Transport Costs

bfox13

Oceania Cruises offers transfers from airport to ship and ship to airport at an additional cost even when they make the air reservations. I think this is so wrong! We will be taking our first Oceania cruse in a few months and I hope this is not a bad sign of things to come. No other cruise line has ever charged us transport fees.

Even when we use O's air (which isn't often), we do our own transfers.

Yes, the ship transfers are expensive! And most of the time you can do it very easily on your own for less money.

If you have a long transfer -- say Rome Airport to Civitavecchia -- it may be worth paying for the transfer. But I cannot remember when we have done so.

If in areas where there are problems -- then you might want to pay up for the transfer. But in general you don't need to.

You didn't say which port you are arriving at so it's hard to say more ...

Mura

I am not aware of any free transfers on any cruise line - including the likes of Silversea.

Which cruise lines offered you free transfers?

Now, if you fly first or business on Etihad airlines , for example, you will get a "free" limo transfer .

My guess is the poster is referring to when you purchase your air through some cruise lines, river cruises, etc, they will include the transfer. This is not actually a free transfer, but all rolled together and included in the purchase of your air from the cruise line. More of a hidden cost than free.

For example, Viking quoted me air at $1395 plus $100 deviation fee, plus $200 from my city, for a total of $1700 in air plus free transfers to common European cities. That's no bargain, and a quick scan showed that I could come out spending far less on my own booking my own air and handling my own transfers.

My guess is the poster is referring to when you purchase your air through some cruise lines, river cruises, etc, they will include the transfer. This is not actually a free transfer, but all rolled together and included in the purchase of your air from the cruise line. More of a hidden cost than free.

For example, Viking quoted me air at $1395 plus $100 deviation fee, plus $200 from my city, for a total of $1700 in air plus free transfers to common European cities. That's no bargain, and a quick scan showed that I could come out spending far less on my own booking my own air and handling my own transfers.

You are correct - when the cruise line made the air reservations the transfers were included. Most of our cruises have been where the promotions were "Free Air". On this cruise (from Rio to Valparaiso) it was also a "Free Air" promotion but we were still charged $99.50 each both ways. I had assumed these were the transport fees.

You are correct - when the cruise line made the air reservations the transfers were included. Most of our cruises have been where the promotions were "Free Air". On this cruise (from Rio to Valparaiso) it was also a "Free Air" promotion but we were still charged $99.50 each both ways. I had assumed these were the transport fees.

It should have it listed in your invoice under "transfers" then the price

If you do not want them just ask your TA or Oceania to remove them

You may be able to get transfers cheaper than $200 each way ;)

Included with hotel packages (I know the hotels are expensive but...)

is transportation and porterage

I paid no Air Deviation fees -- good flights

Paid $99 & Upgraded to Economy Plus for transatlantic

For an inexperienced traveler like me, worked out great

Oceania Cruises offers transfers from airport to ship and ship to airport at an additional cost even when they make the air reservations. I think this is so wrong! We will be taking our first Oceania cruse in a few months and I hope this is not a bad sign of things to come. No other cruise line has ever charged us transport fees.

It's an option, no need for outrage. Just book your own transfer. I don't know why these things don't bother me like it does other people. You save money by booking your own, quite a bit actually. Where's the problem?

Agree with last two posters, it's almost always cheaper and more efficient to handle your own transfers.

Conversely, I can see where transfers have a value to a certain traveler. Anytime I am booking something for my mother and her sister, and I am not going to accompany them, I get the entire, comfortably wrapped up package, whatever it is - air, hotels, transfers, cruise - for simplicity in their travels.

We always make our own travel, transfer, hotel & excursion arrangements.

It takes little effort and like others have mentioned..you have control.

You can get excellent recommendations on CC from people who have been there done that. You can always share your transfers with persons from your RCall. The cost of a van divided by 4-6 pax is very inexpensive.

We booked our 1st O Air with deviation for an upcoming cruise and I

do NOT like leaving the travel details in the hands of others. I found the end results were satisfactory but the process was far more tedious.

The reasons why people choose O transfers, hotels etc..is if they are new to travel, or need a sense of security, or as in in Terry&Mikes case- for older persons, or if someone can't be bothered & money is no option. Spend the $$ you save on private tours and pre&post stays.

I think the OP was surprised to see the extra fee added

Now according to their statement they have never been (knowingly)charged transfer fees before

It was probably rolled into the bottom line

In Oceania's case they separate the charge on the invoice breakdown...

had it been roll up in the bottom line the OP would not be complaining :rolleyes:

Just how I see it

YMMV

Lyn

Anytime you buy anything from the cruise line other than your passage it's usually a rip off. This includes hotels, transfers etc.

Transfers, hotels, excursions, when done through the company are done by many who for what ever reason don't have the time, the inclination or the confidence to do things on their own. They want a full and complete package all neat and tidy done for them. And someone to take responsibility for them in total form start to finish.

You pay for people to research, book, arrange, coordinate and do a lot of leg work. Peoples time cost money; Phones, faxes, documents/paperwork/insurance etc.... .

If you take charge, do all the leg work and research then you save.

Plain and simple. As I said some are un willing to do so.

You can go get Burger for $16 at a restaurant, or go to the kitchen for $1.50 and make your own and clean up after . If you want to be served....you pay for that....

Remember, heat rises, water runs downhill and there is no free lunch:rolleyes:

I agree with all others that it is far better (and CHEAPER) to arrange your own hotels and transfers, even if you take Oceania's "free" air.

The only exceptions are ports like Civitavecchia and Valparaiso where the transfers are very long and can be expensive for just 2 people. In those places savvy travelers arrange to share the cost with fellow cruisers on CC Roll Call.

I hope this helps.

Barbara:

Which airport are you flying out of? O's "free air" is only free from major hubs. If we use their air, we are charged $99.50 per person in both directions because we require an extra flight. That may be what you are looking at. It is not for ground transportation. It is for air transportation. That said, their ground transportation is expensive. See the Roll Call. I responded to your message there.

Marilyn

is not free transfer.... It was, as oceana has offered on several cruises where it was "Free Air" and " Free Transfer". As Offered many other times in it is" Free air" period. Same with Laundry, internet, visas, Gratuities...

If it aint on the menu you aint gonn'a get it..... Like buying a car with lots of options if you don't get the extras in the contract the dealer is not going to give them to you... its not a charity operation, Kimo Sabe

Other then booking cruises, I am my own best TA for everything else :D

I use agents for cruises only because they have price access and the best access to the cruise lines. For everything else a confident and well informed traveler can do far better on their own... Cars, Hotels, airlines :o:cool:,Restaurants , tours...... The less mouths in the chain to feed the larger the portion you receive.

I disagree. Yes, you can book all those things on your own but a good TA will have a relationship with the hotel, get you upgrades and amenities you cannot get on your own, intervene if there is a problem, etc. And it feeds no more mouths than if you book yourself.

I disagree. Yes, you can book all those things on your own but a good TA will have a relationship with the hotel, get you upgrades and amenities you cannot get on your own, intervene if there is a problem, etc. And it feeds no more mouths than if you book yourself.

However, in my case I have a long term 30 year relation with several hotel chains car rental, and airlines which grant me all sorts of "thank you" recognitions that few travel agents can get. Upgrades and more are thus common without asking...

My travel for fun and business is similar , I would guess, to Pauls, and in our case our experience and knowledge of world travel far exceeds most agents by far knowing not only what to do but how to!:rolleyes:

Archived