Passport rule

cruisinmeme

i have seen questions in the past about cruising within 6 months of passport expiring. I didn't take notes on it, as I was getting there yet. Well now I am and with cruising 2-3 times per year I need to get the ball rolling.

Is it just "talk" or is it fact you need to renew 6 months prior to sailing. I have scanned passport info and don't find that subject, so where is it written in stone?

Any help on this matter would come in handy.

I just googled "passport expiring in 6 months" and found info that indeed, some countries require your passport to be valid for either 6 months after your scheduled departure date OR date of entry into their country. Full info can be found on the US State Dept website where you can find a list of requirements by country. It was noted that turn around is faster on renewal requests in Sept and Dec. Usually takes about 6 weeks unless expedited for an additional $60, then 2 weeks.

i have seen questions in the past about cruising within 6 months of passport expiring. I didn't take notes on it, as I was getting there yet. Well now I am and with cruising 2-3 times per year I need to get the ball rolling.

Is it just "talk" or is it fact you need to renew 6 months prior to sailing. I have scanned passport info and don't find that subject, so where is it written in stone?

Some counties require that your passport be valid for 6 months after you leave to ensure that you don't get stranded in their country. I know of no country in the Caribbean with such a requirement.

I just googled "passport expiring in 6 months" and found info that indeed, some countries require your passport to be valid for either 6 months after your scheduled departure date OR date of entry into their country. Full info can be found on the US State Dept website where you can find a list of requirements by country. It was noted that turn around is faster on renewal requests in Sept and Dec. Usually takes about 6 weeks unless expedited for an additional $60, then 2 weeks.

Do note though that the State Department website typically lists the requirement for someone visiting by air first and if there is an exception for cruise travel it is at the end of the article (if it is listed at all).

I think it depends on where you are going if you have to have a newer passport

I just renewed mine and it took only two weeks

BTW Be careful not to pay $140 if you don't want the passport book and the passport card.

Stupid me wasted $30 bucks and got the card as well.

Luckily the government is honest since I paid the fee but didn't request the card

they sent it anyway.

here is the explanation and the link to countries requiring renewal before 6 months

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/can-you-travel-out-of-the-country-on-a-soon-to-expire-passport.html

This is not an official site of any government agency. It's the website of a passport expediting service. The information provided may not be accurate.

For your Information A passport is only good for 9 years and 6 months. The only exceptance is if your have left a country on the 7th month before it expires and return directly to your home county (Country of Passport) before the expiration date. I don't know why they tell you its good for 10 years when it clearly isn't.

For your Information A passport is only good for 9 years and 6 months. The only exceptance is if your have left a country on the 7th month before it expires and return directly to your home county (Country of Passport) before the expiration date. I don't know why they tell you its good for 10 years when it clearly isn't.

Nope, they are good for 10 years. I could use mine to cross the border into Canada right up until the day of expiration (if I had one). Could also use it for cruising in the Western Hemisphere until day of expiration also.

My son used his to go to Canada a few weeks before it expired.

Well one reason not to renew too early is so you get as much of the 10 years out of it. But you have to weigh potential travel plans and renewal time.

Too bad they don't just tack on the time at the end of the current expiration.

For example, mine expires 12/30/2019. If I get the ball rolling on renewing, in let's say July 2019, they ought to make the new one good until 12/30/2019. Adding the 10 years onto what I already had.

If you live in the USA you will need a passport to get back into the USA. I don't believe you need the passport to get into another country. I know that I didn't need one to enter the Caribbean islands. Also I leave on my cruise in a month and had to renew passport. It only took about 3 weeks. Just got it recently.

Not quite true. It depends on where on goes. It totally depends on the requirements of where one goes as the PP must be good after those requirements before visa is needed. And, of course, one could do Canada one day shy from Canada.

Where do some get their info? Oh, BonJour

I just had my passport renewed without having it expedited and it was in my hands in two weeks. I did send it priority mail. However, if it was necessary to have it fast, I wouldn't take the chance because there are no guarantees.

If you live in the USA you will need a passport to get back into the USA. I don't believe you need the passport to get into another country. I know that I didn't need one to enter the Caribbean islands. Also I leave on my cruise in a month and had to renew passport. It only took about 3 weeks. Just got it recently.

Just because you didn't need a passport for the Caribbean doesn't mean you don't need to enter other countries. You most certainly do need one to enter most countries. The Caribbean countries make an exception for cruise passengers who are US citizens on closed loop cruises.

Archived