On My Bucket List

swcruise

It has always been a dream of mine to visit the fjords in Norway and am planning this for 2014. We have it down to 3 by RCI, would be interested in the views of fellow cc'sers on this board on the +ve's and -ve's of these.

Legend of the Seas

Copenhagen, Denmark; Flåm, Norway; Geiranger, Norway; Alesund, Norway; Bergen, Norway; Copenhagen, Denmark

Independence of the Seas

Southampton, England; Skjolden, Norway; Flåm, Norway; Olden, Norway; Alesund, Norway; Stavanger, Norway; Southampton, England

Adventure of the Seas

Southampton, England; Kristiansand, Norway; Alesund, Norway; Flåm, Norway; Stavanger, Norway; Southampton, England

Thanks for you inputs

It has always been a dream of mine to visit the fjords in Norway and am planning this for 2014. We have it down to 3 by RCI, would be interested in the views of fellow cc'sers on this board on the +ve's and -ve's of these.

Legend of the Seas

Copenhagen, Denmark; Flåm, Norway; Geiranger, Norway; Alesund, Norway; Bergen, Norway; Copenhagen, Denmark

Independence of the Seas

Southampton, England; Skjolden, Norway; Flåm, Norway; Olden, Norway; Alesund, Norway; Stavanger, Norway; Southampton, England

Adventure of the Seas

Southampton, England; Kristiansand, Norway; Alesund, Norway; Flåm, Norway; Stavanger, Norway; Southampton, England

Personally, I would go for the second option for the scenery.

I like the sound of number 1- Gereinger is a world heritage site, and Bergen and Copenhagen are both really nice, interesting destinations with plenty to do. Aalesund is a lovely, unspoilt town and you've got Flam as well!

Personally I wasn't overwhelmed by Flam when we went in July this year. Probably because it seemed swamped by cruise passengers!

kate

Hi, I am from the west coast of Norway.

I would choose number 1, simply because of Geiranger. I have not been there myself, but I know many people who have, and they say that the Geiranger fjord is very very very beautiful :) This is a place I now I am going to travel to some time! Definetly!

And also because of Bergen. Bergen is a beautiful city :) I have been there many times over the years, this year I have spent about 10 nights there;)

I have also heard many people say that Ålesund is nice, I've never been there either.

I have no knowledge what so ever about the ships, so my answer is just based on the stops.

Also; Kristiansand does not have any fjords I think ;) Stavanger has, but I am not sure where the boat will stop, you might need an excursion to see the fjords from there.

I would also vote for #1 because of Geirangerfjord and Bergen.

Geirangerfjord is considered one of the most beautiful fjords in the country, and it's one of the two that are UNESCO heritage sites (the other is Nærøyfjord which is near Flåm, but isn't on most traditional cruise sailings because it's too narrow). I've done the sail-in and sail-out of Geirangerfjord twice now, and it's still impressive.

Bergen is a wonderful little city for a port day with lots of charm and plenty of things to do in the town center.

Flåm is nice, but the fjord scenery in Geiranger is much better in my opinion. If you're a train buff, that's a selling point that may be worth considering. However, if you're a huge train buff, it's worth doing the Norway in a Nutshell trip (separate from a fjord cruise) since the Oslo-Myrdal train ride is often listed as one of the world's most scenic.

I would also choose option number 1 as Geiranger is one of the most beautiful places we have ever visited. We cruised into the fjord with the ship, but we also did a cruise when we were in port - this was the highlight of an absolutely fabulous holiday (we did a 14 night cruise and went up to the Arctic Circle). We also loved Bergen. Copenhagan is a beautiful city, so it would be a great start and end point.

Definitely number 1!

I would also vote for #1 because of Geirangerfjord and Bergen. Geirangerfjord is considered one of the most beautiful fjords in the country, and it's one of the two that are UNESCO heritage sites (the other is Nærøyfjord which is near Flåm, but isn't on most traditional cruise sailings because it's too narrow). I've done the sail-in and sail-out of Geirangerfjord twice now, and it's still impressive. Bergen is a wonderful little city for a port day with lots of charm and plenty of things to do in the town center. Flåm is nice, but the fjord scenery in Geiranger is much better in my opinion. If you're a train buff, that's a selling point that may be worth considering. However, if you're a huge train buff, it's worth doing the Norway in a Nutshell trip (separate from a fjord cruise) since the Oslo-Myrdal train ride is often listed as one of the world's most scenic.

As noted by others, all three options can work well. BUT, I think Meg, as quoted above, summarizes things so super well. Options two and three do not allow the stop in Bergen and Geiranger. Loved both of these super stars!!! Plus, option one gives you Copenhagen that is so full full of charm, interesting architecture, great history, canals, etc. Below are some of my photo examples as "evidence" to our viewpoint for Bergen and Geiranger. Much more on my live/blog connected below.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen. Here is the link to this rail option:

http://www.floibanen.com

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 118,400 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

From higher, here’s a view of the Fish Market area and other buildings in the main part of Bergen.

BergenFishMarkTown.jpg

Where do you shop in Norway? Here is an example in Bergen in looking for woolen items in the charming area right near the Fish Market. As you can tell by the friendly smile, our friend, Sharon, was enjoying herself. :

BergenSharonHatTesting.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

I like option #1 for both Flam and Geiranger, and for the smaller ship. Legend will have the least amount of bells and whistles, but I think the other two ships are too big to be unloading such large numbers of passengers in small ports.

From looking at RCI's Norway cruises in 2014, I think these are all in May - correct? I was on a Norway cruise from June 9-21, 2012, and when we visited Geiranger, the road to Mt. Dalsnibba had just opened. From Alesund I did the Path of the Trolls ship tour (wonderful), and I suspect that might not be available in May due to ice and/or snow on the roads.

Thanks all for your views and comments, much appracited. Now we just have to make up our minds...

To help you make up your mind, feel free to ask any added questions, tell us more on your background, interests, past travel experiences, most "loves" in doing such adventures, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 118,614 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Legend of the Seas

Independence of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas

Thanks for you inputs

You should go with the first option - The Legend of the seas.

First, the 2 other ships are to large and will provide you with an unpersonal experience.

The Legend has glass "all over" so you will not miss any of the spectacular scenery. The ship is also smaller making a more personal and up close experience.

If you choose the Adventure or Independence their Royal Promenade will take you away from the scenery outside.

IMO I think the Voyager/Freedom class ships are to large for the fjords.

If you visit the Fjords it is a MUST to cruise the amazing Geiranger fjord. Also called the most beautiful fjord in the world.

The 2 other itineraries visits cities (Stavanger, Kristiansand) which has nothing to do with fjords.

It looks like you have gotten many sound advices about the first itinerary.

I live in Ålesund....we have a place in Geiranger.....If you need ANY advice about what to do in port. Tour ideas etc. Please let me know

I would like to know what you choose:)

Hello All,

Thank you for your replies. My heart is with option 1, the others have decided on nbr 2 for the following reasons. They haven't been to the UK in years and will combine a trip to London at the end. We have sailed on all clsses of RCI except this Freedom class and love the Vision and Radiance as gives a great sense of looking out on the sea.Last year we sailed from Copenhagen to the Baltics on Vision and loved it and this year extened Med on Radiance class Serenade. One of the reasons for nbr2 as well is that the weather is unpredictable esp at this time of year so want to combine the scenery with the ship as well in case mother nature isn't kind.. I will have to get my head in to 'chillax mode' on a larger popultaion on board and what that may mean....

If we enjoy which I expect we will then hopefully if there is an itinerary for Geiranger, Bergen and Oslo for 2015 will look to extend our Norwegian experience.

For the ports although excursions not yet posted considering the following :

Skjolden, scenic excursion RCI

Flåm, railway RCI, know that the charges are very high, but have read on the boards that the trains can get sold out and don't want to miss out on this experience

Olden, DIY

Alesund, DIY

Stavanger Have read about on this site about a boat trip to pulpit rock ( bookable via online website) which we are considering. Any way to know if the ship will sail in past this in the 1st instance ?

@Icruiser : Any tips on Alesund most appreciated, should I contct the local tourist office as well ? also any advice on any of the other ports and things I should consider would be most appreciated

Tks a mill

We did a Norway cruise in June 2011 and had very changeable weather. In Bergen we had torrential rain and wind, which to a certain extent spoilt our day there. In Olden we had hot, bright sunshine and in the rest of the ports it was OK.

We travelled on a Fred Olsen cruise from Dover. Although they originate in the UK they are a Norwegian company. We like FO because the ships are small.

We didn't do any ship's excursions in Norway as it is very easy to arrange yourself. We were the only ship docked in Flam, so booked a train just after the excursion had left. Only two people in front of us at the station. You can check if there are any other ships in port by looking up the port authority website.

The scenery is obviously the fjords and you are cruising through them.

@Icruiser : Any tips on Alesund most appreciated, should I contct the local tourist office as well ? also any advice on any of the other ports and things I should consider would be most appreciated

Tks a mill

Depending on how much time you have in Ålesund. Would you want to only do the town or would you want to rent a car and maybe drive to Geiranger or even the Path of the Trolls.???

Which month are you cruising??? Tourist roads might even be closed until first or second week in June.....

There is a really good thread called "Ålesund some advice please" - You will also find lots of info there.

We just returned from a cruise in Norway. We would suggest option # 1. The port in Copenhagen is much closer to the city than London is to Southampton. The cost on LOS is lower and you will need extra money in Norway - it's expensive ! We liked visiting the city and Bergen is only on LOS. In Alesund we went with some new friends who rented a car and drove to Trollstigen - it was great.

The view of Alesund.

IMG_4611-001_zps594da11e.jpg

We stopped by this lake in the clouds.

IMG_4830-001_zps0e1a8578.jpg

Here is a motor home on Trollstigen (The troll's path). The troll's path has 11 hair pin turns.

IMG_4903-001_zpsdac0bec4.jpg?t=1380527817

The fish market in Bergen

IMG_5195-001_zps554ea099.jpg

Sail away from Bergen

IMG_5297-001_zps7f4d3016.jpg

Archived