Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

That doesn't sound right, sounds to me that she has rocking issues, would like to hear from others, their opinions and experiences.

I have never felt either the Allure or Oasis "rock", movement of the ship is a side to side sliding motion. When I asked the Captain about it, he said it is because the two ships are so tall in the water that they are adversely affected by the wind.

The highest seas I've been in on either was 10-12 feet but we did have 40 knot relative winds on the Allure (that is when she started pronounced sliding side to side).

That doesn't sound right, sounds to me that she has rocking issues, would like to hear from others, their opinions and experiences.

I was on the Eastern Itinerary at the end of April and we had enough movement that they had to cancel and reschedule the Oceanaria show that night. That was the night of the captains reception after leaving Nassau. She seemed to roll from side to side most of the night, but it rocked me to sleep. It seemed to have settled down the next day. But we had to slow down and got into St. Thomas a half hour late, but we departed a half hour later to make up for it. There was a little movement again near the Bahamas returning back to Ft. Lauderdale. I didn't find the movement too bothersome really.

I've been on that class 3 times and thought they were the smoothest riding ships I have ever been on.

But the fact remains, they are ships. They are subject to the weather. Given the right conditions, they will pitch and roll, and the higher up you are, the more you'll feel it. Stabilizers only dampen the rolling, not prevent it. Given the width of the ship, the hull is almost its own stabilizer. I have a feeling when people talk about the movement, it may have something to do with expecting less or no movement due to the massive size., or they just had specific conditions they didn't encounter on other ships.

By the way, slower speed doesn't always mean more movement. Higher speeds can do it also.

Edited by Aquahound

I've been on that class 3 times and thought they were the smoothest riding ships I have ever been on.

But the fact remains, they are ships. They are subject to the weather. Given the right conditions, they will pitch and roll, and the higher up you are, the more you'll feel it. Stabilizers only dampen the rolling, not prevent it. Given the width of the ship, the hull is almost its own stabilizer. I have a feeling when people talk about the movement, it may have something to do with expecting less or no movement due to the massive size., or they just had specific conditions they didn't encounter on other ships.

By the way, slower speed doesn't always mean more movement. Higher speeds can do it also.

Paul, you are probably correct but I've always had trouble with the concept that higher you are the more you'll feel the ship movement. Seems like the movement will feel longer and slower on the higher decks and shorter and quicker on the lower decks.

Paul, you are probably correct but I've always had trouble with the concept that higher you are the more you'll feel the ship movement. Seems like the movement will feel longer and slower on the higher decks and shorter and quicker on the lower decks.

Hi Pete. Best way to display it, stand a pencil on its eraser and sway it side to side, do circular motions, etc. Look how different the movement is at the tip, compared to the eraser. Granted, this isn't an exact representation to the shape of a ship, but it gives you the picture. :)

Yeah no one can blame the movement of the ship on the azipod issue... I have spent 5 weeks between Oasis and Allure and have always felt movement, let it be the rocking motion or the pitching... Just depends on the person of course on how much it truly affects them. It is a ship, a very tall one at that, and it is not invincible to mother nature's forces...

Hi Pete. Best way to display it, stand a pencil on its eraser and sway it side to side, do circular motions, etc. Look how different the movement is at the tip, compared to the eraser. Granted, this isn't an exact representation to the shape of a ship, but it gives you the picture. :)
Kind of a poor example as a ship rotates about its center of gravity and not its keel. So the closer to the CG you are the less motion there is. Edited by FLACRUISER99

Kind of a poor example as a ship rotates about its center of gravity and not its keel. So the closer to the CG you are the less motion there is.

It wasn't meant to be literal.....just an example. I don't expect everyone to understand metacentric height and movement, so I just used a kindergarden reference. ;)

On Allure now, just docked (5:30 a..m.), resisting getting out of bed yet.

A waiter (admittedly, hardly the best source) told us Allure and Oasis are switching their dry dock schedules due to what he called "the engine problem." He said all crew were informed its Allure in 2014 and Oasis in 2015.

We usually sailed at about 15 knots, never saw much above 19.

Lots of very noticeable forward and backward rocking, very very visible in the pools. Lots of people commented. I rather liked the feeling.

Renae,

No changes in western (which I'm technically still on ... got breakfast in Windjammer but now I'm back hiding in bed), but others have reported time changes for the eastern.

Isn't Allure scheduled back in port each Sunday at 4:45 a.m. Both last Sunday (when I eagerly watched from Embassy Suites) and today (as I hide under the covers dreading the view of the pier out my balcony door) she didn't arrive until about 5:15 a.m.

A waiter (admittedly, hardly the best source) told us Allure and Oasis are switching their dry dock schedules due to what he called "the engine problem." He said all crew were informed its Allure in 2014 and Oasis in 2015.

Lots of very noticeable forward and backward rocking, very very visible in the pools. Lots of people commented. I rather liked the feeling.

If this info is true it will be interesting to see how RC handles this...

Edited by A&L_Ont

The answer may have already been posted to my question but I'm trying to avoid reading hundreds of comments. To anyone coming off Allure, was the itinerary altered at all and were times in port the same? Thanks

The Allure is returning today from the Western itinerary where there have not been any issues with speed of the ship or length of stay in the ports. It is only on the Eastern itin where there are problems due to leaving Nassau early and arriving in St. Maarten a little late. Hopefully we will know something this afternoon from those who are boarding today. The suspense builds......

Interesting.....if this is true.

What month is Oasis scheduled to go to dry dock 2014? I thought Allure wasn't scheduled until 2016?

Edited by Brandonclan

The Allure is returning today from the Western itinerary where there have not been any issues with speed of the ship or length of stay in the ports. It is only on the Eastern itin where there are problems due to leaving Nassau early and arriving in St. Maarten a little late. Hopefully we will know something this afternoon from those who are boarding today. The suspense builds......

They arrive late is St Thomas, not St Maarten.

Posts 541 & 543 are from a cruiser just about to disembark today from a Western sailing with their feedback. It will be interesting to see what we hear from Eastern cruisers over the next few days.

Yes it will be interesting. I'm on Alllure doing Eastern in January. I'm gutted that there are issues! We are flying in from Australia for our once in a life time Caribbean holiday and we don't want to miss a second at the ports as it'll be highly unlikely I'll ever get back to this part of the world. Holding my breath waiting to hear about the eastern leaving today!

No good deed goes unpunished. :D

No, Gregg, it never does...not on CC!

The answer may have already been posted to my question but I'm trying to avoid reading hundreds of comments. To anyone coming off Allure, was the itinerary altered at all and were times in port the same? Thanks

Someone is doing a Live thread from Allure and they are embarking today on the Eastern route. If you haven't seen it already, you might want to subscribe.

Interesting.....if this is true.

What month is Oasis scheduled to go to dry dock?

It is while they are in Europe in September/October 2014.

I am not sure how this would work in relation to the 5 years dry dock "rule", as this could push Oasis back to 6 years. That all depends on when she goes to her new dry dock of course. Maybe a more seasoned cruiser could input if this goes against some sort of Maritime law if it is more than 5 years? Aquahound, you might have the answer?

Edited by A&L_Ont
Sp

No, Gregg, it never does...not on CC!

Someone is doing a Live thread from Allure and they are embarking today on the Eastern route. If you haven't seen it already, you might want to subscribe.

Thanks. I tried doing a search but didn't see anything. I'm new to all of this. What tab would it be under?

We leave on the 24th so this is the last eastern itinerary before we leave- would love to hear from you guys aboard when you dock and when you need to be aboard so I can plan excursions accordingly. thanks

also do you guys know- do they still run the Prohobition special event- it was great last year and curious if they still do it.