Travel agent.

marsworth75

We can't recommend agents but my recommendation is to ask friends who curse a lot for recommendations.

The advantage of a TA is not only the additional amenities they can provide but also the expertise and also if things go wrong they can be your advocate with the cruise line.

Keith

A good TA is truly a better value than the cruiseline for the same amount of money. Speaking from experience, standard protocol from a TA should be sending information to you about your ports, recommending excursions (private or through the cruiseline), tips for things to do on the ship, researching the ship and itinerary and knowing their client well enough to know if it is a good value for their vacation dollars. Sometimes there is an OBC offered sometimes not but MOST important is if there are issues with your cruise, you have someone in your corner ready to go to bat for you. We ran into this recently when I had clients sailing on the Celebrity Millennium that stayed in Ketchikan for a few days and then cancelled the cruise. Everything went fairly smooth until the cancel and transfer of passengers. Now the refunds are not what they originally promised. It definitely helps to have someone ready to fight for you. (The big online discount agencies generally don't)

Carnival and I think RCCL do not allow any TA to charge less than their price. So, for those lines TAs cannot give any discounts. Are there other lines doing this now?

Our old TA, who only did cruises, said she just couldn't give OBC, wine, etc. to all her clients because it would cost too much! Sometimes she'd lower her commission and pass that difference on to us- we used her a lot.

Unless you are booking cheap 3/4 night cruises which earn the TA very little comm. , he/she should be giving you "something" as a thank you for booking ,based on what you are spending.

Shop around for a TA that appreciates your business (and let your current TA know it so they wake up ).

Some CL's allow TA's to discount , Princess, Cunard , HAL come to mind.

Carnival and I think RCCL do not allow any TA to charge less than their price. So, for those lines TAs cannot give any discounts.

My TA advertised, and continues to advertise, at a lower price than Royal Caribbean did. I had a mocking booking done both through the TA and through Royal and TA was $500 less overall total. My TA then kicked in $100 OBC. So overall $600 lower than direct through Royal.

I asked Royal about my TA (big volume discounter) and was told they are recommended to deal with, so why pay more?

Archived