Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

I would not be surprised if we see the timetable changed to an itinerary close to what Royal told Pam Laminsky. Now that they know that the " cat is out of the bag" , they will probably have Capt Johnnie put the pedal to the metal and bring her in as close to these posted times, 7 to 1PM for Nassau and 11 to 6:30 or 7 PM for St Thomas as possible, or practical. They can claim this was the result of normL winds, currents and sea conditions. This itinerary change would affect more pax plans in St Thomas than in Nassau.

Oh I will be able to tell, carpeting, painting, mattresses, pillows, nice painting no rush exterior, nice polished teek exterior, etc.

They are one year apart. You act as if they were Built years apart. I HAVE been on both ships and you can't tell a difference mattresses and pillows get replaced throughout the years as needed before dry docks. Painting also happens on board throughout the years

And the representative told me "it was an isolated incident that ONLY effected the Oct 27th sailing"

Yeah, well we shall see come Monday afternoon as Allure leaves Nassau...at whatever time that actually occurs :rolleyes:

UNV-It well, I guess I am different, I am not used to seeing worn carpets neverless stains...I am used to fresh paint no marks on walls, I am used to good bedding and wonderful pillows, this is probably why these things being newer are important to me as when they are worn or need renovations I happen to notice them more than most people.

To ME, 365 more days of these items being used is 365 days more even more worn. If a ship is scheduled for dry dock/renovations you be sure it needs it!

Edited by lyndamr

So now it's a waiting game till Sunday, or for Royal to release some information with some some substance to it.

Exactly, and at this point there's a much better chance of hearing something directly from a passenger sunday afternoon rather than actually hearing something from frickin RCI. And so we wait...

This is the email response I got from RCCL when I contracted rthen about the problems on Allure and the shortening of our stay in Nassau and in St. Thomas, The letter was directed to me personally so I am sure it wasn't a form letter but was glad to at least get a reply,

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response. More customers than ever before are choosing the convenience of email as their primary mode of communication. As a result, the turnaround time for responses has increased. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

We are sorry for any disappointment experienced due to our decision to modify your sailing's itinerary. The Allure of the Seas currently has a small restriction on her top speed. All equipment is fully operational and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew. However, it has been necessary to make some minor adjustments to Allure's eastern itinerary. The ship will depart Nassau, Bahamas at 1:00 pm instead of 2:00 pm. Additionally, the ship will arrive into St. Thomas at 11:00 am instead of 10:00 am. As the brochures and Cruise Ticket Contract reflect, we may have to change the ship's itinerary under specific circumstances. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

While onboard, you may enjoy many of the innovative features of the Allure of the Seas. For action and adventure, you can try one of the two FlowRider surf simulators, the zip line that will speed you across the ship nine stories in the air, or one our signature rock climbing wall. You can challenge your family on the full size basketball court, in the ice-skating rink, or at mini-golf. These are all included in the price of your cruise fare. If you are looking for relaxation, treat yourself royally in the full-service Vitality Spa; enjoy one of the four pools or ten whirlpools, two of which overlook the ocean. You can enjoy a hot dog on the Boardwalk or a pleasant walk through Central Park.

Mrs. Laminsky, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. As a Gold member with our Crown & Anchor Society, we value your loyalty and appreciate this opportunity to respond to your concerns. The Crown & Anchor Society was created to show how much we appreciate you by offering recognition programs, members-only benefits, and valued rewards. We truly look forward to welcoming you onboard the Allure of the Seas.

Sincerely,

Molly Elliott

Customer Service Representative

We're sailing on the November 10 eastern route this weekend, and I for one am happy to know that there are no safety issues with Allure, and that Royal is so apologetic for the itinerary issues.

But more importantly, I'm glad to know that everything is ok with the hot dog stand on the Boardwalk. :D :rolleyes:

We're sailing on the November 10 eastern route this weekend, and I for one am happy to know that there are no safety issues with Allure, and that Royal is so apologetic for the itinerary issues.

But more importantly, I'm glad to know that everything is ok with the hot dog stand on the Boardwalk. :D :rolleyes:

I suspect that if it burned down RCI would would deny that anything happened to it.

UNV-It well, I guess I am different, I am not used to seeing worn carpets neverless stains...I am used to fresh paint no marks on walls, I am used to good bedding and wonderful pillows, this is probably why these things being newer are important to me as when they are worn or need renovations I happen to notice them more than most people.

To ME, 365 more days of these items being used is 365 days more even more worn. If a ship is scheduled for dry dock/renovations you be sure it needs it!

Sometimes ships are scheduled for dry docking because of regulations requiring hull inspections and mechanical maintenance and they carry out some renovations at the same time simply because the ship is out of service but not because of an overwhelming need asthetically.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Posting a link to anything Jim Walker says about the cruise industry is like asking Billy Ray Cyrus for advice on parenting. They may have experience, but their products tend to get attention for all the wrong reasons. ;)

Posting a link to anything Jim Walker says about the cruise industry is like asking Billy Ray Cyrus for advice on parenting. They may have experience, but their products tend to get attention for all the wrong reasons. ;)

By posting that on his website, I think Mr. Walker is on a fishing expedition......:rolleyes:

By posting that on his website, I think Mr. Walker is on a fishing expedition......:rolleyes:

Yep. He's got an established reputation of being an ambulance chaser lawyer against the cruise industry. This is how he makes his living.

But hey, as we can see, there's no shortage of suckers for him to fool. ;)

I suspect that if it burned down RCI would would deny that anything happened to it.

And institute a cover charge for a "Burnin' Down the Doghouse" party!:D

I don't think your different I think you just like to argue just for the sake of hearing your own voice. Not because your right or wrong. Those who have ACTUALLY been on both ships will confirm they are both in fantastic shape. You couldn't tell the different from one cabin to the next pillow wise or anything else for that matter. I understand why your trying to argue and validate yourself. You have that ship booked. So of course you want to make yourself feel better about the choice you made.

It has taken 2 days just to read through this thread!

“Carnival would have a tab about the status.” Yes. They’ve had more practice!

That was cruel, but I couldn’t resist. We’ve been on 4 Carnival cruises and have enjoyed them. But seriously, because they have had more problems and they have learned their lesson. They are more forthcoming than Royal Caribbean is.

But Carnival still has their problems. I have a booking we chose because of a Tortola stop. They have substituted San Juan due to construction at Tortola. Not their fault. I found out about it on Cruise Critic. No notification from Carnival though. Yes, I will be changing or cancelling that cruise.

“Not the end of the world.” Actually, on one cruise it was. We were delayed in Ushuia, Argentina (due to weather). That caused us to miss the next port. If you don’t get the double meaning, find Ushuia, Argentina on a map.

Shorten port calls. Skip a port. There is no solution that is going to satisfy 4500 passengers on each cruise. What one person thinks doesn’t make a difference, could spoil a long anticipated vacation for another. For those of us who aren’t affected (yet), we should be thankful and have sympathy and understanding for those who are. They are having to consider changing plans while dealing with FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) due to the lack of information.

Royal should at least be honest about the situation and what they know and make timely updates to the status. If they even said they don’t know the extent of the problem and are working on determining the cause and planning a fix it would be better than denying the obvious. It is understandable that there is no advance notice about weather related problems, but this problem is a known problem and should be communicated.

Sometimes Royal behaves like a new company with no experience instead of a company with a fleet of fantastic ships and years of experience. This situation is just another example of that.

I could be wrong, but didn’t Royal used to say “Know before you go”?

“Newer is better. It's science. DUHHHHH.” – Have you “upgraded” your software or cable TV? Still think newer is better? :)

Gordon

The difficulty with this sort of comment is that regardless of what Royal Caribbean says, someone is going to claim that they have yet to come clean.

In essence there is a lack of trust that leads consumers to doubt everything. That is just the way things work these days. But I wonder how anyone gets satisfaction?

Nothing the cruise lines says is likely going to satisfy those posing comments like the one above. Certainly the cruise line is not going to admit to things that are not true.

No, you are straight up wrong on this. All that I, and everyone else, would like to hear from RCI is that (assuming this is the case, as at this point it very blatantly appears to be) 1) have an actually ongoing problem, and 2) it will continue to significantly affect the ports on the eastern Caribbean sailings, namely Nassau & St. Thomas. That is literally all we are asking at this point. But hey, thanks for siding with RCI on this one, well played. :rolleyes:

It has taken 2 days just to read through this thread!

“Carnival would have a tab about the status.” Yes. They’ve had more practice!

That was cruel, but I couldn’t resist. We’ve been on 4 Carnival cruises and have enjoyed them. But seriously, because they have had more problems and they have learned their lesson. They are more forthcoming than Royal Caribbean is.

But Carnival still has their problems. I have a booking we chose because of a Tortola stop. They have substituted San Juan due to construction at Tortola. Not their fault. I found out about it on Cruise Critic. No notification from Carnival though. Yes, I will be changing or cancelling that cruise.

“Not the end of the world.” Actually, on one cruise it was. We were delayed in Ushuia, Argentina (due to weather). That caused us to miss the next port. If you don’t get the double meaning, find Ushuia, Argentina on a map.

Shorten port calls. Skip a port. There is no solution that is going to satisfy 4500 passengers on each cruise. What one person thinks doesn’t make a difference, could spoil a long anticipated vacation for another. For those of us who aren’t affected (yet), we should be thankful and have sympathy and understanding for those who are. They are having to consider changing plans while dealing with FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) due to the lack of information.

Royal should at least be honest about the situation and what they know and make timely updates to the status. If they even said they don’t know the extent of the problem and are working on determining the cause and planning a fix it would be better than denying the obvious. It is understandable that there is no advance notice about weather related problems, but this problem is a known problem and should be communicated.

Sometimes Royal behaves like a new company with no experience instead of a company with a fleet of fantastic ships and years of experience. This situation is just another example of that.

I could be wrong, but didn’t Royal used to say “Know before you go”?

“Newer is better. It's science. DUHHHHH.” – Have you “upgraded” your software or cable TV? Still think newer is better? :)

Gordon

Very good post, thank you for taking the time to say all this (except for the software & cable TV part - upgrades have always been a godsend to us, lol, but that's probably because I'm about 20 years younger than most on this forum.:) At any rate, this is all we've been saying all along. Everyone else, please ignore the holier-than-thou crowd who, for reasons unknown, still try to stand up for RCI on this. How they can do this and still have some shred of intelligent concience is beyond me. At this point it is a simple and incredibly obvious matter of principle, and we've gone way past the point of debate on this. Its getting to the point of sheer hilarity.

Edited by joeski27

For the record, I'll give you all an concrete example of how hugely important it would be of RCI to give us an formal heads up that the port times are changing. As I said earlier in this thread, we were planning (and have booked & paid for) a Blue Lagoon Island excursion at Nassau on our 11/24 (Thanksgiving) sailing on Allure. Now if we have to leave port early, and considering Blue Lagoon's first ferry back to the cruise port isn't until 1pm, then that excursion would almost certainly be doomed.

Now all things being equal, if RCI was a proper standup company and let us know this now (and at this point they should know this), then I could cancel that excursion reservation, which happens to be made outside of RCI, and I have a 14 day window in which to cancel it, with this coming Monday being the end of the 14 day window. But now I've discovered I have a nice Plan B of a great nearby beach resort day pass option that I can book right now, even though I greatly prefer my original excursion. So now, thanks to Royal's wonderful customer care approach, my final plan will be, show up at the pier in 2 weeks, hope my excursion isn't canceled, and if it is, I get to wing it on my own and make stuff up on the fly.

Bottom line, if RCI would just tell us NOW if we have to leave Nassau early, we can actually book our alternative plans now (and save money doing so!), but instead they are going to add stress to our first day in port. Awesome. A company who's sole purpose is to be a vacation destination that provides stress-free destinations, accommodations, and amenities is sure generating a crap load of stress, especially considering I've spent thousands of dollars, AND I'm over 2 weeks away from even being at their port.

But of course there will still somehow, some way, be some people who still try to find a way of standing up for RCI on this, and/or trying to take the argument that this is somehow not a big deal. If you are either of those, please don't. :mad:

Edited by joeski27

For the record, I'll give you all an concrete example of how hugely important it would be of RCI to give us an formal heads up that the port times are changing. As I said earlier in this thread, we were planning (and have booked & paid for) a Blue Lagoon Island excursion at Nassau on our 11/24 (Thanksgiving) sailing on Allure. Now if we have to leave port early, and considering Blue Lagoon's first ferry back to the cruise port isn't until 1pm, then that excursion would almost certainly be doomed.

Now all things being equal, if RCI was a proper standup company and let us know this now (and at this point they should know this), then I could cancel that excursion reservation, which happens to be made outside of RCI, and I have a 14 day window in which to cancel it, with this coming Monday being the end of the 14 day window. But now I've discovered I have a nice Plan B of a great nearby beach resort day pass option that I can book right now, even though I greatly prefer my original excursion. So now, thanks to Royal's wonderful customer care approach, my final plan will be, show up at the pier in 2 weeks, hope my excursion isn't canceled, and if it is, I get to wing it on my own and make stuff up on the fly.

Bottom line, if RCI would just tell us NOW if we have to leave Nassau early, we can actually book our alternative plans now (and save money doing so!), but instead they are going to add stress to our first day in port. Awesome. A company who's sole purpose is to be a vacation destination that provides stress-free destinations, accommodations, and amenities is sure generating a crap load of stress, especially considering I've spent thousands of dollars, AND I'm over 2 weeks away from even being at their port.

But of course there will still somehow, some way, be some people who still try to find a way of standing up for RCI on this, and/or trying to take the argument that this is somehow not a big deal. If you are either of those, please don't. :mad:

You are right, it sucks. However, being a member of CC has given you the advantage of finding out the port schedule time changes in advance. At least you have had the opportunity to come up with a plan B. It might not be your plan A, but you have had time to research different options. Having had a life of surprises I always try to see the positive. I hope your plan B is fun and enjoyable.

The best plan would be plan C, being the ship is fixed. However, I am not sure how RC would be able to fix the pod situation in under two weeks, let alone before she goes to dry dock in almost 2 years. I said I always try to find the positive, but I am also a realist.

I feel for you, but I feel more for the people that arrive at port to find out that their only plan had been cancelled due to shortened port times. If you weren't a member of CC, you might have been one of those people unfortunately finding out on embarkation day. Even though your port times are shortened I wish you the maximum amount of fun on your upcoming cruise.:)

If Royal Caribbean were going to take the Allure into dry dock soon would they have to tell Wall Street first?

They would need to tell the shipyard first. Sarge will let Wall Street know. :p

From my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk.