Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

All this drydock talk reminded of the Sovereign drydock. The Freeport drydock would not let the Sovereign go without some more cash. The VP from Royal stormed off the ship and went toe to toe with the head of the facility to get the ship released. Too bad the show is off YouTube.

That was a great show. It was a 5 part show on several of the cable channels (owned by the same company). The show probably amounted to about 2 hours total because they repeated the last 15 minutes or so of one show as the first 15 minutes or so of the next one. Then there were the commercials.....

It was a great story of project management and things than can go wrong. Like the drunk sleeping in the crane tracks so they couldn't move the crane.

Gordon

Yes, I'm very happy and do feel like royal caribbean likely just finalized plans. It is reasonable to assume it would take 3-4 weeks to finalize and announce. Now we can all move on with decisions we need to make based on the news. We'll be keeping our January cruise, but will be able to finalize our St. Thomas excursions with the information.

Now we can post on the "new" thread :)

It doesn't look like the drydock there can fit the Allure. There is a Voyager Class in Dock 2 in the pic.

No. 2 Dock is 300 meters (985 feet) long with an internal breadth of 58.5 meters (192 feet) and a lifting capacity of 82,500 tonnes. The dock, which is capable of handling vessels up to VLCC size, or cruise vessels up to 150,000 grt, is fitted with two 24 tonnes cranes and one 32 tonnes crane and a comprehensive range of services, including a high voltage power supply system

http://grandbahamashipyard.com/facilities/drydocks/

Edited by bilyclub

It doesn't look like the drydock there can fit the Allure. There is a Voyager Class in Dock 2 in the pic.

No. 2 Dock is 300 meters (985 feet) long with an internal breadth of 58.5 meters (192 feet) and a lifting capacity of 82,500 tonnes. The dock, which is capable of handling vessels up to VLCC size, or cruise vessels up to 150,000 grt, is fitted with two 24 tonnes cranes and one 32 tonnes crane and a comprehensive range of services, including a high voltage power supply system

The drydocks are floating. They submerge the dock, float the ship in and then raise the dock. Therefore, they don't need to close doors at the ends of the dock. A couple of the ships seem to be hanging out the back. The issue would be width. They must have figured out how they could do it.

Royal Caribbean has announced that the Allure of the Seas, which has been experiencing propulsion issues over the past few weeks, will dry dock the week of February 24, 2014 at Grand Bahama Shipyard. This unscheduled dry dock will force Royal Caribbean to cancel the*February 23, 2014 sailing of*Allure of the Seas. Guests on the cancelled sailing will have the choice to either receive a 100% refund or*sail on select itineraries at the same rate.

In addition, the Allure of the Seas will need to sail a revised eastern Caribbean itinerary due to the revised speed of the ship. Allure of the Seas*will now call on Nassau, Bahamas, from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and on Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

“We sincerely regret that we will be unable to deliver the Royal Caribbean cruise vacation that our guests were looking forward to,” said Adam Goldstein, president and chief executive officer, Royal Caribbean International.* “We understand that our guests’ vacation time is very precious and can assure you that we did not take this decision lightly. But it was very important to us that we bring*Allure*back up to speed so that she could continue to deliver the amazing cruise vacations our guests expect.”

In recent weeks, the Allure of the Seas has been forced to sail at a reduced speed due to “irregular wear” on the ship’s propulsion system. The reduced speed has and continues to force Royal Caribbean to alter port times throughout Allure’s eastern Caribbean itinerary.

http://www.cruisecurrents.com/article/14362

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

The drydocks are floating. They submerge the dock, float the ship in and then raise the dock. Therefore, they don't need to close doors at the ends of the dock. A couple of the ships seem to be hanging out the back. The issue would be width. They must have figured out how they could do it.

While many ships that are longer overall than floating drydocks can be accommodated in the dock, it all depends on the dock and the ship. The ships are placed on wooden blocks about 4-5 feet high, to give access to the bottom of the ship. There is a specific pattern of where the blocks can be placed (under internal ship's structure) to keep the ship from warping out of shape while on the blocks. Likewise, the floating drydock is subject to twisting and bending from the load of the ship, and the blocks need to be placed above structure in the dock. If you were just to hang the ends of the ship over the end of the drydock, this could cause damage to the ship. Also, the beam of the Allure, at the waterline is smaller than the inside width of the drydock. The maximum beam is taking into account the lifeboat davits and balconies. The boats are removed before the ship is docked, and the davits and balconies are above the top of the dock wingwalls. As you say, since they have announced the docking, the engineering must have worked out.

The beam is supposed to be 60.5m and the drydock is only 58.5m. I'm thinking the wider spots are on the upper decks which would be higher that the dock's walls. So, Allure should fit withwise. The weight is another issue.

I must have been typing, missed the above post.

Edited by bilyclub

The beam is supposed to be 60.5m and the drydock is only 58.5m. I'm thinking the wider spots are on the upper decks which would be higher that the dock's walls. So, Allure should fit withwise. The weight is another issue.

I must have been typing, missed the above post.

The press release says it is going to undergo repairs, it does not say it will be drydocked.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/download-press-release/1050/

Will be interesting to see what the actual plans are to fix the problem.

The press release says it is going to undergo repairs, it does not say it will be drydocked.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/download-press-release/1050/

Will be interesting to see what the actual plans are to fix the problem.

The article I posted says will dry dock the week of February 24, 2014 at Grand Bahama Shipyard

I found that interesting too. The shipyard says it also has "Wet Berths" maybe they are able to fix the bearing without "drydocking". They just need a berth for a week to make the neccesary repairs. They need the berth at Terminal 18 in Fort Lauderdale for the Oasis and other ships. So they wouldn't be able to make repairs there. Just my guess. :confused:

"Royal Caribbean Announces Allure of the Seas Will Undergo Repairs in February 2014

MIAMI, Nov. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Royal Caribbean International announced today that a mechanical issue has made it necessary to perform unscheduled repairs to Allure of the Seas. The repairs will take place at Grand Bahama Shipyard, in Freeport, Bahamas, the week of February 24, 2014. As a result, it will be necessary to cancel the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas.

"We sincerely regret that we will be unable to deliver the Royal Caribbean cruise vacation that our guests were looking forward to," said Adam Goldstein, president and chief executive officer, Royal Caribbean International. "We understand that our guests' vacation time is very precious and can assure you that we did not take this decision lightly. But it was very important to us that we bring Allure back up to speed so that she could continue to deliver the amazing cruise vacations our guests expect."

Allure of the Seas has been experiencing unanticipated bearing wear in one of its three propulsion motors. All three motors are fully operational, and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of guests and crew. However, since the rate of bearing wear is directly related to ship speed, the ship's top speed has been limited. This has reduced the rate of bearing wear, and will ensure that all three propulsion motors are fully available for maneuvering and emergencies until repairs can be completed.

"While Allure could have continued to sail at a reduced rate of speed, we felt it was important to fix the problem as soon as possible," said William D. Baumgartner, senior vice president of Marine Operations, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "We explored numerous repair options. Unfortunately, there was no satisfactory solution that did not involve taking the ship temporarily out of service."

The company said guests currently booked on the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas will receive a full, 100 percent refund, or the option to sail on select itineraries at the same rate.

Additionally, until the repairs can be made, it will be necessary to make minor adjustments to Allure of the Seas' eastern Caribbean itineraries. Allure of the Seas will now call on Nassau, Bahamas, from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and on Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is no need to modify Allure of the Seas' western Caribbean itineraries."

The above is the actual press release. The words dry dock aren't used.

Tried to do a multi quote from my phone lol

Edited by Flip2cruise

I am no expert but could they seal off the area at the rear of the ship only and evacuate the water out of the area to perform the work? Similar to pouring a concrete bridge support or something for a bridge. Leave the rest of the ship floating.

Sent from my XT897 using Forums mobile app

I hope this was an error...

They state for the revised itinerary for Eastern:

St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m

I thought they have been there 11:00-11:30 and all aboard at 6:30, leaving at 7:00. There hasn't been an issue getting into St. Martin on time. I'm not sure why they would move it up to 5:00 (or 4:30 all aboard).

I am no expert but could they seal off the area at the rear of the ship only and evacuate the water out of the area to perform the work? Similar to pouring a concrete bridge support or something for a bridge. Leave the rest of the ship floating.

Yes. It's called a cofferdam. We used them in the Navy to do hull repairs on a specific part of the ship.

I hope this was an error...

They state for the revised itinerary for Eastern:

St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m

I thought they have been there 11:00-11:30 and all aboard at 6:30, leaving at 7:00. There hasn't been an issue getting into St. Martin on time. I'm not sure why they would move it up to 5:00 (or 4:30 all aboard).

Hey there!

I am on the sailing January 19th. My itinerary says 11am to 7pm for St. Thomas.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Trust me, to repair a VO type pod requires a drydock.

I would have to agree but I guess we will have to wait and see but I assume with your cruise ship background u would have a really good idea if I would require a Drydock and I will go with your experience and say Drydock as well but we all will have to wait and see.