Fitness Center - Marina

buggins0402

Just booked. We're fitness nuts. I couldn't find any pictures on the cruise line site. Is it decently equipped with aerobic equipment? Does it get overly crowded - if DH doesn't do 50 minutes continuous on a piece of aerobic equipment almost daily he thinks he'll meet his maker early!

Also - regarding fitness classes. Do they have spin?

Sorry, we're kind of strange - the first place we look at on a ship after embarkation is the fitness center.

They have a decent gym IMO

If you do a search here there are pictures or Jim will probably post some soon for you ;)

Spin classes for a fee

It will depend on the cruise ..sometimes it is crowded in the morning sometime there hardly anyone there ;)

I wish I had your ambition to exercise :D

Lyn

They have a decent gym IMO

If you do a search here there are pictures or Jim will probably post some soon for you ;)

Spin classes for a fee

It will depend on the cruise ..sometimes it is crowded in the morning sometime there hardly anyone there ;)

I wish I had your ambition to exercise :D

Lyn

Thanks! You are my Oceania fairy godmother!:)

Just booked. We're fitness nuts. I couldn't find any pictures on the cruise line site. Is it decently equipped with aerobic equipment? Does it get overly crowded - if DH doesn't do 50 minutes continuous on a piece of aerobic equipment almost daily he thinks he'll meet his maker early!

Sorry, we're kind of strange - the first place we look at on a ship after embarkation is the fitness center.

You are not kind of strange. Being interested in fitness is nothing to be ashamed of. Last year, I lost weight on my cruise...worked out 14 of the 18 days and watched what I ate. This past May cruise was a different story.

There are about 10 treadmills - good quality ones - and about as many Nordic track type machines. The machines and the gym tend to be business on sea days, and sometimes tgere is a short wait for a machine.

They have some nautilus type machines, free weights and a rowing machine.

I have not done any of the classes - they are held in a room next to the gym, with mats, balls.

The gym itself looks out over the starboard side so you get a view you don't have at home

I hope this helps - enjoy your cruise

There are about 10 treadmills - good quality ones - and about as many Nordic track type machines.

I hope this helps - enjoy your cruise

How about ellipticals and rowing machines? My wife uses the former, and I (with my arthritic back) the latter.;) And no, she's not weird. We've lost weight the last couple of cruises, although for anyone who's been on a Galapagos cruise, that's not saying much; everyone does.

True enough about the Gallapagos, but we did that cruise in August 1989 in a 12 passenger motor cruiser ... I was so seasick much of the time that it wasn't hard to lose weight ...

Mura

How about ellipticals and rowing machines? My wife uses the former, and I (with my arthritic back) the latter.;) And no, she's not weird. We've lost weight the last couple of cruises, although for anyone who's been on a Galapagos cruise, that's not saying much; everyone does.

4 or 5 ellipticals and one rowing machine, as I recall.

About the cycling classes, I have the class schedule from our 14-day Baltics cruise on the Marina in September. Indoor Cycling offered at 5 p.m. on the two sea days for a fee. Pilates was $11, so I imagine the cycling class was about the same. We had to sign up the day before for the for-fee classes.

Thanks all - Fitness center sounds like it will work with enough equipment relative to ship's size. And, 5 pm is a great time for spin classes for us - that's our usual work out time!

Also glad to hear there is a decent view. We're kind of spoiled - our municipal fitness center is by a lake and has a view.

It's so nice to see someone is as crazy as I am! I will not go anywhere without a gym!

Do you know if it is a Concept Two Rower?

Also, are there any "resistance" machines for strength-training and knee-flexion/extension? They are more osteoarthritis-friendly than free weights.

I'm sorry, I don't know about the rowing machine.

There are about four or five different weight-training machines (I recall using one for biceps) as well as free weights. Also some training equipment such as the Bosu half-ball.

It's so nice to see someone is as crazy as I am! I will not go anywhere without a gym!

Another kindred spirit that brings up the pictures of hotel fitness rooms before the pictures of the actual hotel room! I also bring up hotel location maps, look for nearby large parks or go on a website which has mapped running routes to see if they are close to a hotel we are considering.

Edited by buggins0402

• 4 months later...

I'm kind of confused by the stories of weight loss on a cruise. If you exercise as part of your daily life at home you most likelyto have worked out a diet that balances your caloric intake with your caloric expenditure ie exercise. I assume that if you are a Oceania cruiser the delicious food you get on board is higher in calories than what you eat at home. I just don't see how it is possible to increase your exercise total enough to lose weight without sacrificing eating the wondrous meals on O. I am a sixty five year old exercise fanatic who works out ninety plus minutes daily by jogging, weightlifting and stretching and my body just won't tolerate any more strenuous exercise. I use a Fitbit and my total walking and running usually comes out to 11-13 miles daily.If I were to increase my food intake on a cruise I would have to increase my exercise as well which my senior citizen body just cannot take anymore.

Please, please tell me how you do it as my next O cruise is in August on the Riviera.

I'm kind of confused by the stories of weight loss on a cruise. If you exercise as part of your daily life at home you most likelyto have worked out a diet that balances your caloric intake with your caloric expenditure ie exercise. I assume that if you are a Oceania cruiser the delicious food you get on board is higher in calories than what you eat at home. I just don't see how it is possible to increase your exercise total enough to lose weight without sacrificing eating the wondrous meals on O. I am a sixty five year old exercise fanatic who works out ninety plus minutes daily by jogging, weightlifting and stretching and my body just won't tolerate any more strenuous exercise. I use a Fitbit and my total walking and running usually comes out to 11-13 miles daily.If I were to increase my food intake on a cruise I would have to increase my exercise as well which my senior citizen body just cannot take anymore.

Please, please tell me how you do it as my next O cruise is in August on the Riviera.

I don't know if this was directed to me or not...but i will answer.

On O, i tend to eat better than at home. I eat lots of protein - chicken and fish (I don't eat red meat or pork) and eat lots of well prepared vegetables and salads. When I eat food like that, combined with exercise, I lose weight.

Tt home I tend to eat more bread, cheese, less chicken/fish, more "take out" foods...so I ten to gain weight at home unless i do enough exercise.

That's my - others are different

Do you know if it is a Concept Two Rower?

Also, are there any "resistance" machines for strength-training and knee-flexion/extension? They are more osteoarthritis-friendly than free weights.

Riviera has one Concept 2 Model E. Marina probably has the same.

There are weight machines covering the major exercises. There was one stepper, but its not the gauntlet type. I think the brand for all is Technogym. Nice stuff.

Riviera has one Concept 2 Model E. Marina probably has the same.

There are weight machines covering the major exercises. There was one stepper, but its not the gauntlet type. I think the brand for all is Technogym. Nice stuff.

The gym we use at home has Life Fitness, Cybex and Hammer Strength machines and to us it seemed the Technogym was not as good of quality. Of course it could be what one is used to.

They did get the job done, the hardest part is going to the gym.