Help appreciated

DJSchib

Hi. We are first time cruisers and are so excited!! We will be celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary so looking forward to making some everlasting memories

Since winter is almost upon us here in Michigan, and summer clearance is cheap, what items should I be looking for as far as day to day wear, what is typical to wear in MDR, what is typical wear for formal nights (how formal is formal on the Celebrity)? More then one bathing suit and coverup? I haven't a clue and since summer merchandise will not be in our stores in February and I have lost weight, it's essential I find some things now if I can.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated

Thanks much

Debbie

Sundresses are very popular for dinner as well as during the day. I would pick up some capris and tops for warm days in port or on deck. If you want to go very formal you can but black dress pants and sparkly tops will work if that is what you want. If you plan on going swimming daily you might want two suits. You can never go wrong with a LBD - dress it up many different ways.

Shorts and swimsuits are the "outfit of the day".....very, very casual.

At dinner, men wear long pants and collared shirts. Women will be in capris, sundresses/skirts or slacks.

There will be cocktail dresses/gowns on "formal" nights....for hubby, a suit or tux. Some men will just wear a sportscoat. Totally up to you how "formal" you want to be.

All the summer clearance items in the stores here are over. In February, the stores should have some spring items. It is after Christmas and winter clearance items are on sale. You should be able to find some warm weather clothing.

Not where I live summer clothes are not out. The past two winters we have gone to Florida in the same timeframe and it was hard to find anything I have lost weight so old summer clothes do not fit. Might have to look online.

Thanks

The only real advice that I can offer is this...get pockets. LOL. But seriously, I found that I always preferred to wear something with pockets because all I really needed was my room key (it was a SeaPass card? on our cruise line)...and if I had a pocket that could hold that card, I was a happy camper in whatever I was wearing.

OH! I can also add...beware of random gusts of wind on board...I was wearing one of my fav skirts from Athleta with a totally handy zippered pocket in the small of the back area...and I was walking on deck and the wind just fully blew that skirt up and I flashed everyone within eyesight my unmentionables. *gasp* LOL. Seriously though...the constant breeze on board is something to keep in mind with whatever it is you choose.

Pockets. Wind. :D

(At least) Two swimsuits. One to wear while the other one is drying.

A great pair of basic black pants to wear with different tops on non-formal nights.

A wrap of some sort to wear over cocktail dress/formal in case the a/c is cold.

I tend to wear sundresses over swimsuits during the day and nice dresses at night. Dresses are pretty much my spring/summer wardrobe though. I wear bike shorts under mine if I'm not in a swimsuit and going up on deck to prevent any flashing! I would say have a minimum of two swimsuits so that one is always dry because I for one hate putting a damp suit on. Plus, I've had swimsuits break (luckily at home) and there is rarely a good selection on board if you need a new suit in a hurry.

Thanks for the wonderful tips. I agree pockets are great things and black pants would be ideal to change up with tops and not pack as much

Like the sundress idea over a bathing suit. Sure hope I can find some between now and February. Never been much of an online shopper not knowing how things will fit, but maybe I need to check some websites out! Great advice on biker shorts. Wouldn't want the whole world to see what's under my dress. Lol

Thanks again

Debbie

capris! I love to wear them instead of shorts - hate my knees I bring tops to mix and match with skirts.

Also Jockey makes some underpants like bike shorts that are great under dresses and I think they're cooler/lighter than bike shorts.

Totally agree with 2 swimsuits also

Thanks for asking this as I have no idea what to wear either. Does anyone wear maxi dresses on a cruise? I have several I've never worn but I have no idea if I should wear shorter dresses on a cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for asking this as I have no idea what to wear either. Does anyone wear maxi dresses on a cruise? I have several I've never worn but I have no idea if I should wear shorter dresses on a cruise.

Hi,:) I sail Celebrity all the time and yes, plenty of gals wear maxi

dresses:) Here is one I wore.....I am in the center. The dress is

black and white.

7278978278_5080840e2e_b.jpg

Lois photo pretty much sums up formal dress on Celebrity. The days of ball gowns/prom dresses are long gone. Be aware, no ladies wear shorts at MDR dinners. Coverups necessary for apres swim.

Hi,:) I wore that dress on a Smart Casual night. I have seen lots of

dresses much dressier than the one I wore in that photo. Actually,

the folks in the photo? We paid to attened a Special Dinner held in

Tuscan Grille on Equinox.

black and white.

Every one looks nice. You look great in the maxi dress. I just love black and white.

I saw a number of maxi dresses on my last cruise. I think they are perfect cruisewear and most can go casual or dressier.

Lois - I really like the one you have on in the picture. Too often I can only find ones that have lots of colors and wild patterns.

black and white.

Pretty dress! Thanks for the input. Was afraid everyone would be wearing the shorter dresses.

I saw a number of maxi dresses on my last cruise. I think they are perfect cruisewear and most can go casual or dressier.

Lois - I really like the one you have on in the picture. Too often I can only find ones that have lots of colors and wild patterns.

Thanks:)...I got it at SOMA.....besides undergarments and sleepwear,

they have some very pretty dresses too:D

We still get very dressed for formal nights, hubby wears a tux and I wear a formal dress. People go from one extreme to the other; however, they are right, in that shorts are not allowed. Most people at least stay business casual. The first night seems to be the biggest exception, usually because someone's luggage got lost or delayed getting to the room before the fire drill and an early dinner;)

I would look for tops that will all go with a pair of slim fitting black slacks. You can dress that one pair of slacks a dozens different ways. Look for sheer or crochet tops that you can put over a cami or tank top. Or maybe a sequined tank top. Add a pair of strappy black heels that can also double on formal night. You can make the same outfit look completely different by swapping out chunky fun jewelry for a pair of statement rhinestone earrings. I actually take two handbags for evening. One is a simple black leather clutch. The other is a beaded evening bag I've had for years. Neither take up a lot of room. Don't forget to look for a cute sundress that you can pull on over a swimsuit. You also need a light weight sweater or pashima that will go with your evening outfits. It can be chilly at night in the dining rooms.

Archived