LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Take a look at Post # 397 there's an address there for a web cam. Hope that one will work for you.

Thanks so much!! Now tomorrow I just have to hope it moves!! If not the pictures will do nicely too!! Just want to be able to pseudo wave to people :p;)

Pam, I believe I read somewhere on these boards, while doing research, that you are in the same "sideways" inside cabin that we've booked for our November cruise on Royal. How do you like it? any noise issues?
I'm in a standard balcony cabin. My sister is down the hall in a "sideways" cabin. Really spacious. We've booked sideways inside cabins for next year's T/A. :) I'm liking the balcony cabin but refuse to pay the premium for next year. Edited by Pam in CA

Hello all. We've been on-board for about 4 or so hours now. I was dreading embarkation but it actually went amazingly quick (at least for us). They had different colored colored tags that said "Elite"on them. We had yellow and our color was actually first. We were probably the fourth couple (excluding mobility issue travelers) that boarded. Strange thing though we had a couple that were just 2-3 (Bronze Level) and they were also called with us as they also had the yellow boarding card.

We are in an Owner's Suite and I must say that other than the huge balcony, I am disappointed with the cabin. For being an OS suite which is supposedly the best on the ship it is quite small (IMHO). I also discovered that despite what the literature and Princess CS reps say when I called them on Wednesday, there is no DVD player in the suite. I was told that there is an issue with the on demand system creating issue for the DVD player. I even brought a cheap blue ray player and tried to hook it up via HDMI and no go.

As far as the ship itself goes, all I can say is WOW. It is gigantic. When I first walked into thee Piazza, I stood there for about 15 minutes just starring at it. The Horizon court is gigantic. Many, many, many choices. The eating area out on deck to the rear of the HC is huge. One thing that I thought was novel was when you walked into the HC, they asked you to wash your hands at nearby sinks. There were also purell stations present.

As Pia stated earlier, the fitness center is kinda hard to find but seems well appointed. I will be breaking it in tomorrow.

We made our free suite dinner reservation at the CG for tomorrow night. I am looking forward to that.

Just finished unpacking and stowing my gear so I'm off to explore the Lotus Spa and other areas around the Piazza.

Take Care All.....:):):)

Bob

Bob, you and Holli made it!! I'm looking forward to your posts!!

Bon voyage to all on the T/A. Have enjoyed the posts to date and am looking forward to more. If anyone onboard runs into Head Waiter Rui, could you please ask him if he will remain through the end of the year? Not sailing the Royal until December and am hoping he will still be there. Thanks.

Bon voyage to all on the T/A. Have enjoyed the posts to date and am looking forward to more. If anyone onboard runs into Head Waiter Rui, could you please ask him if he will remain through the end of the year? Not sailing the Royal until December and am hoping he will still be there. Thanks.

As long as you're asking - please check if he thinks he'll be on in Feb.

We'd love to see him again!

I still don’t know whether or not our internet minutes will carry over and I still have more than 2 hours remaining. I am posting this now; before 10 AM.

Bye.

Pia! Try asking the person at the Internet Café desk to transfer your remaining minutes to your new segment. It worked for me on my January B2B on the Grand!

I emailed Princess first and they said to call 1-800-Princess which I did just a bit ago. Explained to the man about posters stating they didn't get the little bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion - he goes away to check some one and said yes you would get them. However, the way he phrased it, it didn't sound specific to the Royal, so he checked again - and said if there were a problem to talk to the steward or Passenger Services, because they are definitely supposed to be there for Elite passengers.

Would be interested to know if that problem went away for the TA. Thanks. Bon voyage - I'll be onboard for the Caribbean Inaugural!

I emailed Princess first and they said to call 1-800-Princess which I did just a bit ago. Explained to the man about posters stating they didn't get the little bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion - he goes away to check some one and said yes you would get them. However, the way he phrased it, it didn't sound specific to the Royal, so he checked again - and said if there were a problem to talk to the steward or Passenger Services, because they are definitely supposed to be there for Elite passengers.

Would be interested to know if that problem went away for the TA. Thanks. Bon voyage - I'll be onboard for the Caribbean Inaugural!

I think the steward IS the problem.

We had a bad steward once on a cruise and talking to him and/or his supervisor did nothing.

If the issue is important go to Passenger Services and, if need be, leave a note for the hotel director. (I don't think I'd go that far for some shampoo, though.)

Usually the stewards bend over backwards to please .

Hi Pia,

Just read the whole blog tonight. We were on the Star last week and had a wonderful time in LA for 3 days and then the coastal. Even Stan enjoyed the cruise. Stan loves the Royal especially the HC. Getting ready to close this house and leave for Florida. Enjoy the TA. Wish I were there.

Regards to Mike.

Alice

Hello from across the seas in Australia!

Love reading this thread and looking forward to our time on the Royal!

Would Pia or someone currently onboard please ask the photo dept if they have the photobooks available on the Royal?

We bought one on the Coral and our trip Panama Canal. It was great and unfortunately they did not have it for our trip on the Ruby so I had to make my own from another photobook company.

I like the cruise set up books as they are customized for our ship and itinerary!

If someone could check that would be great thanks

Have an awesome time!!!

Cheers

Danni

Good morning from the Royal Princess. It's 0640 Venice time. Waiting for about another 50 minutes till Sabatinis opens for breakfast:). I went into the Enclave yesterday and liked it so much I booked it for the entire cruise. I was toying with the idea of doing the Sanctuary instead but I ultimately decided on the Enclave. 18 day price for DW and I is $499.00 which I know is a bit steep but it fits my needs. The one person pass is either $239 or $259 (can't remember).

Continued exploring last night and I must say this ship is very beautiful. With the exception of my cabin, I think I will enjoy the Royal over the next 18 days.

Not much on tap for today. DW and I won't be getting off the ship. Muster drill is at 1600 and sailaway should be soon after.

Take Care All.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I'm in a standard balcony cabin. My sister is down the hall in a "sideways" cabin. Really spacious. We've booked sideways inside cabins for next year's T/A. :) I'm liking the balcony cabin but refuse to pay the premium for next year.

Would like to see some photo's of the "sideways" cabin. We have one on the Oct 29th cruise.

Thanks

Joanne

Did you know that local legend says that lovers will be granted everlasting love and bliss if they kiss on a gondola at sunset under the Bridge of Sighs? Good morning on our last day in Venice. It’s still pretty cold out there, but at least it isn’t raining.

Yesterday was a very relaxing day for us; even had lunch in the MDR. I had my nails done and them read for most of the afternoon. And after dinner we watched the movie “Safe Haven” on TV in our cabin.

Today, since we’re still in port until 4 PM, there is really nothing going on aboard ship. There is however an afternoon movie, “Before Midnight” at 1:00 PM in the theater. I need to google it and then………. perhaps.

Tonight there will be the Welcome Aboard show in the theater and “Oz the Great and Powerful” on MUTS. Kory Simon is still in Crooners, so I guess he didn’t get off. So many piano players; hard to keep track who’s performing and at which venue.

A few responses:

1. No fondue for us. Not our thing

2. HC is wonderful; too many choices.

3. Oma: yes, will do a Live from Africa if little ship signal is good.

4 Ed: I know all about the tags. We covered it on the last cruise ;)

5. Rui: He was supposed to go on vacation now and come back in Jan or Feb. But he just got notice he has to go to another ship and his vacation won't begin until some time in November.

6. Bottles of stuff: We get two larger size bottle of shampoo and shower gel. Got them on first leg and again yesterday. No lotion. Don't care. Dislike lotion.

That’s about it for now. BTW, internet minutes did carry over. Makes me very happy. Also, since there are so many CC people now aboard and they will be posting regularly, I may curtail things a bit from my end. No need to keep repeating the same things over and over again.

That’s about it for now. BTW, internet minutes did carry over. Makes me very happy. Also, since there are so many CC people now aboard and they will be posting regularly, I may curtail things a bit from my end. No need to keep repeating the same things over and over again.

Pia, do enjoy the rest of your cruise on Royal Princess. I, for one, would love to continue hearing from you when you find time, as well as hearing from everyone else on the ship. It really gives me something to look forward to every night when I get to work. :D

52 Days and Counting....

Oh, joy. No WiFi in my cabin. Nothing. Zilch. Zippo. No option to select the Royal Princess WiFi. Connected up in the HC and reported at the Purser's Desk. We'll see. I'm liking the Intranet.

Not doing much today other than hanging out, chatting with friends, etc. Going to a friend's cabin for sailaway.

Oh, joy. No WiFi in my cabin. Nothing. Zilch. Zippo. No option to select the Royal Princess WiFi. Connected up in the HC and reported at the Purser's Desk. We'll see. I'm liking the Intranet.

Not doing much today other than hanging out, chatting with friends, etc. Going to a friend's cabin for sailaway.

Pam the real question is.....How is your toilet working?;) Sorry about no WiFi. That is something that would happen to me the next time I sail Princess because it will be the first time I will be using the Platinum benefit. That's how my luck goes.

Just returned home from the 12 day Barcelona-Venice cruise. Can't sleep and thought I would post my thoughts about the Royal.

LOVED the ship. Yes, I missed the mid-ship staircase like others have stated, but you get used to it not being there after awhile. Beautiful piazza area. As others have mentioned, wonderful food choices in the HC buffet. I am on a restricted diet and was thrilled to find so many more food choices than on previous ships.

This cruise I had an inside cabin. Best inside cabin ever!! My parents had a mini-suite for the first 12 (or however many) days, then a balcony. My inside cabin had more storage room than their balcony. Loved it! And the 40" televisions are wonderful!! The shampoo and body soap is in larger containers that are mounted in the shower. Don't like the stuff. But if you are Elite (I'm only Platinum at this point), you get the shampoo that is in a tube. Much better stuff. Still not as good as what I use at home, but will do in a pinch. I do like not having all those little bottles around the sink and in the shower.

Sabatini's was great! I ordered a steak and it literally was one of the best I've ever had. The waiter told me that I would really like their steaks and he was right. Order a steak!! At Alfredo's I was able to have gluten-free pizza, which was heavenly. You just need to give them 24 hours notice to order gluten-free.

Speaking of gluten-free, I've always been able to have the gluten-free bread in the dining room on the other ships. Haven't liked it too much, but at least it was something to nibble on while waiting for dinner. Something about the gf bread they serve on the Royal is different, must be a different recipe cause I had to stop myself and not eat so much that I was full before even eating my first course. Even my father starting eating my gf bread! On my last day, the waiter got me the recipe. For those of you who don't need to eat gluten-free, it is wonderful when you find a recipe, especially a bread recipe, that you really like. Thank you, Dan, in the dining room for getting me that recipe!

My parents and sister were on the ship when the power went out and the cruise was cut short. They did not suffer. In fact, my mother made a point to tell Captain Tony at lunch that Captain Dino did a fantastic job keeping everybody informed with updates and kept them comfortable. I heard so many stories re: how the staff worked really hard to make things happen during that stressful time. For those of you who may be worried about something like that happening again, don't be. If it does happen, you'll get a free cruise out of it! I'm not worried, as I am already booked on this same cruise, plus the TA, next year on the Regal.

Would love to see Princess bring back free Internet for Platinum (and above) members. But we know that's not going to happen. Apparently, the free Internet was being abused by people (and kids) staying on it all day playing games, doing day trading, etc. On the Mediterranean cruise, Athens (Pirraeus) has the best free wifi facilities close to the ship (Terminal B). In Mykonos, if you can get to town (the walk isn't bad; just stay close to the edge of the road), go to one of many coffee shops, buy a drink and get free wifi. Had a harder time in Venice finding free wifi near the ship. Apparently, we docked further away from the terminal. Oh, that was a BIG surprise taking the water taxi. We had to walk a very long distance just to get from the ship to the water taxi. It wasn't bad for me, but for my 81 year old mother who has difficulty walking, it was bad. No shuttle back from the ship to the taxi dock, either.

The Princess Theatre is easier to access. Again, it wasn't an issue for me. But I am more aware of these things traveling with my elderly parents. They really like being able to walk straight into it from Deck 6.

I missed not having the Promenade Deck 7 to walk around. I did go use the track upstairs and the Fitness Room, which is quite nice. But on those days when the winds were high or it was raining, I couldn't use the outdoor track.

Overall, it was hard to believe that there were over 4,000 people on that ship. It never felt crowded. The eating areas on Deck 5 (International Cafe, gelato station, etc.) are nice to have so you don't have to go back up to HC to get a bit to eat.

Looking forward to doing this again on the Regal next October. I'm booked also on the Royal for a Caribbean cruise earlier next year. Right now, I can't imagine going back to a smaller ship. We'll see.. If the price is right, you never know:)

To Funny fingers: great review! Please consider posting a review under the review area of cruise critic. There were so many naysayers and negative reviews that the positive ones need to be posted as well! I also loved the ship...yes, missed the promenade, but hardly had time to notice it with all of the improvements and so much going on!!;)

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Just returned home from the 12 day Barcelona-Venice cruise. Can't sleep and thought I would post my thoughts about the Royal.

LOVED the ship. Yes, I missed the mid-ship staircase like others have stated, but you get used to it not being there after awhile. Beautiful piazza area. As others have mentioned, wonderful food choices in the HC buffet. I am on a restricted diet and was thrilled to find so many more food choices than on previous ships.

This cruise I had an inside cabin. Best inside cabin ever!! My parents had a mini-suite for the first 12 (or however many) days, then a balcony. My inside cabin had more storage room than their balcony. Loved it! And the 40" televisions are wonderful!! The shampoo and body soap is in larger containers that are mounted in the shower. Don't like the stuff. But if you are Elite (I'm only Platinum at this point), you get the shampoo that is in a tube. Much better stuff. Still not as good as what I use at home, but will do in a pinch. I do like not having all those little bottles around the sink and in the shower.

Sabatini's was great! I ordered a steak and it literally was one of the best I've ever had. The waiter told me that I would really like their steaks and he was right. Order a steak!! At Alfredo's I was able to have gluten-free pizza, which was heavenly. You just need to give them 24 hours notice to order gluten-free.

Speaking of gluten-free, I've always been able to have the gluten-free bread in the dining room on the other ships. Haven't liked it too much, but at least it was something to nibble on while waiting for dinner. Something about the gf bread they serve on the Royal is different, must be a different recipe cause I had to stop myself and not eat so much that I was full before even eating my first course. Even my father starting eating my gf bread! On my last day, the waiter got me the recipe. For those of you who don't need to eat gluten-free, it is wonderful when you find a recipe, especially a bread recipe, that you really like. Thank you, Dan, in the dining room for getting me that recipe!

My parents and sister were on the ship when the power went out and the cruise was cut short. They did not suffer. In fact, my mother made a point to tell Captain Tony at lunch that Captain Dino did a fantastic job keeping everybody informed with updates and kept them comfortable. I heard so many stories re: how the staff worked really hard to make things happen during that stressful time. For those of you who may be worried about something like that happening again, don't be. If it does happen, you'll get a free cruise out of it! I'm not worried, as I am already booked on this same cruise, plus the TA, next year on the Regal.

Would love to see Princess bring back free Internet for Platinum (and above) members. But we know that's not going to happen. Apparently, the free Internet was being abused by people (and kids) staying on it all day playing games, doing day trading, etc. On the Mediterranean cruise, Athens (Pirraeus) has the best free wifi facilities close to the ship (Terminal B). In Mykonos, if you can get to town (the walk isn't bad; just stay close to the edge of the road), go to one of many coffee shops, buy a drink and get free wifi. Had a harder time in Venice finding free wifi near the ship. Apparently, we docked further away from the terminal. Oh, that was a BIG surprise taking the water taxi. We had to walk a very long distance just to get from the ship to the water taxi. It wasn't bad for me, but for my 81 year old mother who has difficulty walking, it was bad. No shuttle back from the ship to the taxi dock, either.

The Princess Theatre is easier to access. Again, it wasn't an issue for me. But I am more aware of these things traveling with my elderly parents. They really like being able to walk straight into it from Deck 6.

I missed not having the Promenade Deck 7 to walk around. I did go use the track upstairs and the Fitness Room, which is quite nice. But on those days when the winds were high or it was raining, I couldn't use the outdoor track.

Overall, it was hard to believe that there were over 4,000 people on that ship. It never felt crowded. The eating areas on Deck 5 (International Cafe, gelato station, etc.) are nice to have so you don't have to go back up to HC to get a bit to eat.

Looking forward to doing this again on the Regal next October. I'm booked also on the Royal for a Caribbean cruise earlier next year. Right now, I can't imagine going back to a smaller ship. We'll see.. If the price is right, you never know:)

You sure you're not referring to the free internet for suite passengers that was cutoff July of last year. Luckily I had this cruise booked before the cut off so I'm still getting the free stuff:) Unless I'm mistaken, Gray and black carders get 250 minutes free.....

Bob