Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

Hi there. One tip that I've often seen suggested is to get a lanyard to hold the ship sea pass. I sort of like the idea...in particular I have seen a waterproof one that would hold the pass, some cash and an ID. This sounds like a great idea for beach excursions.

Oh, and I'll admit that I've seen those sparkly rhinestone lanyards on Amazon.com. Tempting if only because they just look fun.

Thoughts?

I used to use a lanyard, but it got a bit irritating! Now I have one of those spiral wrist bands with a hoop on it. It's out of my way, but still easily available. Most times, I keep it in my pocket, but if I am pocket-less, I use that.

And never on shore - it does make you more of a target!

On the ship I'll wear a lanyard when I don't have pockets (which is most of the time). Off the ship I'll generally have pockets and/or a handbag, so don't need it.

BTW, for people who keep a credit card out to use on the safe, I generally carry expired loyalty cards with me that works fine in most hotels - haven't tried it on an RCI safe yet.

... and the local islander with bad intentions thinks to himself.." Hmmm, what do we have here...middle aged sunburned couple in the worlds ugliest tropical print shirts, carrying excessive number of t-shirt filled bags, taking pictures of rocks and trees, thinking they look good sipping a blue drink while a paper umbrella jabs at their nose. Could they be tourists? I'm not really sure.... Ohhhh, hey mon, I SEE A LANYARD!!!! NOW I KNOW FOR SURE!!

This happened to us on our first cruise when we were newbies. This is precisely why we don't wear them.

Geez, now I don't know what to do....I bought a nice pink rhinestone lanyard for my friend's mom who will be cruising with us next week. (She likes Bling we like her). I would just hate to give her a present that may be cause for ridicule. Guess its a good thing I got lanyards for the group!

And now I have another dilemma...how will our group of seven be able to walk around ports and not look like tourists....cause if a tiny lanyard isn't a giveaway that camera of mine will be screaming TOURIST!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've considered it, but I've bought a handy cover for my smartphone with a couple of card slots on the inside of the cover. I find it a lot handier. I carry it together with a card with some money on it, together with my ID, shipcard and a small amount of cash. Very handy little thing.

And now I have another dilemma...how will our group of seven be able to walk around ports and not look like tourists....cause if a tiny lanyard isn't a giveaway that camera of mine will be screaming TOURIST!

The lanyard or the camera won't matter - it will be more about your body language and your clothing. But don't be afraid to look like a tourist - it's not the end of the world - and to look like a local you won't be able to do all the things you want to do, LOL.

The lanyard or the camera won't matter - it will be more about your body language and your clothing. But don't be afraid to look like a tourist - it's not the end of the world - and to look like a local you won't be able to do all the things you want to do, LOL.

Agree ^

It's okay to be & look like a tourist in most cases.

That said there are some times/places you don't want to look/feel out of place. It's my understanding that when you go to a public beach those with cruise ship identifiers (cruise towels and lanyards) get hounded more from the people trying to sell you stuff.

Sure - you're going to look like a tourist, I guess the key is don't look out of place. The real objective is to be yourself and like and wear what you want as much as possible unless it poses a risk to your safety.

I will wear my lanyard proudly(I look at it as a FUN accessory) on the ship only of course. One thing about looking like a tourist...ITS OBVIOUS no matter what you do..and guess what its OK. I am usually a land vaca'er and have spent many days in many different countries. And when the ship rolls into port its quite noticable, so if you think the locals dont know that you are a tourist, your only kidding yourself, just be aware of your surroundings and have a BLAST.

Never have used a lanyard and never will. I think they look dorky and the ones picked out in rhinestones look even worse. Those are my thoughts but they're probably not what you wanted to hear.

lol.

Agreed, except if someone forced me to wear a lanyard, i'd get ones with rhinestones. If you're gonna wear tacky, it may as well have bling! :D

... and the local islander with bad intentions thinks to himself.." Hmmm, what do we have here...middle aged sunburned couple in the worlds ugliest tropical print shirts, carrying excessive number of t-shirt filled bags, taking pictures of rocks and trees, thinking they look good sipping a blue drink while a paper umbrella jabs at their nose. Could they be tourists? I'm not really sure.... Ohhhh, hey mon, I SEE A LANYARD!!!! NOW I KNOW FOR SURE!!

baahaahaaa, now that's funny

I'm going on my first cruise in January. I thought a lot about it, and did buy a lanyard and a clear plastic vertical "badge" holder that it attaches to for both my hubby and myself. I think they will be useful when we're on the ship. When we're in port, I plan to throw the lanyard/card in my small backpack. It will be easier to dig out that way when we get back to the ship. But yea, I think it would look a little geeky to wear it around my neck in port. :) But lanyard or not, locals will spot most of the tourists a mile away, in my opinion.

Lanyards remind me of work. I had to wear one for years and never could wear my necklaces because they kept getting tangled with the darn thing.

On my last two cruises you had to put the key card in a slot for the power to stay on so you couldn't just leave it in a holder on the lanyard anyway.

You shouldn't be leaving your key card in the key card holder because why light your cabin when you are not in it? that's the whole idea. You are supposed to take it with you.:rolleyes:

I'm going on my first cruise in January. I thought a lot about it, and did buy a lanyard and a clear plastic vertical "badge" holder that it attaches to for both my hubby and myself. I think they will be useful when we're on the ship. When we're in port, I plan to throw the lanyard/card in my small backpack. It will be easier to dig out that way when we get back to the ship. But yea, I think it would look a little geeky to wear it around my neck in port. :) But lanyard or not, locals will spot most of the tourists a mile away, in my opinion.

You're "spotted" only if you make yourself appear like you don't know where you're going:)

This thread started out as a serious question, but I just laughed my butt off reading all the replies!

The reason I asked in the first place is that, while I've gotten better over the years, I still misplace things. I'd probably keep my lanyard under my shirt or jacket. Heck, I might just put a big "Hi, My Name Is..." on it. I don't mind if somebody thinks I'm a noobie...I will be! I've pretended I've known what I was doing for years...long enough to know that it's exhausting.

Gosh, In a few minutes I've gone from being embarrassed for asking about lanyards...to deciding that I'm going to have a wardrobe of them. A black rhinestone one for formal night (with my black suit), maybe a blue rhinestone (or orange to match my bathing suit) one for by the pool...and that waterproof thing for the excursions.

Oh, and if somebody has the GUTS to snatch that from my neck...God help them. I'm 6' 2" and one darn fast running muscle bear.:eek:

If you want a rhinestoned lanyard then go for it!

As for looking like a tourist in port, well I am Asian, and I hardly would think anyone would think of me anything but a tourist in a Caribbean port! I would assume same goes for anyone that's White, etc in those ports.

You shouldn't be leaving your key card in the key card holder because why light your cabin when you are not in it? that's the whole idea. You are supposed to take it with you.:rolleyes:

I meant that if you put your key card in a holder on your lanyard, you would have to take it out when you entered your room to put in the power slot.

Totally doing the lanyard thing! I have a super sparkly Carolina Hurricanes lanyard, my husband has a non-sparkly (of course lol) Hurricanes one and my son has a super heroes one. We'll have to get a cool one for my niece, who is going with us. I think they are awesome because I don't have to carry my purse on the ship, and particularly helpful when I don't have pockets.

I guess I'm not alone in my lanyard use...I was feeling a little put off by folks who sort of made fun of them. I just got a waterproof one for the pool (so I can keep some cash on me for tipping and such) or for on excursions to the beach.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Forums mobile app

That's just fine if you'd feel like a dork. I've been called worse and lived to tell. Heck, you might embrace being a dork.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Forums mobile app

I made DH a dork with a lanyard and now he loves it and I love my dork.

I think for some it has to do with age. You know needing to be cool, or "hot". We are past that...it's so liberating!

I will add I think guys and girls rocking horned rimmed glass are "cool".

Edited by JustCruiseMe

While many people like and use lanyards, the use of same is not in my genes. My cruise card is in a leather card case and firmly in my pocket. I find the show of cruise cards a form of bragging with some people...I have to giggle while in a conversation with you they make a point of turning their cards around to ensure that you know what level they are in the line's loyalty program.:rolleyes:

I left my room card in a pants pocket on my first cruise and it took a while to get a replacement. Now I never leave my room without my lanyard around my neck. It stays on the nightstand while I am sleeping.

I have added a small LED light to my lanyard that has come in handy on many occasions looking under furniture for dropped cuff links, collar stays, and reading menus in reduced lighting.