Slow Disembark Port Everglades

aliaschief

Princess board has been reporting bad backups at LA on some sailings recently, so it's not just Port Everglades.

Remember that ships are starting to arrive back in the US for the winter, so more ships equals each getting less agents. Also Royal Princess arrived in the US for the first time this morning so I wouldn't be surprised if some agents got diverted over to her to do her full inspection.

I was not bad when I debarked in April 2013 from Princess in LA

Our ship Westerdam is supposed to dock at 7am. I have no HAL status. I probably prefer not to schlep my bags as no real rush. But, in general, how long should I plan for arrive at dock until arrive at airport (using taxi). And I will allow 1.5 hr to check in and security at airport.

Also, is it better to just wait a couple of hours on board and then disembark if I book a, say, 2pm flight?

Someone mentioned direct luggage. What is that?

Thanks for all the help -- I have cruised before, but not from Florida.

Also, is it better to just wait a couple of hours on board and then disembark if I book a, say, 2pm flight?

Someone mentioned direct luggage. What is that?

If your flight is at 2:00 PM, do yourself a favor and plan to be one of the last people off the ship. That should happen sometime between 9:00-9:30, but even if it took until later, you would still have plenty of time to make that flight.

If HAL would let you stay on the ship until 11:00 (they won't), you would still make a 2:00 PM flight.

Luggage Direct is a program between the cruiseline and most airlines. You pay a fee, are accepted in the program, and your luggage is collected and sent to your home airport. You do not need to claim it in the morning, and bring it to the airport. However, you do need to be in the first group off the ship after the self-disembark passengers. That happens about 7:45, or so; I was off at 7:40 when I used Luggage Direct. Best $19 I spent all cruise.

I think more people are going to start considering a post cruise overnight in FLL.

It doesn't sound promising people can make early flights.

That's what we have done for the past several cruises regardless of the disembarkation port. It allows us to shrug off delays and end our cruise on a relaxed note. Who cares at what point you get off the ship if you have no deadlines?

Can I schlep my own luggage if I have a 11:30 flight that was booked through HAL and their transportation? Now I'm starting to worry.

Of course you can - it's called self disembarkation and if you can manage your own luggage you can select that and be first off the ship. 11:30 is a quite reasonable time for your flight.

Alternatively, you can fill out your forms with the flight time and since it's early you will probably be off shortly after those that self disembark.

Can I schlep my own luggage if I have a 11:30 flight that was booked through HAL and their transportation? Now I'm starting to worry.

Of course you can - it's called self disembarkation and if you can manage your own luggage you can select that and be first off the ship. 11:30 is a quite reasonable time for your flight.

Alternatively, you can fill out your forms with the flight time and since it's early you will probably be off shortly after those that self disembark.

I'm curious. Wouldn't his HAL booked flight and transportation kind of guarantee that HAL will get him off the ship and onto their bus quickly?

You could be first off the ship and on the bus, but the bus will not leave until everyone else who has booked HAL transportation has cleared customs and arrived. That can take a while.

We took HAL transportation once in NYC and there was a long wait on the bus. One couple got fed up and left the bus to take a taxi. At that point the bus driver commented that people should not book HAL transportation for a flight that departs before noon.

You have to consider that if there are a number of ships in port the airport will have long lineups once you get there.

Not meaning to sound like the voice of doom. Just throwing a few points out for consideration. I am well aware that it takes longer to actually get to the airport in NYC than FLL but the potential for delay in the bus leaving the port is the same.

Is your HAL transfer refundable? Honestly, it is so easy to grab a cab for the ten minutes it would take to get to the air terminal that it might be worth considering. The cab for two people would most likely be less expensive and you would be on your way as soon as you clear customs.

You could be first off the ship and on the bus, but the bus will not leave until everyone else who has booked HAL transportation has cleared customs and arrived. That can take a while.

We took HAL transportation once in NYC and there was a long wait on the bus. One couple got fed up and left the bus to take a taxi. At that point the bus driver commented that people should not book HAL transportation for a flight that departs before noon.

You have to consider that if there are a number of ships in port the airport will have long lineups once you get there.

Not meaning to sound like the voice of doom. Just throwing a few points out for consideration. I am well aware that it takes longer to actually get to the airport in NYC than FLL but the potential for delay in the bus leaving the port is the same.

Is your HAL transfer refundable? Honestly, it is so easy to grab a cab for the ten minutes it would take to get to the air terminal that it might be worth considering. The cab for two people would most likely be less expensive and you would be on your way as soon as you clear customs.

There was a time when I would only take Hal transfers. Now I'm getting to think they are more of a pain then anything. Agree with what you say.

The cab for two people would most likely be less expensive ...
I've found that to be true most of the times I've checked. For example, in Venice HAL wanted $79 per person each direction, and a taxi for two was 40 Euro (then about $52) plus a tip. In NYC and Barcelona the situation was similar. (For most of our cruises we drive to the port, and don't take taxis often. :) )

I'll be self-disembarking for our 10:10 flight, then. Not taking chances.

And before I get the lecture about booking the early flight - the next one to Denver leaves at 6:00 PM. I'm not sitting around at the airport for 8 hours.

And before I get the lecture about booking the early flight - the next one to Denver leaves at 6:00 PM. I'm not sitting around at the airport for 8 hours.

I hope it all goes right for you. :)

If we wanted to carry off our own bags, do we have to leave early or can you go at your leisure?

I don't know if there is a rule about leaving early but I think the whole point of carrying your own bags off is to enable you to leave early before everyone else's luggage has been unloaded and put into the terminal. Why would you want all the hassle of carrying your luggage off if you are leaving later? Let the ship do it and collect it in the terminal! Trying to schlep your luggage off when a lot of other guests are also leaving can be difficult.

We have a 12:59 flight out of FLL when we disembark the Eurodam in a few weeks. I hope having a flight at that time will be okay..........

We arrived with plenty of time to spare before our 12:40 flight. As OP of this thread I just wanted folks to know and be aware that disembarking may be slower than in the past and to plan accordingly.

You should be fine.

I'm certainly not telling you what to do but I think it might be useful to suggest there is always the option of spending one night post cruise in FLL and catching the early flight the next day.....

IF that is possible for you or someone else reading this.

What about something out of Miami? At least check into what's available in case you don't make the 10:10. Edited by jtl513

We had delay problems because of Immigration and Customs last December before the sequestor business and that time we spent the night so no big deal. I see things have not changed. We arrive on the Amsterdam January 4th along with 6 other ships including the Oasis of the Seas (23,646 folks total). Our flight is at 12:45PM so hope we make it but if not we'll spend the night. Will have too much luggage to self-debark which we normally do on shorter cruises. I do appreciate the reminder of luggage direct which this time looks like a good option.