Wine policy for cruises overlapping Jan. 31

BlueLadyBlue

Following is the response I received from My PCC when I asked how the new wine policy would affect our cruise. We sail from Rotterdam on January 8, 2014 and finish in Singapore on February 28th.

"You are allowed to bring wine and champagne on board at the ports on segment from January 8th through January 30th . The new policy will take effect on segment from January 31st .":eek::(

Not happy

Following is the response I received from My PCC when I asked how the new wine policy would affect our cruise. We sail from Rotterdam on January 8, 2014 and finish in Singapore on February 28th.

"You are allowed to bring wine and champagne on board at the ports on segment from January 8th through January 30th . The new policy will take effect on segment from January 31st .":eek::(

Not happy

I guess you'll be taking a lot more wine onboard for your intitial embarkation.;)

hmm - the reply seems a bit strange - normally when a cruise starts before a new policy is in effect the new policy does not start until the end of that cruise. (I hope I said this in clear way?)

Remember, your PCC might not even have all the facts yet. Whether HAL has this sorted out yet or not is not known.

Looking at your itinerary, I see that it can be booked in 2 segments. Therefore your PCC may be telling you correctly about the policy going into effect at the end of your first segment.

They can't have 1 group of people being allowed to bring wine in from ports while another set won't be allowed. The people at the gangway won't know who is from which cruise.

We've booked a collectors cruise for the Caribbean starting January 27 and ending February 17. It is 11 days out of Ft. Lauderdale, returning to Ft. Lauderdale and then another 11 days starting February 7.We intend to bring on enough wine for the entire 21 days when we board in January. We don't usually buy anything in Caribbean ports, but understand that for those cruising to Europe, this really makes it difficult to try wines from foreign countries.

"mamaofami" --- Carol, we're booked on the previous leg of that cruise (17/1), and your first leg (27/1), so we don't have to deal with the Feb. 7 'new rules' period. Don't hurt yourself hauling that 21 day supply ---- I'll be able to bring mine on in 2 lots!! ;)

FYI, today there was a price drop on my cruise for my category, perhaps you should check your booking as well!! Good Luck!!

They can't have 1 group of people being allowed to bring wine in from ports while another set won't be allowed. The people at the gangway won't know who is from which cruise.
They solved that problem on the GWV by exempting the whole thing, even segments starting after Feb 1. They easily could have (and IMO should have) done the same on the OP's cruise and the Prinsendam South America GV.

We've booked a collectors cruise for the Caribbean starting January 27 and ending February 17. It is 11 days out of Ft. Lauderdale, returning to Ft. Lauderdale and then another 11 days starting February 7.We intend to bring on enough wine for the entire 21 days when we board in January. We don't usually buy anything in Caribbean ports, but understand that for those cruising to Europe, this really makes it difficult to try wines from foreign countries.

Since we are boarding the second half of your cruise, can I give you my shopping list for Total Wine? Just an extra couple of cases and you can just slap on a luggage tag.;):D;):D

Disclaimer: this is a joke, I couldn't help myself.:D

"mamaofami" --- Carol' date=' we're booked on the previous leg of that cruise (17/1), and your first leg (27/1), so we don't have to deal with the Feb. 7 'new rules' period. Don't hurt yourself hauling that 21 day supply ---- I'll be able to bring mine on in 2 lots!! ;)

FYI, today there was a price drop on my cruise for my category, perhaps you should check your booking as well!! Good Luck!![/quote']

Thanks for the heads up. My category is actually up $450pp.

hmm - the reply seems a bit strange - normally when a cruise starts before a new policy is in effect the new policy does not start until the end of that cruise. (I hope I said this in clear way?)

Remember, your PCC might not even have all the facts yet. Whether HAL has this sorted out yet or not is not known.

You're right. PCC's are not always totally accurate in relaying/learning HAL's latest, most current position on some policies.

Looking at your itinerary, I see that it can be booked in 2 segments. Therefore your PCC may be telling you correctly about the policy going into effect at the end of your first segment.

You're right, too, KK. :)

Expect confusion and inconsistency.

It seems inevitable.

Since we are boarding the second half of your cruise, can I give you my shopping list for Total Wine? Just an extra couple of cases and you can just slap on a luggage tag.;):D;):D

Disclaimer: this is a joke, I couldn't help myself.:D

I've already had a request to do this for someone. We don't take on that much since I rarely drink any wine, but I'll need a van for everyone else.

I've already had a request to do this for someone. We don't take on that much since I rarely drink any wine, but I'll need a van for everyone else.

I guess when you booked this cruise you didn't expect to be a (wine) mule for the next segment.

It's interesting that according to Cruise Critic's "Alcohol Policy" for HAL their one bottle limit begins on 1 Jan 2014.

It's been mentioned numerous times on these boards that the "Cruise Critic" listing of alcohol polices is out of date and needs updating for many cruise lines.

Have a dozen cases delivered to the ship on embarkation day.

If you need more than that, you're probably drinking too much.

LOL I think that may be a bit excessive assuming six bottles to a case.

I'm not planning on actually doing this but can you do that? Have a dozen cases delivered to the ship? Do you somehow carry it aboard yourself or will HAL load if you put a luggage sticker on?

We will just pick some wine up at our ports for as long as we are allowed to bring it on board and if we run out life will go on. I think?

Thanks all. We're almost down to double digits so it's getting closer.

LOL I think that may be a bit excessive assuming six bottles to a case.

I'm not planning on actually doing this but can you do that? Have a dozen cases delivered to the ship? Do you somehow carry it aboard yourself or will HAL load if you put a luggage sticker on?

We will just pick some wine up at our ports for as long as we are allowed to bring it on board and if we run out life will go on. I think?

Thanks all. We're almost down to double digits so it's getting closer.

If some passengers are bringing that much wine on board I do not blame Hal or any cruise line for changing their policy to limiting the number of bottles that can be brought on board the ship. The cruising industry is a busines not just a boat ride.

Archived