What is the worst weather have ever cruised in?

goldgirl2

On the Allure April 2012. It wasn't really a storm, but it rained everyday of the cruise. Captain Johnny said he has been doing this for 29 years and had never seen anything like it. When they did the question and answer session, the captain and the hotel manager came out with rain gear on and did a skit. He told us we would be late docking in FLL because he was going to swing around Bermuda to get us some sun.lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In 1996 my wife and I and my parents left Palma for Sicily on board the Seawing, an Airtours ship. A few hours after we set sail we ran into an almighty storm which lasted all night and the whole of the following day, which was a sea day. It was horrendous. Entertainment was cancelled, and very few ventured to the dining room. Sick bags were placed all over the ship. We had to get the ships doctor to visit mum in her cabin and basically knock her out. What made matters worse for my wife and I it was our Silver Wedding Anniversary that day and I had booked a celebration package. We had to cancel it, and celebrated 4 days later.

Incidentally, without being too crude, our family now know why the toilet and was hand basin are so close in the bathroom!!

The 25ft. waves and 50mph winds bothered some, but when you book a cruise around Cape Horn you expect that. Not much rain. They would close the outside decks at times. Mariner of the Seas with Capt. Per Kristoffersen and his staff handled it quite well in Jan./Feb. 2011. We actually enjoyed the adventure.

Rick and Deirdra

The 25ft. waves and 50mph winds bothered some, but when you book a cruise around Cape Horn you expect that. Not much rain. They would close the outside decks at times. Mariner of the Seas with Capt. Per Kristoffersen and his staff handled it quite well in Jan./Feb. 2011. We actually enjoyed the adventure.

Rick and Deirdra

I really envy you folks who got to go on those Mariner cruises around the horn. What a fantastic trip!

During a "rogue" tropical storm in mid-December (just after official hurricane season) in the Caribbean on HAL. 25ft. waves - 45 mph winds. We missed two ports due to the high winds and basically had 5 rough sea days. Its a miracle that my DH ever got me back on a ship again!

Hurricane Sandy on the Explorer. Windows in the Windjammer and fitness center were broken, dining room was so crowded they handed out sandwiches in the Promenade to those who weren't able to get in to eat. Captain opened phones and internet so people could call home and check on things. Fortunately, rough ride only lasted the better part of one day until we sailed out of the really bad weather.

One cruise to Bermuda many years ago the wind was so strong we couldn't dock, had to sail around for several hours until it was deemed safe enough to try to enter the channel. There were reports of injuries, including broken bones, from being tossed around.

Cruising in the Western Med in July 2011 and there was a storm late one evening and throughout the night. The theatre production had to be stopped as the ship was rocking so much. The drinks on tables were sliding all over the place. It was really quite scary. The crew roped off the doors out to the deck and everyone was told to remain inside. Some guests in inside cabins slept on chairs in the lounge as they said they thought it was even worse on the lower decks with no windows and they refused to go down. The sea was still quite choppy the following day, but nothing compared to the previous night. I wouldn't like to experience it again.

On the Enchantment in 2011 February. It was our only high/wind wave cruise.

Just one day. In Windjammer people were having difficulty walking. The kitchen staff were having some fun too! :eek:

By dinner it was so uncomfortable we opted to have rm service for supper. The only time we have eaten in a staterm. Stayed put in the staterm into the night some things fell off the vanity. We rock & rolled all night long.

Finally fell asleep in the wee hrs of the am.

We woke to wonderful Caribbean weather.

Four cruises under our belt thus far.

When we sailed Disney in August of (2006) we had the tail end of Hurricaine Dan .....the waves were rough, a lot of "barf" bags hanging around, many used.

We sailed Eastern, and the first day was bumpy, we survived.

No one in our party got sick, a little green, but, managed to be ok.

Sea Ya

Having cruised out of Baltimore, Cape Liberty, and NYC in March, April, July, and November, we've seen some weather. We sailed the week AFTER Sandy and talked to a couple that was onboard during it and they said while it was rocky and windy, it really wasn't as horrible as some people reported. We have had 15-20 foot waves and 50 mph+ winds without a "named" storm or anything other than just normal weather. Last year we were onboard Explorer and someone said to us that the weather was horrible. At that point we had maybe 12 foot waves. It was really nothing. Everything is relative. We've eaten breakfast with waves smacking the MDR windows (deck 3) My DH, a retired US Navy Captain, laughs because he's sailed through and around several hurricanes and tropical storms in a much smaller ship. The last two times we've left Cape Liberty we've had thunderstorms within about 4 hours of sailing. Including one where the Viking Crown was struck by lightning as we were walking by the pool area (under cover). It happens.

On the Allure April 2012. It wasn't really a storm, but it rained everyday of the cruise. Captain Johnny said he has been doing this for 29 years and had never seen anything like it. When they did the question and answer session, the captain and the hotel manager came out with rain gear on and did a skit. He told us we would be late docking in FLL because he was going to swing around Bermuda to get us some sun.lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Pretty sure I was on that one too. Remember it well.

Our second cruise on a small ship Sun Dream out of Ocho Rios in 2001. The wind and waves that night were enormous and when we were walking to dinner in the morning ( now nice and calm) we saw that most of the merchandise in the onboard shops was scattered all over the floors. It was a wild night but we continued to cruise and still love it.

Monarch of the Seas + Hurricane Sandy...

Day 7/4 Rolling back to Port Canaveral, FL

I slept in pretty late (10am) this morning and decided to just eat a Banana from my fruit plate in the room. I got dressed up in my swim trunks, went to the pool deck to see all the chairs empty, which is unheard of on a sea day. The weather was poor with high winds, rain, and did I mention high winds.

The CD Mitch and activities manger Erky from Turkey put on a show title: Life on a cruise ship. The show was very low key and it seemed as they improved the whole show, yet still entering Q&A session.

This evening the ship was rocking harder than I've ever experienced on a cruise ship. People were falling all over the place and walking in a straight line simply was not happening. The captain came on the PA system at 6pm and the ship became very quite, because people knew he was giving us an update on the weather. He decided to pull into Port Canaveral, FL at Midnight, due to the weather conditions. However, no one could get off the ship until the morning, as customs were not going to be in place. I was actually hoping we could not pull into port, because my vacation is coming to an end! The top decks were closed, the pool chairs were all stacked, and the Monarch handled the storm well, given the conditions.

They closed access to the top decks

DSC06036_zps93f6e3d2.jpg

High waves were rocking the ship and the cabin drawers and doors were banging open and shut. Ever curious, I made the mistake of looking out our porthole!

After seeing the ship listing at a hysteria-friendly angle, I got in bed and tucked the blanket and comforter under the mattres on all sides except the top, a configuration I normally hate but thought it might slow down my being tossed from bed. I laid under the covers all night with no sleep - I read a book about sledding across Antarctica while my husband slept soundly most of the night.

Morning brought slightly better seas but most of the passengers, including me, and a lot of the crew were specaularly and often publicly ill.

I was on the Norwegian Gem TA cruise from Venice to New York in the fall of 2010.

About 3 days out of New York, we had 70ft and above waves. Balcony Cabins as high as deck 10 were flooding. We were confined to our cabins for 2 days because of this. Many people had injuries because of the roughness of the seas

Archived