Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

Looks like they are doing other work too. I see a scaffold set up in the Aqua Theater this evening....something in the Royal Promenade, too.

We were on her the week of January 26th. On one port day, we walked down to the Aqua Theater and entertained ourselves watching one of what looked like a paint crew try to climb a rope ladder to do some painting. They couldn't secure one end and the crewman was kinda' swinging in the wind. We watched it until they finally packed up without applying a drop of paint. Maybe the decided to put off until they could get a scaffolding. Judging by the way the guy was swinging around up there, it was probably a good decision. :D

5875e5fd-84a8-497b-8e31-db1e09224424_zps6fe57968.jpg

Edited by Big_G

Haha! A picture of the world's largest cruise ship "plugged in" with a long extension cord would be priceless! :D

LOL that would be funny

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In some ports it is required. I remember on that show about the port of LA several years ago they were talking about that becoming a requirement soon and how the ships would have to retrofit to add that capability. Wonder if that had anything to do with RCI abandoning LA?

In some ports it is required. I remember on that show about the port of LA several years ago they were talking about that becoming a requirement soon and how the ships would have to retrofit to add that capability. Wonder if that had anything to do with RCI abandoning LA?

Wow, I thought I was just being humorous. :confused: Required? To get ALL the ship electricity from portside while docked? I'm an electrical engineer, and can't hardly imagine what kind of cabling, connections, etc. you'd have to have to allow that.

Wow, I thought I was just being humorous. :confused: Required? To get ALL the ship electricity from portside while docked? I'm an electrical engineer, and can't hardly imagine what kind of cabling, connections, etc. you'd have to have to allow that.

Really BIG connections.;)

30 Amp shore power. Get it at an West Marine. Suitable for boats 20'-1200':D:D

392831-1721f9ecad59681c5293223d0e2991b0.jpg

30 Amp shore power. Get it at an West Marine. Suitable for boats 20'-1200':D:D

392831-1721f9ecad59681c5293223d0e2991b0.jpg

Haha! :D A quick google search yielded "The power plant on the Allure of the Seas generates enough electricity on average to power 44,000 homes." Of course, the propulsion is electric, so no idea what percentage of that goes to propulsion and what percentage goes to "hotel operations" but I wonder if West Marine offers a quantity discount - for quantities over 1,000! :eek:

I am not an engineer, I just know it was being discussed on some discovery channel type shows I have watched. I mean, it's not the internet, but I am sure they wouldn't televise it if it weren't true.

I am not an engineer, I just know it was being discussed on some discovery channel type shows I have watched. I mean, it's not the internet, but I am sure they wouldn't televise it if it weren't true.

Just for the record, wasn't questioning or doubting your info - just having trouble imagining it...

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/environment/alt_maritime_power.asp

There are about six plugs of varying sizes used. There are pics, but they are on a different cruise site.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ncl+using+shore+power&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NnwPU7_sGem62wWag4C4Bw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=650#imgdii=_

Edited by bilyclub

Haha! :D A quick google search yielded "The power plant on the Allure of the Seas generates enough electricity on average to power 44,000 homes." Of course, the propulsion is electric, so no idea what percentage of that goes to propulsion and what percentage goes to "hotel operations" but I wonder if West Marine offers a quantity discount - for quantities over 1,000! :eek:

i think its 50% propulsion and 50% hotel operations

i think its 50% propulsion and 50% hotel operations

The Allure has 6 diesel engines that can output up to 96 megawatts(MW) of power. The three azipods can use up to 60 MW of that, but normally, they use a lot less. I;d guess the hotel load is somewhere in the 15-20 MW range.

The first cruise ship "shore power" set up was in Juneau, Alaska in 2001. It works best with ships that are fully electric. The electric utility provides either 6.6 or 11 k-volts; which ever the ship uses. The ship's power management system treats the shore power just like any other generator, and synchronizes the frequency allowing for a seamless switch over.

I don't think that there is a shore power set up at any of the Allure's ports.

Aloha,

John

The Allure has 6 diesel engines that can output up to 96 megawatts(MW) of power. The three azipods can use up to 60 MW of that, but normally, they use a lot less. I;d guess the hotel load is somewhere in the 15-20 MW range.

The first cruise ship "shore power" set up was in Juneau, Alaska in 2001. It works best with ships that are fully electric. The electric utility provides either 6.6 or 11 k-volts; which ever the ship uses. The ship's power management system treats the shore power just like any other generator, and synchronizes the frequency allowing for a seamless switch over.

I don't think that there is a shore power set up at any of the Allure's ports.

Aloha,

John

Great post. My initial question on this was more of "why don't they conserve more", but its awesome to learn the dynamics.