Specialty Shows

RDMOREU

Our cruise on the Marina 12-08-13 shows 3 specialty shows. Is there any way PRIOR to the sailing to find out which one will occur on which night? Or, if not, when we board will we be able to get that information? TIA

We tend not to be that interested in the show so we don't worry about advance notice BUT my guess is that you don't get that.

However, once on board you receive the "Daily Currents" every night which gives you information about the next day's activities. And there you will find information about the entertainment as well as many other activities -- e.g., the daily two for one drink in the bars, lectures (if any), the port agent information (assuming you are leaving the ship), and so on.

There is pretty much an hourly depiction of just what activities are available.

Including meal times in all the restaurants.

You have read all the posts about how entertainment generally isn't all that hot on Oceania? We are classical types and so we don't care for many of the acts we see, but we have seen a number that we did enjoy. It does depend on your interests.

Just don't expect too much!

Mura

We were aboard Marina for the Baltic Odyssey sailing and I just happen to have my "Currents" in the file here in my study. I don't know how much will remain the same for your sailing, but some of the more production type shows run for a while.

So, here is what we had:

8/24 - movie Bourne Supremacy (we were in port overnight)

8/25 - Production show - Bon Voyage

8/26 - Captain's Cocktail Celebration with pre-dinner show with pianist Alexey Filimonov; movie at 9 PM

8/27 - Vocalist Margaret Lynn (Country & Western)

8/28 - Movie - From Russia with Love; (again overnight port)

8/29 - Production show - Groovin'

8/30 - Magic & Mentalisim of Mio (magician)

8/31 - Pianist Liana Forest "Moscow to Manhattan"

9/1 - Production show - Con Molto

9/2 - No formal show since many were packing or off of ship (we sailed at 9 PM). Fiesta Band performed sets titled "Save the Last Dance for Me"

This gives you an idea of what to expect. You may very well see one or more of the Marina production shows mentioned above. But there are no guarantees.

Hope this helped.:) Enjoy your cruise!

The production show "Con Molto" is pretty good if you like more "legitimate" music. "Bon Voyage" is loosely oriented to Broadway, and "Groovin' " is 60's rock, not bad. The shows stay the same, the cast varies. Those on Marina (and the R ships) are by Gary Musick Productions; the shows on Riviera are by the Jean Ann Ryan singers and dancers, and include an Andrew Lloyd Weber show that we enjoy.

All of the other entertainment on Oceania is Cabaret-style; comedians, magicians, instrumentalists, singers, etc. Most of it is pretty good, in our opinion. In well over 150 nights on Oceania we have missed no more than 3 or 4 shows, all due to long dinners.

The production show "Con Molto" is pretty good if you like more "legitimate" music. "Bon Voyage" is loosely oriented to Broadway, and "Groovin' " is 60's rock, not bad. The shows stay the same, the cast varies. Those on Marina (and the R ships) are by Gary Musick Productions; the shows on Riviera are by the Jean Ann Ryan singers and dancers, and include an Andrew Lloyd Weber show that we enjoy.

All of the other entertainment on Oceania is Cabaret-style; comedians, magicians, instrumentalists, singers, etc. Most of it is pretty good, in our opinion. In well over 150 nights on Oceania we have missed no more than 3 or 4 shows, all due to long dinners.

Wow, you are show-going fools, aren't you? So what is your opinion of Jean Ann Ryan versus the others. I'm used to the Jean Ann Ryan from Regent, and I've never been terribly impressed although the performers are all young, talented and enthusiastic.

And I must ask, what do you mean by "legitimate" music? Classical?

Wow, you are show-going fools, aren't you? So what is your opinion of Jean Ann Ryan versus the others. I'm used to the Jean Ann Ryan from Regent, and I've never been terribly impressed although the performers are all young, talented and enthusiastic.

And I must ask, what do you mean by "legitimate" music? Classical?

"Legitimate" is the term used by our music-major daughter to describe anything not country, folk, rock or marching. Mostly classical, including operatic, orchestral, cantatas, wind symphony, instrumental, and classics like some Broadway music. It's more broad than just what we commonly term "classical" and in her mind probably includes anything that takes extensive training to accomplish, rather than screaming, shouting, twanging and strumming.

Personally, I do think the Jean Ann Ryan productions are better than Gary Musick, but that opinion is as subjective as those about food. While I enjoy all of the entertainment, the production shows are my least favorite, much preferring the cabaret shows.

I just returned from a cruise on another line on which the entertainment is reputed to be better, and I found the levels to be much the same as Oceania, except the production cast had a few more dancers. They had a magician and aerialists better than I've seen on Oceania, but they also had a has-been singer, a so-called violin "diva" who was terrible and a comedian whose shtick was to wave his hand over his head for all the so-called jokes he told that got no laughs. His arm got tired... The rest of the shows where on oar with Oceania, with one comedian we had previously seen on O.

I'm not sure where Oceania got the reputation of poor entertainment. Certainly there are no fancy circuses or blue men, but the ships simply don't have those kinds of facilities. There seems to be a sort of reverse snobbery in effect when some people describe Oceania entertainment. All I know is the theaters are almost always full, and it's a good thing some people don't go as there aren't enough seats for everyone.

Maybe the folks who DO go are too easily amused, but at the actual shows there are often standing ovations.

Well thanks for the explanation, Don. In our case we're mostly just too tired, and would prefer to hang out in a piano bar after dinner chatting and listening to a bit of music. And part of it is that David hates anything that smacks of show tunes or broadway; such music he would definitely not characterize as "legitimate" (except for Gershwin and Cole Porter.) Where does your daughter place jazz?

"Legitimate" is the term used by our music-major daughter to describe anything not country, folk, rock or marching. Mostly classical, including operatic, orchestral, cantatas, wind symphony, instrumental, and classics like some Broadway music. It's more broad than just what we commonly term "classical" and in her mind probably includes anything that takes extensive training to accomplish, rather than screaming, shouting, twanging and strumming.

Speaking for myself, as a singer, when people used to ask me what "kind" of singer I was, I often said "legit". Which can also mean someone who has been trained to sing opera, lieder, and the like. Many Broadway singers of yore were trained this way, too. These days "pop" singers have a very different sound from, say, Shirley Jones or Kelli O'Hara.

Mura

Speaking for myself, as a singer, when people used to ask me what "kind" of singer I was, I often said "legit". Which can also mean someone who has been trained to sing opera, lieder, and the like. Many Broadway singers of yore were trained this way, too. These days "pop" singers have a very different sound from, say, Shirley Jones or Kelli O'Hara.

Mura

So you mean a singer with a trained voice, as opposed to someone who just decides they have a nice voice and start singing. That makes sense. I remember a singer friend of mine who was taking voice lessons from a respectable voice coach--he referred to her as a "belter". Great voice, still though.

...And part of it is that David hates anything that smacks of show tunes or broadway; such music he would definitely not characterize as "legitimate" (except for Gershwin and Cole Porter.) Where does your daughter place jazz?

When I mentioned "some" Broadway, I guess I was thinking of things like "Porgy and Bess", which can almost be characterized as American opera, and "West Side Story".

As for jazz, I think she places it by itself. Good jazz takes real talent, primarily for improvisation, and many fabulously talented jazz players have not been classically trained. As a high school music teacher, she teaches jazz classes and her jazz bands have fared well in competition.

My personal tastes are anything classified as classical, 60's folk music, anything by John Philip Sousa, most Renaissance and some Baroque, a limited amount of jazz, and almost anything by Philip Glass. The closest Oceania comes to most of it is by the string quartets, which I love.

Thank you to everyone who responded! I'm hoping that Groovin' with 60's rock might include some Four Tops or Temptation music.

Motown has their own Musical these days, as do the Four Seasons (as the Jersey Boys) so Groovin' makes due with the Beach Boys and the Mammas & the Poppas.

Really, good shows isn't going to happen on "O". Just take your time have a nice drink before dinner, than take your time at dinner. Just sit back and enjoy the night. After dinner go to the lounge or bar and meet a few nice people. You'll have a great night!

Rick

Really, good shows isn't going to happen on "O". Just take your time have a nice drink before dinner, than take your time at dinner. Just sit back and enjoy the night. After dinner go to the lounge or bar and meet a few nice people. You'll have a great night!

Rick

As the saying goes - to each their own.

You enjoy your drinks - I'll take my chances with the shows :D

We don't really hit the bars after dinner (!) but we also don't go to every show. Those that appeal to us, we do ... and if we decide we don't like them -- we leave!

But we do like leisurely dinners ...

To each his own.

Mura

Archived