Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

For those that do wear one make sure it is a breakaway and not solid. Years ago I saw a child get hooked up on a stair rail and could have choked if it were not for a quick adult. I have also seen an idiot at work get his security pass caught in the paper shredder. Thankfully he had a breakaway on because the whole issue disappeared into the machine without a hicup.

So I once met this lady that carried her car keys, drivers license, credit cards, cash, coins, house keys, make-up, etc all around her very attractive neck in a large lanyard. We recently saw her coming out of a well-known Chiropractor's Office where we heard she had to have her neck cracked back into place.

When we were children going to sleep-away camp we had to carry a card around our necks on a lanyard (along with a whistle). What we see on cruise ships is just simple regression back to child hood. And what is even more amusing is when we see these regressed adults walking down a street in Europe with their lanyards (and cruise card) hanging out there for all the pick-pockets to see.....as these regressed adults silently "cry out" "Look at me, I am on a cruise ship and the perfect target!"

Hank

P.S. Do you think Jay Leno or his successor could do a routine based on those lanyards?

So I once met this lady that carried her car keys, drivers license, credit cards, cash, coins, house keys, make-up, etc all around her very attractive neck in a large lanyard. We recently saw her coming out of a well-known Chiropractor's Office where we heard she had to have her neck cracked back into place.

When we were children going to sleep-away camp we had to carry a card around our necks on a lanyard (along with a whistle). What we see on cruise ships is just simple regression back to child hood. And what is even more amusing is when we see these regressed adults walking down a street in Europe with their lanyards (and cruise card) hanging out there for all the pick-pockets to see.....as these regressed adults silently "cry out" "Look at me, I am on a cruise ship and the perfect target!"

Hank

P.S. Do you think Jay Leno or his successor could do a routine based on those lanyards?

I only wear my lanyard while on the ship not in port.

Probably 99% of the passengers look like tourists with or without a lanyard.

Probably 99% of the passengers look like tourists with or without a lanyard.

Exactly; if anyone thinks that not wearing a lanyard makes them less of a target for thieves or charlatans, they're kidding themselves. My advice is to stop worrying about looking like a tourist, since you are a tourist; instead, concentrate on acting like a interested and interesting person with an open mind and heart, since those types of people are welcome everywhere.

I would take the lanyard and see if you like using it.

I only used it when I was on the ship wearing something without pockets. It was great when I was at a poolside bar in a sundress. If DH had pockets then I had him hold it.

I wouldn`t spend much $ on one in case you don`t use it. Also I liked the kind that had the plastic pouch that you put the card in, you have to give the card to the bartender, so taking off the lanyard would be a pain each time. - especially if you order drinks a lot :)

I just got back from my first cruise. I took a rope-type lanyard in my favorite color, that was attached to a vertical card holder in clear plastic. I slipped my sea pass into the holder and it was so convenient. I wore my lanyard when on the ship and when getting on and off at ports. You need it handy to present, so if you're also carrying a beach bag, drinks, towels etc, you don't want to be fumbling for it in a bag somewhere. When we got off the ship at ports, I just took off my lanyard and put it in my bag.

I brought a black lanyard for dh, but he just couldn't do it. He was content to keep his seapass in the provided card holder in his pocket.

I have found this thread quite amusing. I don't wear and won't wear a lanyard only because it would drive me nuts. I have a retractable hook on my beltloop that I use for work ids and have also used one on cruises. With the plastic holder attached, it works great.

I can honestly say I've never put much thought into what people look like when they DO wear one.

And I'm from Orlando...I can spot a tourist 5 miles away...it's just nice to know that I'm one this time.

I will roll my eyes at those that feel they have to advertise how many cruises they've been on tho. I find that sadly amusing.

Wear what you want cuz I can tell you that nobody really cares.

And will (most likely) never see again. I now have a "cruise wardrobe" and take the same clothes on each cruise!!! Makes it EASY!

You will be lucky if you never see again anyone who is so shallow they care whether someone has a lanyard or not.

We wear lanyards and I don't care what others think of me. It is very handy and I always know just where my card is. As in # 166, I wear the same cruise clothes more than once also. I do take the lanyard off when going off the ship though.

Never have used a lanyard and never will. I think they look dorky and the ones picked out in rhinestones look even worse. Those are my thoughts but they're probably not what you wanted to hear.

I agree 110%. Not only are they inconvenient, because you still have to take them out of the lanyard so they can be scanned -- at the bars/lounges -- but they can easily be misplaced. Just keep it in your wallet.

I agree 110%. Not only are they inconvenient, because you still have to take them out of the lanyard so they can be scanned -- at the bars/lounges -- but they can easily be misplaced. Just keep it in your wallet.

Why do you have to take the card out of the lanyard? We put ours on the lanyard when we board and never take it out of it. It can be scanned as is when we are boarding, getting off the ship or making any purchase.

The hubs and I took lanyards on our first cruise and they had a problem scanning them so they kept asking us to take them out. Very annoying really.

Like some previous posters, I live in Orlando and recommend the to people visiting the parks (great for express , but for some reason I found them to be very inconvinient once it was ny turn to use them.

--

sent via cc app for android.

Edited by mochaandhearts

I can't believe that we are still even having this discussion. Some people like lanyards. Some people LOVE lanyards. Some people would never use lanyards. I think there is now enough information here for everyone to make up their own minds....imho. See you onboard. I'll be one of the dorky ones wearing a lanyard as I HATE carrying a wallet.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't wear a lanyard because I think they look dorky. But I also don't carry a wallet cuz that's annoying too. I just let my hubby carry my card... in his lanyard. :)

Seriously, I probably will get a cutesy lanyard for this coming trip so I don't have to keep him by my side every minute and if I carry my card in my hand/pocket, I'll inevitably lose my card. To each his own.