Just Back From The Royal Princess Inaugural Med-T/A Cruise

Woobstr112G

Bob, thanks for a well balanced review. I haven't had a chance to view your pictures yet, but will look forward to doing so when things calm down a bit here. Just wanted to pop in for a quick reply and say how much we enjoyed meeting you and Holli and sharing your three tours. We had a great time on the tours, which we well organized with wonderful guides. Thanks so much for all your planning and organizing to make the three port days very special for us. We especially enjoyed the fabulous restaurant above Positano. All our best to Holli and hope to cruise with you again soon.

Susan

Thanks for the excellent, well balanced review, Bob. And especially for all the ships photos and Patter scans you posted on Flickr. You did a great job giving us a photo tour of the ship.

Thanks for the kind words:) I'm just about done with the ship pictures. I have some additional pics (not many) on another card that I don't have with me right now. I'll probably start on the excursion pictures in a couple of days when work gives me a break.

BTW, I am in awe of the pictures you post on your flickr page. They are amazing.

Bob, thanks for a well balanced review. I haven't had a chance to view your pictures yet, but will look forward to doing so when things calm down a bit here. Just wanted to pop in for a quick reply and say how much we enjoyed meeting you and Holli and sharing your three tours. We had a great time on the tours, which we well organized with wonderful guides. Thanks so much for all your planning and organizing to make the three port days very special for us. We especially enjoyed the fabulous restaurant above Positano. All our best to Holli and hope to cruise with you again soon.

Susan

Susan;

I'm glad you enjoyed the excursions. Holli and I also hope to sail with you and Bob in the future. We are tentatively set to do another Hawaii cruise in March of 2015 (Grand) if you feel like coming out west.....:):):)

Take Care

Bob

There is a pool in the Spa area, correct? I don't count those kind of pools since you have to be in the spa.

4,200 people on the ship, maximum. The RP will work in Europe on a port intensive cruise, not so much on a fully booked sailing in the Caribbean. Enjoy the elevators.

There are three pools on the Royal. The lido deck has the general pool and a very small plunge pool. The third pool is forward by the lotus spa It is an adult only pool and you do not have to be a spa member to use it.

The grand class ships (Emerald, Ruby, Golden, Sapphire. etc.) have five pools. Two general pools on lido deck. Terrace pool on aft.(I think for adults only) Adult only by the spa(for all to use) Teen center splash or plunge pool.

Why Princess chose to reduce the number of pools while adding more passengers was a question many passengers were asking on our July Mediterranean cruise.

Obvious was the decision to get rid of the terrace pool to add the number of aft cabins with decks. Why eliminate the kids/teen center pool? The very small plunge pool could have been made much larger if the water fountain deck was eliminated. However, taking the lounge chairs off the water fountain deck and using it as a sprinkler for the children during hot days should be fun for the kids.

Our sailing had over 400 children, it was a little crowded in the pools! Hopefully , on the Regal , they can eliminate the water fountain and expand the plunge pool. Sounds logical!

The aft pool on the 4 super-grands looks very inviting in the pictures, and based on the noises made here on CC when it was removed from the RP class, a popular feature.

Unfortunately, all the lines are reconfiguring existing ships and new builds to maximize revenue, not always to the cruiser's benefit. Gotta keep the basic fares low!

We hardly noticed the elevator issue...BUT...we had cabins near the forward elevator and stair bank. This to me is a much preferable area to be located...since the Princess theatre takes up so much room from floors 4 through whatever forwqrd of the elevators thus no cabins, there are far less folks using these...it was blind luck for us but worked out very well..;)

Hi Bob: Thank yo so much for sharing your review and photographs.

We are booked in D731, our first aft cabin, for an April 2015 Eastern Caribbean cruise so hopefully the soot issue will be resolved by then. What ship's noises, vibrations, did you feel in that part of the ship?

Does anyone have any idea what the "space" is between cabins mid-aft on D and E decks?

Thanks.

Thanks to all of you who posted all the valuable information and your valued opinions of the Royal. Really help many of us who are going on her. We do have one question regarding our cabin. The cabin description is:

Type: Deluxe Balcony Obstructed - M103

Category: DZ

Deck: 15 (Marina)

Bath Type: Shower

Connecting Room: N/A

Total Size: 287 sq. ft.

Special Notes: PART OBSTRUCTED VIEWNON-GLASS BALC RAIL BALCONY ACCESS WHEN IN PORT ONLY

We really don't understand what the Special Note means? We think it means that it is Part obstructed view non-glass. You can't see part of the view do to the non-glass partition.

What does is mean - Balcony access when in port only?

Any clarification will be appreciated. Thak you in advance.

Thanks to all of you who posted all the valuable information and your valued opinions of the Royal. Really help many of us who are going on her. We do have one question regarding our cabin. The cabin description is:

Special Notes: PART OBSTRUCTED VIEWNON-GLASS BALC RAIL BALCONY ACCESS WHEN IN PORT ONLY

We really don't understand what the Special Note means? We think it means that it is Part obstructed view non-glass. You can't see part of the view do to the non-glass partition.

I can tell you exactly what it means as we had E115 for the recent transatlantic.Your cabin will have a deep balcony but will have no sight lines while sitting on the balcony other than straight out.Your side walls are part of the bulkhead.Don't worry about it as the cabins in the same position on Emerald deck had great deep balconies.You are only obstructed on the sides.Enjoy!

I can tell you exactly what it means as we had E115 for the recent transatlantic.Your cabin will have a deep balcony but will have no sight lines while sitting on the balcony other than straight out.Your side walls are part of the bulkhead.Don't worry about it as the cabins in the same position on Emerald deck had great deep balconies.You are only obstructed on the sides.Enjoy!

Thank you very much for the quick response. The note was very confusing and not very clear. Again, people like you who answer questions are the valuable asset of CC.

If your cabin is right on the front of the ship, not the sides, the balcony is subject to strong head winds and is unusable when at sea. You do not have a see through glass railing. It is solid metal.

If your cabin is right on the front of the ship, not the sides, the balcony is subject to strong head winds and is unusable when at sea. You do not have a see through glass railing. It is solid metal.

Thank you, too. Never really considered the strong Head Winds! Makes sense. So, we will bring our bungee cords to tie us down when at sea and on the balcony. LOL

I apologize as I thought you had a side facing cabin.I should have checked the deck plans.Your forward facing cabin is one I would love to sail in as you have the best views.Enjoy!

No apologize necessary. We will be able to see where we are going and be almost the first ones there. LOL Thanks again!

I am no expert, but I believe your balcony door will be locked and you cannot use it while sailing. When in port, you can go out on the balcony but there is no furniture.

I'll let the experts chime in now and correct me if I'm mistaken:D

I'm a locksmith! Now I will need to buy and bring my own furniture. Maybe I can get some used furniture in FLL. LOL

Thanks for your info!

I'm a locksmith! Now I will need to buy and bring my own furniture. Maybe I can get some used furniture in FLL. LOL

Thanks for your info!

Just in case you think he was kidding, he was not. You won't be able to use your balcony while the ship is moving, only while in port. :(

Just in case you think he was kidding, he was not. You won't be able to use your balcony while the ship is moving, only while in port. :(

I knew he was kidding. So was I. We will have one big Ocean View while at sea. Thanks!

Bob,

Enjoyed your pictures so much. They are the best ones I have seen. What type of a camera did you use? I missed that picture you deleted when I first looked but three people emailed me copies of it. So, it is still floating around. I think you owe Holli big time - maybe another cruise? I'd be milking that one for a long time.

Your cabin looks more like a VS suite than an OS. No table and chairs and a loveseat instead of a sofa and one, not two side chairs next to the loveseat.

Did they use the concierge lounge for the suite passenger lounge the last morning?

Thanks for taking the time to post everyday.

Hi Bob: Thank yo so much for sharing your review and photographs.

We are booked in D731, our first aft cabin, for an April 2015 Eastern Caribbean cruise so hopefully the soot issue will be resolved by then. What ship's noises, vibrations, did you feel in that part of the ship?

Does anyone have any idea what the "space" is between cabins mid-aft on D and E decks?

Thanks.

I really hope they have the soot issue resolved before you sail. It was a big issue for us. The only noise I ever felt was when the thrusters came on when we were docking or departing.....:):):)

Bob

Bob,

Enjoyed your pictures so much. They are the best ones I have seen. What type of a camera did you use? I missed that picture you deleted when I first looked but three people emailed me copies of it. So, it is still floating around. I think you owe Holli big time - maybe another cruise? I'd be milking that one for a long time.

Your cabin looks more like a VS suite than an OS. No table and chairs and a loveseat instead of a sofa and one, not two side chairs next to the loveseat.

Did they use the concierge lounge for the suite passenger lounge the last morning?

Thanks for taking the time to post everyday.

I know what you mean about the OS suite. I believe it was way overpriced and a colossal waste of money on my part to book it. I actually like a real Vista suite rather than the OS. The Royal OS I had was too broken up and there was unutilized space. Thanks for the kind words about my photos. I know what you mean about "owing Holli" forever:D. I have another cruise booked for Hawaii in March 2015. I have a real Vista Suite on the Grand.

I use the new Canon 70D that I purchased about a month before we sailed. I have several lenses but I mainly use either my 15x85 or my 28x135 lenses.....:):):)

Bob

Great summary and GREAT photos. Can't wait to plow through them when I have more time.

I've just started uploading the Messina Pictures:) I've already uploaded Ship, docked in Venice. Venice City Views, Venice Sailaway, and En Route to Messina pictures.....:):):)

Bob

Archived