Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

While many people like and use lanyards, the use of same is not in my genes. My cruise card is in a leather card case and firmly in my pocket. I find the show of cruise cards a form of bragging with some people...I have to giggle while in a conversation with you they make a point of turning their cards around to ensure that you know what level they are in the line's loyalty program.:rolleyes:

That's funny - I fidget with my work ID on a lanyard when I'm bored while talking to someone or in a meeting that is making me crazy. Maybe the fidgeting is less about their bragging than....fidgeting.

OP - I'll be wearing one - Hopefully I can get an Alabama Roll Tide one with bling!! I don't wear things with pockets unless its jeans, I don't like anything hanging off my wrist [reminds me of hospital wards] and I'm not going to carry a purse - cause I'd probably drop it over the rail. I could always tuck it all in my bra - but then I"d sure be fidgeting and someone might think I was trying to show off the boobage!!:eek:

I'm not twelve years old, so I don't wear a lanyard. I only buy shorts and cover- ups that have pockets, So I always have a place to carry my ship ID.

As for looking like a tourist in a lanyard, come on, folks. Whether you're wearing a lanyard or not, the locals know you're from the ship. Many of the people who live nears ports make their living from tourists and are very in tune with when the ships are in port -- if not, they can look and see the ship. Next, your clothing, shoes, and activities mark you as a tourist.

I always wear a lanyard and being on a cruise is the only time I just don't care about having my wallet.

I see a lot of mentions about waterproof pouches for the lanyards. Can the sea pass /card you have for the ship not get wet?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's quite unlikly to get a card with a magnetic strip.

The current cards are of the RF ID type and are unaffected by minor magnetic fields.

I had to get my card replaced on my cruise last year after tucking it inside my kindle case (with a magnetic closure).

• 3 weeks later...

i read this whole 10 pages and laffed and laffed and laffed some more.

the lantern idea was adorable, i understand people who have to wear them every day not wanting to wear them.

i am a lanyard wearer, so are my kids. but my grandkids who havent sailed yet play pretend cruisers with our old ones and they all have teethed on them at some point or another so when i wear mine i did it out of the toy box for my next sail, when i get home back in the pile it will go. although they are mostly girls and no longer teething sooooooooo maybe i should invest in some blinging ones cuz they are girly girls.

thanks for the ideas :)

ps. i have this tiny coleman lantern i got prolly at some boy scout camping adventure, im putting it on dd's lanyard for the upcoming mother daugter cruise

Edited by jaxkai
i wasnt thru with my posting

We do lanyards. After many cruises where we didn't use the lanyards, we have found it works for us. It's just a matter of convenience and I could care less if someone thinks it labels me as a "newbie" or it's considered "nerdy." I'm really not concerned with impressing other passengers by constantly telling them my status (Diamond) or worrying about the possibility of any negative labels.

In big U.S. convention cities, it always elicits a locals chuckle when you see a conventioneer who forgot to remove his/her name tag pin on or lanyard. It basically ends up being a sign that says to vendors et al.: "take advantage of me."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was just at Michael's craft store and saw all sorts of cool lanyards for $5. I think I'll pick some out for our cruise. Next time they have a big sale. With twin 12 yr old boys, I'll need them to wear their cards so they don't get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like the personal opinions that say "I don't like them" so then that makes YOU look like a dork, or newbie etc. Do what is easiest for you. I plan on using a lanyard for mine, and i just keep it tucked in my shirt unless using it. To each their own.

michael

as usual MY 02

Since we have the drink package I feel like I need them for my kids. They picked Nike ones and all the kids at the high school I work at all have them, so I hope it will be ok for them. But they dont always have pockets and I want them to have easy access to them.

I've seen people wearing them on my last few cruises. I couldn't tell if they were newbies. They looked like they were having a good time. I did not think any less of them for wearing lanyards. I was happy to see that they were as thrilled to be cruising as I was. I don't personally wear one because I don't like the feel of it, but it seems practical and if it works for some then why not?

I'm thinking lanyards will work for us and the kids. I've never purchased one before, however. Do they come with the little plastic holder into which you just slip your card? Or does the cruise line punch a hole in your card so you can attach it, key ring style?

Thanks!

I'm thinking lanyards will work for us and the kids. I've never purchased one before, however. Do they come with the little plastic holder into which you just slip your card? Or does the cruise line punch a hole in your card so you can attach it, key ring style?

The lanyards onboard come with the plastic holder, but in my opinion, they are expensive. You might find something reasonable and appropriate at the dollar store. And yes, you can get a hole punched for you, no problem, if you decide to just go that route without the plastic holder. :)

Thanks!

You can get a hole punched in it -- that's how I attached mine to a bracelet, rather than wear it around my neck.

The lanyards onboard come with the plastic holder, but in my opinion, they are expensive. You might find something reasonable and appropriate at the dollar store. And yes, you can get a hole punched for you, no problem, if you decide to just go that route without the plastic holder. :)

Don't know if in this long thread anyone has mentioned it, but if you have been to any event where you get a badge or pass of some sort on a lanyard, you can reuse it for your trip. they are usually pretty generic size wise.

We seem to always have them hanging around from concerts and conferences and such.

For me? In my pocket please ; -)

We've used lanyards for our key cards on most cruises, though we'd drop them under our shirts for appearance sake. I'd absolutely recommend them for kids, so they don't get misplaced.

They are quite handy when on a cruise line that charges you for something every ten minutes. I bought a really good one here in the Cruise Critic Store that has the detachable clip so you don't have to hand the waiter your entire lanyard over your head.

However, our last sea cruise was on Regent Seven Seas. They looked at us funny when we asked at the desk about getting the card punched for our lanyard (they don't do it). We ended up not needing them, nor did we see anybody else using a lanyard (a fashion "don't"), because we never had to pay for drinks, restaurant up-charges, cafe lattes and cappuccinos, etc. at every turn. Nice........ I did, however, miss the security of knowing I wouldn't lose the key card, especially on shore.

However, our last sea cruise was on Regent Seven Seas. They looked at us funny when we asked at the desk about getting the card punched for our lanyard (they don't do it). We ended up not needing them, nor did we see anybody else using a lanyard (a fashion "don't"), because we never had to pay for drinks, restaurant up-charges, cafe lattes and cappuccinos, etc. at every turn. Nice........ I did, however, miss the security of knowing I wouldn't lose the key card, especially on shore.

I get it -- even on Crystal where virtually everything is included, I still wanted my card punched and attached to my bracelet because I still needed to carry it with me (since it was my cabin key).