Tips for Butlers?

Aruba76

We will be in a suite for the first time on our 12 Night Mediterranean cruise next month. We are wondering how people tip the butler - each day or at the end of the cruise (or maybe at the beginning?) If we have any meals in our suite, do we tip for each room service delivery as we did in our Aqua cabins? Also, how much to tip? We like to be fair, leaning toward generous, adding extra when warranted.

Except for a small New Years gift, we tipped the butler extra at the end of the cruise, not when he delivered room service. We often had breakfast in our suite and cappuccino in the afternoon. He also made sure our bottles of Champaign were kept chilled and arranged for a dress to be cleaned that had food on the back from a chair I sat on at no charge. We did tip extra.

Mary Lou

We generally tip the butler "extra" at the end of the cruise, especially depending on how much we used him.

On our first "suite" cruise, we did not use our butler very often but we still tipped a little extra at the end of our cruise. On our most recent cruise to the Med, we took advantage of our butler's services, including getting late-in-the-day dinner reservations and having breakfast delivered daily.

We are in a suite on our upcoming cruise. We will definitely be using our butler's services and tipping extra at the end of the cruise.

I agree with all above posters. Our butlers have always gone above and beyond for us. This question has been posted before and sometimes gets some hotly contested replies. Yes, the tip for the butler is included in you tips that you pay, but we always get breakfast in our room and sometimes dinner, and we feel that the butler, as well as some other staff, work very hard and go way above and beyond, and we bring thank you notes and envelopes and give those that do provide exceLlent service something extra on the last night.

Enjoy our cruise and the Suite

I agree with all above posters. Our butlers have always gone above and beyond for us. This question has been posted before and sometimes gets some hotly contested replies. Yes, the tip for the butler is included in you tips that you pay, but we always get breakfast in our room and sometimes dinner, and we feel that the butler, as well as some other staff, work very hard and go way above and beyond, and we bring thank you notes and envelopes and give those that do provide exceLlent service something extra on the last night.

Enjoy our cruise and the Suite

Bringing "Thank You" notes is always a good idea. If I'm taking a Christmas cruise I take Christmas Cards for the staff.

And, those of us who are lazy (or forgetful) just swing by the GR desk and pick up some envelopes and stationary, for our "thank you's"! :D ;)

Orator -- love the holiday card idea. Will try to remember that one, if we ever get around to cruising at that time of year. :)

We usually seek out the servers at the end off the cruise with a warm $ filled handshake, but we may be rethinking that. The comment card at the end of the cruise is probably the biggest thank you we can give anyone that takes care off us. On Our last cruise there was a Staffer that was aways cleaning the rails and hand prints in the area where we hung out at. Her name was Luisa and never did we see her without her smile and her encouragement for us to join In the current activity! Especially if it were dancing (she was always swaying to the music) when I slipped her a little something at the end of the cruise her jaw dropped. So did the jaws on the cruisers around us at the time. We remembered to share her wonderful contribution to our stay in the comments. By the way, If you like the Christmas card idea, think about Halloween candy and hearts for valentines day. The staff loves the added touch.

We agree with tipping our butler and want to know from those who have tipped your butler' date=' what is an appropriate amount per day for excellent service? Looking for some guidelines.[/quote']

Thank you for all your responses. We are also looking for some guidelines as to appropriate amounts.

Thank you for all your responses. We are also looking for some guidelines as to appropriate amounts.

It's really not something that others can tell you. Tipping is very personal and passengers tip according to their means. The amount you tip is neither right nor wrong, it's all just personally up to you and what you think is appropriate. I've known some that have given as little as $20 extra on the last night and others who have given hundreds. In the end, it's just up to you.

We agree with tipping our butler and want to know from those who have tipped your butler' date=' what is an appropriate amount per day for excellent service? Looking for some guidelines.[/quote']

You already have a guideline. Your pre-paid/auto-deducted gratuities includes a daily amount for your butler. That is your benchmark for deciding any extras you wish to pay.

Sue

Yes, I acknowledge that tipping is personal. Yes, there are gratuities included in the daily amount, etc., etc., etc. This is not the information I am seeking, and I really don't need the standing "tipping rhetoric"

I simply want to know from those folks who have provided an additional gratuity to their butlers for outstanding service, the approx amount on a per day basis. Thanks.

Yes' date=' I acknowledge that tipping is personal. Yes, there are gratuities included in the daily amount, etc., etc., etc. This is not the information I am seeking, and I really don't need the standing "tipping rhetoric"

I simply want to know from those folks who have provided an additional gratuity to their butlers for outstanding service, the approx amount on a per day basis. Thanks.[/quote']

In addition to the small gift on New Years, we gave $25 or $30 on a 14 night cruise, can't remember exactly.

Mary Lou

I have been on Cunard and Celebrity with service from butlers on each. For a tipping guide I used $10 a day if I used the Butler for breakfast service and dinner service in the cabin.

If I used them for planning special dinners at pay venues and or for just coffee in the room then I added $7 a day. I also make sure IF they are have expressed interest one of the stops on the trip that I get them something from the local merchants to go with their thank you tip.

I don't usually count the auto tipping in any of these calculations because I know that is how they make their wages for the most part.

Also remember there is usually an assistant to the butler that cleans the room/bathroom/changes out the towels .... If I see that they are giving me extras I add a few dollars a day up to $5 a day for tipping at the end of the cruise also.

Celebrity has also got a supervisor that inspects the rooms for appropriate cleanliness and service that should check in on you either daily or more often. I have had excellent service on Celebrity and included a small tip to that person also (usually $20 / $25 ).

hope this helps

Archived