Any help appreciated

DJSchib

We are going on our first cruise in February and so excited. Any suggestions or tips on things that need to be done as far as booking excursions, entertainment on the ship (Celebrity), meals (selected dining) that should be done now or in the next month?

Also, since we are from Michigan and winter is almost upon us and summer clearance is now ridiculously cheap, what are some must haves to take on a cruise that perhaps I can buy now? Come February, our summer clothes are not yet in stock in the stores so buying now is a good idea. How formal is formal on most cruises?

Anything I should be aware of before final payment is due as far as drop in price etc?

Thanks!

Debbie

First welcome to CC. You came to the right place for sage advice.

Michigan, first having grown up on the Ontario side of your Soo and you are travelling in winter plan to fly to the port a day early. Lake effect storms can play havoc with travel at that time of year as I am sure you know.

Ask any and all questions of the people here. While the odd smart ass will make a comment or two the advice and answers you get will for the most part be based on sound experience.

Read all the boards including the Celebrity one. Go to the Celebrity Roll call page and see if one has been started for your particular trip. Great way to meet people from all walks of life and potentially many foreign lands.

Thats enough to get you a sound start and once again welcome to a vacation lifestyle I'm sure you will have a long relationship with.

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks much for the warm welcome

We are flying in two days prior to the cruise. We know all too well the snowstorms can do to create havoc in a trip. We live near Traverse City and right in a snow belt. We get hammered and I am afraid this winter will be bad

Thanks for the advice!

Debbie

Formal is as formal as you want. Anything from your wedding dress to what you wear to church. There will be men in tuxes, and others in a collard shirt and slacks. Don't overpack. Take clothes that mix and match, shoes as well. EM

Oh please don't say "winter is almost upon us". I'm on the other side of Lake Huron from you and it's bright and sunny here today - I know it won't last, but I hope it's a long time until snow, blowing snow. blizzards and closed highways.

Looking forward to a cruise is almost (I said almost) as much fun as the cruise - lots of research and planning. Enjoy.

Oh it's 74 today and beautiful. No one dreads winter more then I do !! Next week does not look promising. Goodbye Indian summer!! I so enjoy this pre-planning stuff. I have bags here and there with good deals I found. Just want to make sure I am on the right track and not missing out on something that needs to be done or reserved

Speaking of overpacking, what is the best way to pack formal attire? Any tips you have found that work great to prevent wrinkles and take less space as far as men suits and cocktail type dress?

I leave mine on the hangers and cover them with a plastic dry cleaning bag. I fold them in half and lay them on top of everything else. Works perfectly!

Speaking of overpacking, what is the best way to pack formal attire? Any tips you have found that work great to prevent wrinkles and take less space as far as men suits and cocktail type dress?

My husband usually packs a large garment bag suitcase. I give him my formal wear on a hanger to pack in his suitcase. I use a regular suitcase and will pack some of his stuff in my bag.

For formal wear on Celebrity, I usually pack a long black skirt that is made from a dressy material and pack dressy tops. I wear the same skirt for the formal nights but change out the tops. It is easier to pack than a gown.

I had my eye on a sleeveless pink sparkly top and bought it when it went on clearance!!! Got it real cheap (something like $20 - orig. price was $75ish? - it was a long time ago).

Funny story - on my second cruise, I had brought that pink top for one of the formal nights. However, I got sunburned in Aruba and the top was scratchy as the inside does not have much of a lining. While in Curacao the next day, I saw a pretty black halter top in a soft material. It has rhinestones on it which made it look dressy. I bought the top for $10!!!!! :D

When I wore it the next night for formal night - everyone thought I was wearing a gown - not a skirt and blouse - and I received alot of compliments!!!!! :D:D

I had my eye on a sleeveless pink sparkly top and bought it when it went on clearance!!! Got it real cheap (something like $20 - orig. price was $75ish? - it was a long time ago).

Funny story - on my second cruise, I had brought that pink top for one of the formal nights. However, I got sunburned in Aruba and the top was scratchy as the inside does not have much of a lining. While in Curacao the next day, I saw a pretty black halter top in a soft material. It has rhinestones on it which made it look dressy. I bought the top for $10!!!!! :D

When I wore it the next night for formal night - everyone thought I was wearing a gown - not a skirt and blouse - and I received alot of compliments!!!!! :D:D

Those were both good bargains.

First, welcome to the forum. I have been on over 30 cruises and still manage to pick up something new every time I come back to the board.

To answer some of your questions:

For formal night, I take black slacks made of a soft flowing fabric and mix up a bunch of tops for formal night. I wear with a pair of black flats. No more cocktail dresses and no more heels.

If there are any excursions you MUST do, book them online before the cruise. I have boarded a bunch of ships to see some excursions already sold out.

As for packing, I interfold. For instance, I lay out one pair of my husband's pants with the legs over the edge. Then lay a second pair in the suitcase and fold over the legs from the original pair, then the legs from the second pair. Putting underwear in the folds also helps.

Remember that a steamy hot bathroom does wonders for getting wrinkles out. Just hang your clothes in there.

You also mention "suits" in one post. We have reached the point where my husband takes one sports jacket ... not even a suit. Formal nights have become a lot less formal than they used to be. Yes, you will see some tux and fancy dresses. But if dressing up doesn't do anything for you, leave the fancy stuff home.

Thanks so much for the wonderful info especially how you fold clothes. That tip will come in handy. Need to start thinking about excursions and whether to book through the cruise site or privately. Really should try and find some book describing the ports and what there is to see if I can find one

Thanks again

Debbie

Another hint/tip, especially useful for women under 40.

The best time to buy formal wear for cruises is right after high school proms or winter formals. Beautiful $250 gowns can be got for $30, and I find the more womanly sizes are still available too. ;)

I got a $180 prom gown in June for my July cruise on Celebrity. It was $42! and I got tons of compliments on it from everyone.

Not sure this will help the op, but perhaps someone reading this thread will look into it.

I would recommend finding the roll call for your ship which is a great place to see what others are doing for their shore excursions and to get other ideas.

I would also visit the cruise line board where you can learn a great deal for the posts.

I wish you a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Need to start thinking about excursions and whether to book through the cruise site or privately. Really should try and find some book describing the ports and what there is to see if I can find one

I would recommend starting by looking under the Ports of Call section here on the forum. You'll get tons of information. Where are you going?

If you find an exursion you just have to do -- book it early -- if it doesn't matter just wait till on board -- the other advise is wonderful and the more you read the more you will learn. \

Remember that people wont know if you wear the same thing every day so... pack light and what you want.

The formal info was spot on -- what ever you want and will be comfortable in.

Have a great cruise -- be relaxed and flexible and this won't be your last.

I too am cruising for the first time in February with Celebrity. And was looking for answers to those exact questions! Thank you!! I know you are not allowed to bring an iron on board so I was worried about wrinkles. I'll keep the folding tips in mind as well as the steamy washroom. My other question was when they say no irons, does that include a hair straightener?? Does anyone know?

Archived