Carryon Wine Policy Clarification from CEO Kruse

JoeMGiants

As you know, HAL's new carryon wine policy limits each guest to "1 bottle of wine not to exceed 750ml ".

I recently sent a letter to HAL Predident & CEO Stein Kruse asking him for clalification and if I could carryon 3 splits of champagne or 2 half bottles of champagne as long as the total does not exceed 750ml.

To HAL's credit, I have received a quick response from Christine Ferris, Senior Advisor, Office of the President.

The respose to me states, " ..." so far as they do not exceed 750 ml total, you should have no concerns. In addition, we have made the ms Eurodam aware of this for your ..... sailing, .... ".:)

Thought others might be interested.

As you know, HAL's new carryon wine policy limits each guest to "1 bottle of wine not to exceed 750ml ".

I recently sent a letter to HAL Predident & CEO Stein Kruse asking him for clalification and if I could carryon 3 splits of champagne or 2 half bottles of champagne as long as the total does not exceed 750ml.

To HAL's credit, I have received a quick response from Christine Ferris, Senior Advisor, Office of the President.

The respose to me states, " ..." so far as they do not exceed 750 ml total, you should have no concerns. In addition, we have made the ms Eurodam aware of this for your ..... sailing, .... ".:)

Great to see common sense prevail. But...

Having seen so many posts on CruiseCritic where HQ has said one thing and ship's crew another, you'd be wise to carry a copy of the response with you, just in case.

Good luck!

Great to see common sense prevail. But...

Having seen so many posts on CruiseCritic where HQ has said one thing and ship's crew another, you'd be wise to carry a copy of the response with you, just in case.

Good luck!

That would be mine concern as well. I doubt the security officer who scans you on board will be aware of this.

I suggest you take a copy of your e-mail with you just in case someone(s) on the Eurodam did not get the message.

It may be only a baby step, but it is a step backing off from the policy announced last July. Perhaps there will be room for reason by the end of January?

In the meantime, I agree with the others---bring the proof that you were told it will be all right to bring your 750 ml in separate bottles.

How very accommodating of them :rolleyes: They will go so far as letting you comply with their policy ! Simply amazing !

Agreed. I don't see how this changes anything, except that we can split up our allotment. I wonder if you will have to pay corkage per bottle, or per 750 mL?

The new policy starts on Jan 31, 2014, correct?

Good to know, thanks for taking the time to post this information. I would have not thought about the size.:)

I was annoyed since HAL prices their wine too high. I have booked a cruise on Princess and found their wine prices (similar policy) much more reasonable. I hope that HAL follows the same pricing that Princess does.

Totally agree with your logic! See signature below ;)

How very accommodating of them :rolleyes: They will go so far as letting you comply with their policy ! Simply amazing !

Since the policy explicitly states "1 bottle of wine not to exceed 750ml " then 2 bottles does not comply.

I heard on the news today that there might soon be a shortage of wine because production world wide isn't keeping up with consumption. People in France and America drink the most wine.

Edited by mamaofami

This policy is identical to the Princess policy.

My only real beef with the policy is that it doesn't allow you to bring on a bottle from a visited port. Say, for instance, you stop in Nice, Rome, San Francisco or other port near a wine producing region. Wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd like to bring a bottle of wine back from shore to enjoy in your cabin?

Actually, the same argument could be made for beer. Stopping in Amsterdam, London, Dublin, Germany, etc would be nice to bring back some of the local product.

I heard on the news today that there might soon be a shortage of wine because production world wide isn't keeping up with consumption. People in France and America drink the most wine.

While this is true when you table the total number of liters of wine consumed in a country, in the case of the U.S. it is simply due to the size of the population. When you consider the amount of wine consumed per capita, the U.S. does not even rate in the top 60 countries. France, on the other hand, is in 5th position in that regard.

Vive la difference ;)

Edited by taxmantoo

This policy is identical to the Princess policy.

My only real beef with the policy is that it doesn't allow you to bring on a bottle from a visited port. Say, for instance, you stop in Nice, Rome, San Francisco or other port near a wine producing region. Wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd like to bring a bottle of wine back from shore to enjoy in your cabin?

Actually, the same argument could be made for beer. Stopping in Amsterdam, London, Dublin, Germany, etc would be nice to bring back some of the local product.

I was told by friends that Princess allows wine to be brought on board in port with a $15 corkage fee when boarding.

Yes, Princess does allow you to bring on board as much as you like as long as you pay a $15 per bottle corkage fee. We took a whole case on our last cruise and it worked out beautifully. They stamped the bottles on boarding and we could then take them anywhere on the ship that our hearts desired.

We board a HAL ship tomorrow in Civitavecchia and are taking a bunch of wine on board. We also plan to replenish our stash in Spain to cover us for our crossing. Unless they change their proposed policy, this will definitely be our last HAL cruise. We also talked to a bunch a folks in the wine store her in Civitavecchia last night who were unaware of the pending policy changes. They were very surprised and said that it would definitely impact their future cruise line choices.

It will be interesting to see how this works.

Do you think you will ever hear from Mr. Kruse? or just the assistant?

Edited by MR NW GUY