Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

Hopefully those sailing the Eastern itinerary will provide some feedback on their return.

ken

This week (11/3) the Allure is on it's western route, but there are a few people who have posted to this thread that will be on the 11/10 eastern route that have said they will try to keep us updated once aboard.

Thanks in advance to those that are able to do that.

This week (11/3) the Allure is on it's western route, but there are a few people who have posted to this thread that will be on the 11/10 eastern route that have said they will try to keep us updated once aboard.

I am loading Taptalk on my phone right now. I won't have the Wifi package but will try to report what we find out as long as I have service.

Edited by lvstitch

Unfortunately, if a drydock is needed after all, you can't just call up Drydocks-R-Us and send the ship in a week later, especially a 225,000 GRT big boy. Facilities able to handle the big uns are scheduled years in advance.

Supposedly, the bearings can be fixed by somebody crawling into the pod while the ship sits docked in water?

RCI should be more open about this, we are in the internet and smartphone era now.

Unfortunately, if a drydock is needed after all, you can't just call up Drydocks-R-Us and send the ship in a week later, especially a 225,000 GRT big boy. Facilities able to handle the big uns are scheduled years in advance.

Supposedly, the bearings can be fixed by somebody crawling into the pod while the ship sits docked in water?

RCI should be more open about this, we are in the internet and smartphone era now.

They can take it to the Navy Drydock in Newport News (If it's empty) they just can't scheduled it years in advanc as Navy ships take priority.

I certainly agree with you, but it does look like RCI is going to great pains and holding the cards real close to their chest. I just think back that we still don't know what was the cause of the fire on the Grandeur, or how the Jewel managed to hit an overhead electric cable in the Faroe Islands that sent a crewman to the hospital. So I really wonder how much candor we can expect on a maintenance issue beyond the "does not affect safety blah blah..."

Edited by BillB48

She is at 16 knots now.

Thanks.

The boys in Miami must certainly be doing the maths of sending her to dry dock soon.

If that 16 knots gets slower as time goes by it will be a slow trip across the pond if she goes to Rotterdam. Plus at a time of the year that is well known for bumpy seas.

Yes bottom line at this point, short of any formal official updates from RCI in the next few days, the big key will be hearing back from folks on next week's eastern trip. If things are still in delay-mode on that cruise, then I think all of us on 11/24 and beyond should think about planning accordingly. I'm going to call my TA's excursion department (through which I booked our Nassau Blue Lagoon excursion) and see what my plan of attack should be going forward. In the meantime its all about crossing our fingers :rolleyes:

Have we heard from anyone who got bck last Sunday from the eastern run?

All,

We just got off the Allure today. Yes, we left Bahamas early (all aboard 12:30). Arrival in St. Thomas was 11:00 and all aboard 6:30. The curious thing was we did daylight savings time between the two stops. All room and ship clocks turned back an hour. But items that were in your event planner prior now showed up an hour later (7:30 dinner rather than the scheduled 6:30). I saw many people missing shows because they trusted their onscreen planner only to be told that the show started nearly an hour prior. This only got worse on Friday when their manipulation of daylight savings caused every room's interactive TV (and planner) to go into a reboot loop for 12 hours. When I called, maintenance said it was the daylight savings thing that caused it.

Captain's Corner was interesting. First question: are we not able to travel at full speed? Hem, haw, basically something mechanically not allowing full speed. But nothing wrong. Thus the shortened port stops and the odd placement of daylight savings. Next question: how often does a ship like this need to go into dry dock? Designed and required to go in after 5 years so 2015. Also means no swapping with Oasis as her date is also fixed at 5 years.

I have ridden on Voyager class 4 times and smaller RCI ships prior. I could feel this boat move especially on the two sea day heading back to FLL. Number of pods is one thing. Stabilizers are different. Captain Johnney was asked when they were used (probably a reference to the pitching I felt over the prior days). He said they are used fully during ice shows and diving shows but using them does affect overall speed. Given that the Allure was not meeting full speed on her tight Eastern route it seems likely they were not on due to their speed penalty.

So we got fewer answers than the last Eastern route in that they did not tell everyone that there was a speed issue. They tried to use daylight savings to their advantage and it blew up in their face. It screwed up everyone's calendar and eventually crashed the entire TV system for 12 hours. I was not impressed. And I let them know on my survey.

This was our first cruise on Oasis class and we were both Wowed. There were so many aspects of this cruise we truly loved. But I am concerned with the way RCI is handling this situation.

Tony

Yes.

This is the email response I got from RCCL when I contracted rthen about the problems on Allure and the shortening of our stay in Nassau and in St. Thomas, The letter was directed to me personally so I am sure it wasn't a form letter but was glad to at least get a reply,

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response. More customers than ever before are choosing the convenience of email as their primary mode of communication. As a result, the turnaround time for responses has increased. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

We are sorry for any disappointment experienced due to our decision to modify your sailing's itinerary. The Allure of the Seas currently has a small restriction on her top speed. All equipment is fully operational and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew. However, it has been necessary to make some minor adjustments to Allure's eastern itinerary. The ship will depart Nassau, Bahamas at 1:00 pm instead of 2:00 pm. Additionally, the ship will arrive into St. Thomas at 11:00 am instead of 10:00 am. As the brochures and Cruise Ticket Contract reflect, we may have to change the ship's itinerary under specific circumstances. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

While onboard, you may enjoy many of the innovative features of the Allure of the Seas. For action and adventure, you can try one of the two FlowRider surf simulators, the zip line that will speed you across the ship nine stories in the air, or one our signature rock climbing wall. You can challenge your family on the full size basketball court, in the ice-skating rink, or at mini-golf. These are all included in the price of your cruise fare. If you are looking for relaxation, treat yourself royally in the full-service Vitality Spa; enjoy one of the four pools or ten whirlpools, two of which overlook the ocean. You can enjoy a hot dog on the Boardwalk or a pleasant walk through Central Park.

Mrs. Laminsky, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. As a Gold member with our Crown & Anchor Society, we value your loyalty and appreciate this opportunity to respond to your concerns. The Crown & Anchor Society was created to show how much we appreciate you by offering recognition programs, members-only benefits, and valued rewards. We truly look forward to welcoming you onboard the Allure of the Seas.

Sincerely,

Molly Elliott

Customer Service Representative

I will be on the 10/10 cruise on Allure and will update as I will have internet I also reported fiurther fown this thread the letter I received from RCCL when i questioned the pblms with Allure-- never the less I am truly excited about this cruise= we have done Mariner when it was the largest ship, and Also Freedom when it was the largest and cant wait for Sunday to experience the Allure

Well, I just spoke with my Certified Vacation Planner "Errol" at RCI 10 mins ago. He said he was aware of the issue and that it has apparently been rectified. So we'll have to see in the near future if this is true.

Edited by ButterBeanMcGee

Well, I just spoke with my Certified Vacation Planner "Errol" at RCI 10 mins ago. He said he was aware of the issue and that it has apparently been rectified. So we'll have to see in the near future if this is true.

If that was true you would think they would have Adam making a statement "All is back to normal. Full speed on this Sunday's Eastern Caribbean on Allure of the Seas."

If that was true you would think they would have Adam making a statement "All is back to normal. Full speed on this Sunday's Eastern Caribbean on Allure of the Seas."

You would think yeah! But who knows, I was probably one of thousands being told the same thing. Upper management has been known to tell customer service and crew to lie about this too.

see my letter I posted just now with the email I received from RCCL about Allure

Your letter had more fluff and incorrect info (the Nassau and St Thomas delays are reportedly more than indicated) than mine. Mine was responded to the same day and was actually more personal and basically said they were investigating all the aspects of the situation and would let us all know when they have a total resolution. There was a "hint" of potential progress in the next week or so, but nothing to make book on. At least they didn't play the "Cruise Contract" card!

Based on the response to my letter, Errol is a flaming liar (or not well informed). Hopefully we'll get some solid info wrt actual delays and specific impact on excursions from the next Eastern sailing.

ken

Edited by Ken076

Interesting tidbit:

Just called Royal to check on any updates, as we sail in May, and final payment is in February, so, if the issue was ongoing...we would cancel and book the Oasis...

And the representative told me "it was an isolated incident that ONLY effected the Oct 27th sailing"

I thought it was shady

I am also booked for May but I won't change to the Oasis since she be going into dry dock for renovations in October, I never go on a ship that is scheduled for dry dock just months afterwards. I try to choose ships that just came out of renovation/dry dock within the past two years, Allure goes in fall 2015 so she be pretty clean for me. I rather go on a slower ship, miss few hours in ports and have cleaner updated ship. Just something for you to consider.

I am also booked for May but I won't change to the Oasis since she be going into dry dock for renovations in October, I never go on a ship that is scheduled for dry dock just months afterwards. I try to choose ships that just came out of renovation/dry dock within the past two years, Allure goes in fall 2015 so she be pretty clean for me. I rather go on a slower ship, miss few hours in ports and have cleaner updated ship. Just something for you to consider.

This really doesn't make any sense. Especially not for allure and oasis. I've sailed both. I'll be on oasis again at the end of the month and again next year after she comes out of dry dock as I'll be bringing back home to ft lauderdale. Oasis and allure to the customer look visually the same. The 5 year update will be more things that are unseen to the average customer that need to be replaced or repaired. Along with fresh paint for below the water line.