Are we CRAZY to book this flight?

HEINER

Our miles are on United we have a cruise booked for next year on the Royal. We are going to Berlin Germany first for five days.

We can book first class on this flight with our miles.

LAX to SFO (San Francisco) change planes 1:20 min.

SFO to FRA (Frankfurt) Change planes. 1:45 min.

FRA to TXL. (Berlin)

Are we crazy to book a plane that we need to change planes three times? We have changed planes many times twice but never three times.

We have also thought about flying to San Francisco a day earlier on our own where we would be able to book many different flights that we only change planes twice. And that has better times.

Thanks for any information you can give us.

Betty

Our miles are on United we have a cruise booked for next year on the Royal. We are going to Berlin Germany first for five days.

FRA to TXL. (Berlin)

Are we crazy to book a plane that we need to change planes three times? We have changed planes many times twice but never three times.

We have also thought about flying to San Francisco a day earlier on our own where we would be able to book many different flights that we only change planes twice. And that has better times.

Betty

You're changing planes two times, not three, and the route/timing is completely doable.

yup. Two changes. Are you using UA miles to fly on UA or StarAlliance partners?

If you want to lose a change, you could try to find a routing on UA ex-LAX that goes non-stop to a major city in Europe, then connect on to Berlin. Like maybe LAX-LHR-TXL using a combo of UA and LH?

I am not really familiar with where UA flies to in Europe from LAX non-stop.

My most convoluted award ticket was Seychelles to Nairobi to Amsterdam to Houston to San Francisco to Seattle. Five flights, four airlines. But it was a way to get two low level business class tickets.

LAX to TXL in only three segments for award seats up front. That would be a good score for most people.

Of course, a chartered Gulfstream 5 or 550 would probably get you there non-stop....;)

Betty, I think this is fine. Just two comments:

Can you see if you can get a flight from LAX to SFO that will get you to SFO earlier. You just never know if there will be delays with the first flight. Just call UA and see if that is doable.

Second, I hope you are flying in a day ore more before your cruise just in case something goes wrong with any of the flights.

Keith

Betty -

I have to travel to Europe frequently for work, and because of where I live I almost always have 3 flights, sometimes 4, to get to the final destination. Being in FIrst Class will also be a plus for you.

So NO - I don't think you are crazy to do it! And, looks like you would have 5 days for your luggage to catch you in Germany if necessary.

Karen

If you are saying in your description you have a 25 minute connection time at SFO, that is crazy tight. Definitely change that LAX-SFO flight. You will want time to enjoy the International First Class lounge.

Of, if possible, as mentioned, get a flight LAX to Europe.

FRA to TXL. (Berlin)

Betty

Having recently flown through SFO from Ontario, CA, I will offer this. Transfers between terminals at SFO are done via small shuttle buses out on the Tarmac. It's not a particularly fast process. I would try for a bigger layover in SFO if possible. The airport in SF has some great places to eat too, all satellites of San Francisco eateries.

Betty, I think this is fine. Just two comments:

Can you see if you can get a flight from LAX to SFO that will get you to SFO earlier. You just never know if there will be delays with the first flight. Just call UA and see if that is doable.

Second, I hope you are flying in a day ore more before your cruise just in case something goes wrong with any of the flights.

Keith

Keith,

OP said they are spending several days in Berlin prior to the cruise.

OP: I've done 4 connections before to get those business-class low fares. You do what you gotta do ;) I would just try to get an earlier flight to SFO to give a little more time to do the FRA connection.

Keith,

OP said they are spending several days in Berlin prior to the cruise.

OP: I've done 4 connections before to get those business-class low fares. You do what you gotta do ;) I would just try to get an earlier flight to SFO to give a little more time to do the FRA connection.

Yes, you are right. Thank you.

I would get that earlier LAX to SFO flight.

Keith

Hello everyone... Thanks so much for all your information you have given me. I have been so worried about this flight but after all the information from everyone I will book this flight.

I will call United this afternoon and see it we can get an earlier flight LAX to SFO. If we can't I have one hour 20 min. to change planes. But I would feel better with a early flight to SFO. I will post back with that information.

For those that always answer everyone question here on Cruise Critic Thanks so much for all your time in helping everyone.

One more question the plane is 747-400 with four seats on each side then four in the middle two then two behind the first two total twelve seats. What would be the best seat to try to get? I am thinking on the side.

We are just so excited we have never been able to fly first class!

Thanks,

Betty

Hello everyone... Thanks so much for all your information you have given me. I have been so worried about this flight but after all the information from everyone I will book this flight.

I will call United this afternoon and see it we can get an earlier flight LAX to SFO. If we can't I have one hour 20 min. to change planes. But I would feel better with a early flight to SFO. I will post back with that information.

For those that always answer everyone question here on Cruise Critic Thanks so much for all your time in helping everyone.

One more question the plane is 747-400 with four seats on each side then four in the middle two then two behind the first two total twelve seats. What would be the best seat to try to get? I am thinking on the side.

Thanks,

Betty

First class is 4-4-4?

That can't be right.

FRA to TXL. (Berlin)

Betty

Heck no Betty. I would choose Lufthansa over United on any overseas portion any day. I'm going back from Barcelona on Air Canada to Toronto then United from Toronto to Chicago and then to San Francisco. Why you ask because I love flying especially on international carriers where you get free alcohol and good entertainment. It also breaks up the trip over the ocean as I can use the lounge at Toronto, take a shower and walk around. At Chicago I can go to the Untied Club and relax there and arrive SFO at 10:40 PM so I can go right to sleep as it helps with jetlag the later you arrive the better.

Last year I flew Rome-Munich=San Francisco on Lufthansa because they have good meals and alcohol in Coach Class. I got my fair share of Campari, Cognac, Bailey's Irish Cream etc. Great food great service.

Heck no Betty. I would choose Lufthansa over United on any overseas portion any day. I'm going back from Barcelona on Air Canada to Toronto then United from Toronto to Chicago and then to San Francisco. Why you ask because I love flying especially on international carriers where you get free alcohol and good entertainment. It also breaks up the trip over the ocean as I can use the lounge at Toronto, take a shower and walk around. At Chicago I can go to the Untied Club and relax there and arrive SFO at 10:40 PM so I can go right to sleep as it helps with jetlag the later you arrive the better.

Last year I flew Rome-Munich=San Francisco on Lufthansa because they have good meals and alcohol in Coach Class. I got my fair share of Campari, Cognac, Bailey's Irish Cream etc. Great food great service.

But she's not flying in coach.

Hello everyone... Thanks so much for all your information you have given me. I have been so worried about this flight but after all the information from everyone I will book

Thanks,

Betty

Betty -

I pulled up the seat map on seat guru dot com and you either need to decide if you want to sit next to or in front of / behind of your travel partner.

Personally, I would choose row 1, with an aisle between the two. But that's me and I travel all of the time, so I am very ok to not have someone to talk to for 12 hours on a plane.

If you must be closer together then two seats side by side in the row with 4 seats would be the best bet. The seats in front of/behind will not allow for any communication at all.

The first class seats are designed more for privacy than company.

Karen

The first class seats are designed more for privacy than company.

Reminds me of a flight from LAX to SYD in DL business on a 777. There was a couple onboard that I heard complaining because they couldn't talk with each other during the flight and they had paid more money and couldn't "be together". Even said they'd have just gone coach had they known. Sorry....flat bed pod vs coach is a no-brainer, IMHO. Besides, Mrs FT could easily survive without listening to my "wisdom" for 12 hours.....:D

One very minor issue with 1A-1K...there is a "nose closet" just ahead of that row. Flight attendants and passengers will walk between the two seats to access the closet. It's mostly before departure, on initial descent, and after landing...also now and then during the flight. Not just UA, almost all 744's. Not a big problem to me, but YMMV.

Archived