Park Cafe To Go Items for shore excursions

I wonder can I take those salads they prepare to go with sandwiches and take it with me on a shore excursion or just to have a picnic off the ship?

At the Promenade Cafe I did not see any sign about these items are to be enjoyed onboard only.

Thanks

I wonder can I take those salads they prepare to go with sandwiches and take it with me on a shore excursion or just to have a picnic off the ship?

At the Promenade Cafe I did not see any sign about these items are to be enjoyed onboard only.

Thanks

It probably depends on the port. Oftentimes, there is an issue carrying food to any other country. However, I have brought a banana and granola bar with me and had no problems.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably wait and ask when I was on the ship. Go down and ask the security that is working at the time you want to leave. If they say they have no problem with it, then go up and get whatever you want for your picnic. It never hurts to ask.

It has nothing to do with the security personnel of the ship. It has to do with the customs personnel of the country you are going ashore into. But if you are going into a foreign country you should NEVER take perishable food items of any kind ashore - you can run the risk of huge fines -and deservedly so.

It has nothing to do with the security personnel of the ship. It has to do with the customs personnel of the country you are going ashore into. But if you are going into a foreign country you should NEVER take perishable food items of any kind ashore - you can run the risk of huge fines -and deservedly so.
Some cruise lines will pack box lunches for you to take ashore. RCI just doesn't want to bother with it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Some cruise lines will pack box lunches for you to take ashore. RCI just doesn't want to bother with it.

Sorry, but no they won't. And it doesn't matter which cruise line.

Virtually all ports (including ones in the US) won't allow fresh foods to be brought off the ship. And while some will use the word rule it's local LAW and you can be fined (sometimes quite heavily) if you try. There will be a notice in the ship's daily schedule as to what's allowed and usually announcements will be made before folks start going off the ship. And once off the ship there will be trash cans full of stuff that the people who couldn't read or follow directions have left.

It has to do with the possibility of bringing insects/pests on shore. While that apple might look ok there could be eggs in the core. Australia and New Zealand are especially strict - you can't even take packaged items into New Zealand (2 small islands with a delicate ecosystem).

My very nieve sister was stunned when she insisted that if she brought food on the ship she should be able to take it off when we disembarked. She is honest so when customs asked if she had any fruits or nuts she said "Yes, the trail mix I brought on the ship. She was then wisked away to a side room and it was confiscated and the rest of her luggage searched. Now she believes me. :D I know this situation is a bit different. I also have only seen fruit/food sniffing dogs is in the US ports.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Thanks

almost certainly no you will NOT be permitted to take those off. only factory sealed items like the mini cereal boxes.

It probably depends on the port. Oftentimes, there is an issue carrying food to any other country. However, I have brought a banana and granola bar with me and had no problems.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably wait and ask when I was on the ship. Go down and ask the security that is working at the time you want to leave. If they say they have no problem with it, then go up and get whatever you want for your picnic. It never hurts to ask.

The Ships Security is not the appropriate authority in this matter.

The issue with taking food off the ship is a matter specific to each country's agriculture customs regulations. NO food that is not contained in a factory sealed package can be taken off the ship as it's a agriculture customs violation. The only food in the Park Café that qualifies as being packaged in a factory sealed package the Frito Lay Potato chips served in the afternoon. All other food and fruit items are prohibited and can be confiscated. There are generally customs agents with dogs waling around most ports.

When we got off in ports they looked in each bag to make sure no food items were being taken off. There was a whole bin full of bananas at the side. Common sense should tell you not to take this stuff into another country....:eek:

Serious ecological and economic harm can and does happen because of the introduction of non-native species. Google "1989 California Medfly" as just one example.

Travelers are guests in other countries and must abide by local agricultural and other laws. Eat before you leave the ship and/or consider supporting the local economy by buying a snack or meal in port.

almost certainly no you will NOT be permitted to take those off. only factory sealed items like the mini cereal boxes.

The small pre packaged cereal boxes from the Windjammer are perfect especially if you are travelling with children who tend to get hungry just after you've passed the last place to get food. We always grab a couple of those prior to heading off the ship.

It has to do with the possibility of bringing insects/pests on shore. While that apple might look ok there could be eggs in the core. Australia and New Zealand are especially strict - you can't even take packaged items into New Zealand (2 small islands with a delicate ecosystem).

Been to Australia and New Zealand three times, the most recent in 2011. Have never had a problem bringing in pre-packaged food items.

Since my husband is diabetic, we always travel with per-packaged food items, like cookies, crackers, dried fruits and candy bars.

The small pre packaged cereal boxes from the Windjammer are perfect especially if you are travelling with children who tend to get hungry just after you've passed the last place to get food. We always grab a couple of those prior to heading off the ship.

I do, too. They make a perfect snack if we are away all day. We are not big fans of eating local food (except Paris.....oooh, la la!!), so it's nice to have a snack with us.

Hubby will take a packaged candy bar with him sometimes.

In Europe we took some protein bars we had brought from home on our shore excursions. It saved me while walking up the acropolis as lunch was offered very late in our day. If we are doing our own thing we do not bother as we have control when we eat. No picnic lunch off the ship allowed.

We've seen bins with fruit in it almost every time we get off in a port. Those that think rules never apply to them will continue to sneak stuff off. They'll justify it by saying what difference will one banana, apple, etc make? Well, it's not your one, it's all the "ones" that try to do it.

What cruise lines are those that would knowingly violate local agricultural laws prohibiting passengers from taking food off the ship? :confused:

What cruise lines are those that would knowingly violate local agricultural laws prohibiting passengers from taking food off the ship? :confused:

On an RCI Tour to Tulum, back in 1998, we were supplied with a box lunch on the bus back to the ferry. It consisted of a chicken sandwich, chips, cookies and a cold drink. The chips, cookies and cold drink were US products. I assumed the lunch came from the ship, not locally packaged.

Archived