Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

On Allure now, just docked (5:30 a..m.), resisting getting out of bed yet.

A waiter (admittedly, hardly the best source) told us Allure and Oasis are switching their dry dock schedules due to what he called "the engine problem." He said all crew were informed its Allure in 2014 and Oasis in 2015.

We usually sailed at about 15 knots, never saw much above 19.

Lots of very noticeable forward and backward rocking, very very visible in the pools. Lots of people commented. I rather liked the feeling.

It is while they are in Europe in September/October 2014.

I am not sure how this would work in relation to the 5 years dry dock "rule", as this could push Oasis back to 6 years. That all depends on when she goes to her new dry dock of course. Maybe a more seasoned cruiser could input if this goes against some sort of Maritime law if it is more than 5 years? Aquahound, you might have the answer?

Was wondering the same thing. I thought the 5 year rule was fairly rigid. Also how would they accommodate all people already booked... Just do a switch of all reservations?

It is while they are in Europe in September/October 2014.

I am not sure how this would work in relation to the 5 years dry dock "rule", as this could push Oasis back to 6 years. That all depends on when she goes to her new dry dock of course. Maybe a more seasoned cruiser could input if this goes against some sort of Maritime law if it is more than 5 years? Aquahound, you might have the answer?

Thanks for you post.

Never knew how they determined when and where a ship gets re-furbished.

Sea Ya

Yes it will be interesting. I'm on Alllure doing Eastern in January. I'm gutted that there are issues! We are flying in from Australia for our once in a life time Caribbean holiday and we don't want to miss a second at the ports as it'll be highly unlikely I'll ever get back to this part of the world. Holding my breath waiting to hear about the eastern leaving today!

As I understand things about a half hour is cut from St Thomas and an hour from Nassau.

The time in Nassau is perhaps not sufficient for a snorkeling excursion, but in January that's an iffy proposition in any case. Other than that, most of the historic sights are within a half hour's walk of the cruise terminal and the shopping district is all around the terminal.

Regardless of the length of time in St Thomas one generally leaves feeling that it is insufficient. There is just so much to do and see. A half hour won't really impact excursions. What is bothering many on this thread is the fact that booking private excursions is made more difficult by the situation.

Was wondering the same thing. I thought the 5 year rule was fairly rigid. Also how would they accommodate all people already booked... Just do a switch of all reservations?

I would think just a straight ship swap? They might be able get Oasis into the large US Navy dry dock next fall after Allure would return to fulfill the 5 year review. I too thought the 5 years rule was strict.

That would throw a wrench into one of the two ships routes next fall when Oasis would go to dry dock. Heck if we are throwing everything out for thought, reposition Quantum if possible. Actually would Anthem be ready by then? Neither of those ships would hold the capacity of the Oasis class though.

All just theory I made up from, a comment that came from a waiter. Isn't CC fun:D

I would think just a straight ship swap? They might be able get Oasis into the large US Navy dry dock next fall after Allure would return to fulfill the 5 year review. I too thought the 5 years rule was strict.

That would throw a wrench into one of the two ships routes next fall when Oasis would go to dry dock. Heck if we are throwing everything out for thought, reposition Quantum if possible. Actually would Anthem be ready by then? Neither of those ships would hold the capacity of the Oasis class though.

All just theory I made up from, a comment that came from a waiter. Isn't CC fun:D

We will just have to wait till we hear back from the bartender by the pool for confirmation.:D

We will just have to wait till we hear back from the bartender by the pool for confirmation.:D

We are on Oasis next week and are hoping to catch up with a friend that is a senior officer. Perhaps we might get a bit more reliable info about Oasis' dry dock then.

Not as much as speculation.;)

That doesn't sound right, sounds to me that she has rocking issues, would like to hear from others, their opinions and experiences.
Actually it sounds exactly right, Allure has no more "rocking" issues than any other ship at sea in RCL or any other cruise lines fleet.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah no one can blame the movement of the ship on the azipod issue... I have spent 5 weeks between Oasis and Allure and have always felt movement, let it be the rocking motion or the pitching... Just depends on the person of course on how much it truly affects them. It is a ship, a very tall one at that, and it is not invincible to mother nature's forces...
Hopefully the uninformed see your post and move on....K.O.;)....soon to be weeks 8 and 9 on Allure..:) Edited by Thetrail

Goodness this is getting boring...

You should have been here earlier this week when Sargent Schultz, from the Carnival boards gifted us with his point of view. All of those posts were deleted, as well as ones relating to it.

At terminal now Nov. 10 eastern sailing. Ticket agent said still problems and delays at ports. Oh we'll still excited!

Well then it sounds like it's safe to say these problems are going to be ongoing from now on and that anyone booked on the Eastern Itinerary plan their excursions according to the revised port times. Don't bet on Royal Caribbean to tell you any new updates anytime soon other than the usual;

"Allure of the Seas currently has a small restriction on her top speed. It is important to note that all equipment is fully operational and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew. We are currently exploring various options that would fix the problem. In the mean time, we have shortened her stays in Nassau, Bahamas and Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas on the Eastern Caribbean sailings due to the issue. There have been no changes to the Western Caribbean itineraries. The plan is to get Allure back up to top speed. At this time, we have not made sweeping changes to upcoming itineraries." :confused:

You should have been here earlier this week when Sargent Schultz, from the Carnival boards gifted us with his point of view. All of those posts were deleted, as well as ones relating to it.

And a bunch of other posts that had nothing to do with him.

Maybe they are waiting for the gangway to be retracted?:p

lmao, gangway retracted, moorings untied and into international waters before they break the news (or maybe even out of cellphone range, to make it that much harder for current pax to send word back to us :D)

Edited by joeski27

lmao, gangway retracted, moorings untied and into international waters before they break the news (or maybe even out of cellphone range, to make it that much harder for current pax to send word back to us :D)

Followed by ship wide internet failure:p

I assume they let you know the night before when you get your cruise compass for the next day, perhaps a letter attached. I curious to know when they mention it to the passengers.

I would think that they should let folks know as soon as possible so those who find this a complete surprise have more time to change their plans for the day. Remember, the average cruiser on that ship has no clue that there is even an issue with it. By the time the Compass comes out this evening it will be too late to call companies in Nassau to change arrangements for tomorrow.

Remember, the average cruiser on that ship has no clue that there is even an issue with it. By the time the Compass comes out this evening it will be too late to call companies in Nassau to change arrangements for tomorrow.

Not like us CC members, that are each "special" in our own way.:D

Edited by A&L_Ont