Costa Concordia

Anyone else have a bunch of trouble trying to load the webcam page. It seems as though the server cannot handle to the load from everyone trying to watch the lift. Also not this is not the refloating. It is just lifting it back to the vertical position. The refloating will come later on. They are yet to fit the floatation devices or sponsons to the starboard side.

Anyone else have a bunch of trouble trying to load the webcam page. It seems as though the server cannot handle to the load from everyone trying to watch the lift. Also not this is not the refloating. It is just lifting it back to the vertical position. The refloating will come later on. They are yet to fit the floatation devices or sponsons to the starboard side.

Yes, I thought it was my PC. As you said, the first stage is to only get it upright.:D

Yes a big salvage alright. But what about the cost, is costing just on one billion US Dollars this operation, the ship cost 570 million US Dollars to build. Double the cost of build to salvage.

I just saw one of the live feeds to the operation, the ship is upright.

Yes a big salvage alright. But what about the cost, is costing just on one billion US Dollars this operation, the ship cost 570 million US Dollars to build. Double the cost of build to salvage.

Just looking again and I think even though it's upright only the top 5 or 6 decks are above water so there's an awful lot of ship still below the water line.

Jill:)

Just looking again and I think even though it's upright only the top 5 or 6 decks are above water so there's an awful lot of ship still below the water line.

Jill:)

Hi, this edited comment explains why so much of the Concordia is below the waterline:

"you will see that the deck with wings will be just above water-level. They are actually submerging many of the passenger decks (including the life-boat) deck) to get the ship on to the false "sea-floor". The bottom of the port-side caissons is about the same level as the keel, so the ship will rest and be prevented from rolling further by these caissons."

Hi, this edited comment explains why so much of the Concordia is below the waterline:

"you will see that the deck with wings will be just above water-level. They are actually submerging many of the passenger decks (including the life-boat) deck) to get the ship on to the false "sea-floor". The bottom of the port-side caissons is about the same level as the keel, so the ship will rest and be prevented from rolling further by these caissons."

That explains why, I was thinking it was a bit low in the water.:eek:

Thanks for that, it explains it all.

:)

Cool that it is now upright but the expense is huge.:eek:

Archived