blu and we found that the MDR in select dining is actually quieter with more space between the tables.

I feel that they ruined the M class by adding the AQ class and the extra cabins on deck 11. Just my opinion and that is all it is worth and that is what the OP was requesting, opinions and value.

Edited by miched

Have just booked our 3rd AQ cruise. On S class ships cabins are the same size as balcony cabins. However this is what is a Plus for us-Blu dining with 60 of your closest friend as opposed to 1000+ people. Special requests in Blu are not a problem & are taken care of quickly. Our waiter seemed just more attentive. The cabin bathroom- toiletries are better-not great better but better. The shower is wonderful multi jets a spa like experience-great after a long day touring. Cabin location very good. If you cruise frequently the extra point for booking AQ gets you to Elite status quicker.

Watch for specials and check if your credit card company or TA can get a deal on AQ sometimes the $ difference is not that large

Carole

Are all the tables in Blu - tables for two? Is it true that even on formal night you can dress smart casual -no tie or jacket for the men?

Yes, there are a lot of tables for two, but they are very close together.

Blu is smart casual on formal nights, as are all the other specialty dining rooms. You will see a lot of people wearing formal wear, though.

Are all the tables in Blu - tables for two? Is it true that even on formal night you can dress smart casual -no tie or jacket for the men?

They're not all tables for two.

Edited by Big_G

Count me as one who does not care for Blu, as a highlight of cruising for us is having a large dinner table with lots of new friends. Plus, I did not find the food to be all that extraordinary. Also, specifically on Reflection because of the new Aqua Suites, it has been reported here that Blu is overcrowded, staff is rushed, etc.

If it was me, I would book a standard veranda with possibly the larger angled hump balconies, and use the additional money to buy the Ultimate Dining Package, which allows you to dine in a specialty restaurant every night plus some additional perks.

I also would bet that airfares will drop significantly by next spring. Did you check matrix dot itasoftware dot com? This is NOT a travel agency, it just searches for the lowest airfare and then you book directly with the airline.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you for the tip on the matrix dot itasoftware dot com site for flights! What a time saver! And fast. Best airline site I have found!

You are from Virginia and assuming you flew out of Dulles, I cannot imagine why your airfare would cost you $4200 to any airport in Europe. We fly to Europe two or three times a year and the most we have paid is $1400 pp.

Have you tried Kayak?

Our first cruise, our TA talked us into AQ and we loved Blu so much we could not try anything else. I keep thinking I will, but then we move up to Blu. The truth is that it is not just the food, which is wonderful, but the service and peacefulness of Blu. We like the heated tile lounges and the relaxation room in the spa, tho it is getting harder to find a place. We also like the showers and foot rests.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. We just booked AQ 2106 for 3/29 and are hoping for a laid-back, relaxing week. We actually look forward to the port days since it gives us peace and quiet on the ship.

Promise to post a fair review when we get back. Too bad March has to be 6 months from September but we can't do too much about that.

In answer to your question regarding Blu, the first few Celebrity AQ cruises we took we found it really worth it. We loved the small restaurant feel of blu vs. a huge banquet dining hall. However, we are now tired of the same old same old and now opt for a less expensive balcony cabin and take a dinner package and dine at 5 or more specialty restaurants every evening. If this is your first AQ experience you will enjoy Blu. In addition, sometimes the actual price of AQ is less then CC. Watch the prices as they tend to deviate from week to week.

You shouldn't be afraid of the Allure. They have mastered crowd control. At each elevator bank you can see an electronic sign that is not only a GPS, but also tells you the wait at each restaurant. You also can pre reserve all evening shows which is wonderful. So many choices! You should give it a try someday- read some of the threads of "satisfied" sailers!.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We just returned from a 10 day European cruise on the Reflection in August. Since it was our 40th Anniversary, we splurged and went Aqua Suite. It was worth it because of all the extras including daily butler service, the "coziness" of the Blue Restaurant, drinks and tips included and the overall quality of the staff compared to other cruise ships. I don't know if the other cabin classes got the same service we got because I've never done a Celebrity sailing before. I think the waiters are more laid back in that they don't hawk drinks like a lot of ships do, even though our drinks were covered. With all the promotions we got, I feel like we were sailing on one of the all inclusive ships like Crystal or Regency for a lot lower price. I also believe when you sail European you should expect a higher quality experience. As far as the Blue Rest. being crowded and busy, we didn't experience that. Everyone new our names and because you were sitting close to other couples, it was easier to strike up conversations if you wished.

We have been on the Allure twice before and it is a different feel. I loved the entertainment, but the food quality was lacking compared to the Reflection. The Allure is much more family oriented, with many programs for children of all ages. Because the Allure is a Caribbean ship, the ship has to offer more for the passenger. Every island starts to look a like after awhile when you're sailing the Caribbean multiple times.

Edited by memphocruiser
Information left out

The reasons for M class being worth less is

The furniture on the balcony doesn't include a foot rest because the balconies are too small.

The Persian Gardens isn't worth anything as it is like a dungeon.

The glass shower doors leak like a sieve.

The only thing worth anything is Blu and we found that the MDR in select dining is actually quieter with more space between the tables.

I feel that they ruined the M class by adding the AQ class and the extra cabins on deck 11. Just my opinion and that is all it is worth and that is what the OP was requesting, opinions and value.

I agree with your assessment. Except that we found select dining in the MDR to be just as noisy as the regular dining in the MDR.

The Persian Gardens was the most dismal thing I'd ever seen! Went for a tour and never went back. Nothing like the pictures on Celebrity's website.

Would not have tried AQ except that the price dropped to less than what we had originally paid for a regular balcony cabin.

• 2 months later...

We have sailed on the Solstice twice and booked Aqua class both times. The extra amenities were nice but Blu...ahh we do love Blu! That said, we are sailing on the Reflection next June for a 10 day Med cruise and also booked Aqua. Hope our experience is just as wonderful.