Does it worry anyone else that...

reedl

The seapass cards are very insecure in terms of your cabin number being printed right on the front of the card? In the lower left corner is a number that is your cabin number. Anyone who finds this seapass could merely try that cabin number of the cabins on each floor until they enter the cabin you have.

For example I was in cabin 7130 on the Allure last week, and the lower left corner says 130.

So all someone would have to try is cabin 130 on each floor and would probably be able to get into my room quite quickly.

I know this is the worst kept secret on the ship since every time I was asked for my card to purchase something where they could not scan it, they only asked for my deck number.

Also I do not know how well the door system works, but if it works like most hotels, the card is programmed to open that door from date x to date y. The door cannot be programmed to ignore the old card. In hotels it is not an issue since there is no identifying information on the card. But on a ship, your name is on the card also. So even if you get a new seapass card, the old one might be able to open your door.

Just like hotel cards, they are programmed automatically for each guest. No need to worry about something like this. If you lose your card, your old card will no longer work.

I know this from experience as I locked myself out of my room on the Allure and they gave me a new card. When I tried the old card, it did not work.

The seapass cards are very insecure in terms of your cabin number being printed right on the front of the card? In the lower left corner is a number that is your cabin number. Anyone who finds this seapass could merely try that cabin number of the cabins on each floor until they enter the cabin you have.

For example I was in cabin 7130 on the Allure last week, and the lower left corner says 130.

So all someone would have to try is cabin 130 on each floor and would probably be able to get into my room quite quickly.

I know this is the worst kept secret on the ship since every time I was asked for my card to purchase something where they could not scan it, they only asked for my deck number.

Also I do not know how well the door system works, but if it works like most hotels, the card is programmed to open that door from date x to date y. The door cannot be programmed to ignore the old card. In hotels it is not an issue since there is no identifying information on the card. But on a ship, your name is on the card also. So even if you get a new seapass card, the old one might be able to open your door.

If the door can not be programmed to ignore the old card, then why, when doing a b2b, does the SeaPass from the first cruise not work on the second cruise??

Honestly, no I don't worry about that. Call me a Pollyanna, but I don't believe that someone would spend time with a sea pass card checking every deck to see if it opens a room. Are there career criminals on board ships...probably. But when I think about the possibility that a career criminal sailing on my cruise is going to find my sea pass card and proceed to find my room...we'll I'm no statistician , but I bet the odds are low.

I much prefer to worry about if they have enough of my favorite wine;)

Hmm, I just focus on not losing the card. Haven't had a problem in 20 cruises.

You can always get one of those lanyards to keep it around your neck if you're really worried about losing it....

I am not worried.

That three digit number has been in the same place for almost 3 years. If this was a problem at all, someone on CC would have said a bad passenger broke into my room with a lost seapass key.

My valuables are in the safe. If you found that one bad passenger that was willing to scan 6-7 decks... If they want my my tidy whiteys that bad...

I have thought about it, but I do not worry about it.

Maybe I do not worry because I have yet to really lose my seapass card. And if I ever do, odds are a crew member or an honest guest will find it.

On another line, DH had a card reissued for some access issue. He later tried the old card; it did not work. That line's card readers can clearly ignore old cards; I bet RCI's can, too. And the card readers indicated somebody was checking multiple cabin doors on multiple floors with an old card, I bet security would soon be reviewing their video to find the culprit.

I am not worried.

That three digit number has been in the same place for almost 3 years. If this was a problem at all, someone on CC would have said a bad passenger broke into my room with a lost seapass key.

My valuables are in the safe. If you found that one bad passenger that was willing to scan 6-7 decks... If they want my my tidy whiteys that bad...

Like you I'm not worried. There is one more thing that no one has mentioned. :p

Have you noticed the cameras in the ceiling of all the public areas? Guess who would be caught really quickly if they tried a card in the same room number of several decks? Even if they got the right deck the first time and you reported something missing in your room.......well, you get the picture. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, be happy! :D

Most crime on cruise ships is crime of opportunity - "see it, steal it".

The bar is too high for criminal operations or petty criminals (namely an expensive cabin) and there is little hope of escape- you are stuck onboard with the ill gotten goods (most criminals want hot stuff out of their possession pronto!) and of course the cameras everywhere that Pete mentioned:rolleyes: . Hotels etc are more at risk to criminal operations targeting them- why do you think they all have those " we aren't responsible for anything valuable left in your car" in the parking lots? Those rings target those sorts of situations- cheap to arrange, easy to get away and quickly unload the goods.

I'm more concerned about crimes on a person; pair alcohol and strangers and the risk for that is greater than someone taking your stuff.

I would venture to guess cameras are everywhere and lets face it the thief cannot get in his/her get away car and drive away lol

How incredibly silly. Of course the old key card can be locked out of the system. On a ship, in a hotel, in an office building... Whatever, on earth, makes you think otherwise?

My last cruise recently on Princess, I had problems with my card and it was changed 3 times in 4 days, The 2nd card ended up showing my photo and another mans, which caused me to be halted going off for a tour. Upon name and cabin check I was allowed to proceed off and when I got back from the tour and informed the attendant of the problem, I quickly went back to Guest relations for my 3rd Card. Someone forgot to clear the 2nd card when it was issued to me and not checked.

We found a sea pass card lying in the hallway on our deck a few weeks ago. I saw the 3 digit code and considered going and knocking on the door of the cabin on deck 8 (where we found it) to return it, but if it was the correct cabin, it was quite a ways down the hall from where we found it and we would have looked quite silly if it was not from the cabin on deck 8. Instead, we just returned the card to guest services. I would hope most people on a cruise would have better things to do than try to sneak into others' cabins.

don't worry about a lost key...worry about them issuing a key to your room. Then find out when someone opens the door while you are getting dressed!! Yes, this happened to our daughter in laws' parents. Purser's desk upgraded an entertainer and they gave him a key to an already occupied room:eek: Don't know who was more surprised. Purser's desk straightened it when entertainer went back down to desk and told them about the problem. Nothing a bottle of wine later sent to their room didn't fix;)

Not only is the old card disabled, but you are issued a new folio number so that somebody can't use your lost card to purchase anything onboard, either (I'd be more concerned about that). So no, don't worry about it. Touch wood, I haven't lost my card but I demagnetize it frequently and the old card is useless.

From my personal experience, the old cards won't work when a new card is created. I had a new card printed for me in the middle of my last cruise (had it changed to my middle name (the name I go by) & my C&A status updated). I tried both the old and new card in my door. ONLY the NEW card would work. My advice to you is just relax and enjoy your vacation. If you lose your Seapass, get a new one ASAP and access to your cabin will immediately be updated to your new card (AND removed from your old card).

Agree with everybody else, I do not worry about this. I would be far more concerned about the line up at Guest Services if there were NO numbers on the card. "I don't know my room number" :(

If you read the reviews, you will see a lot of people don't even know what ship they are on. " I just had a terrible cruise on Carnival's Freedom of the Seas....:rolleyes:"

Archived